It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moderate British Mosque the target of Bombing Attempt.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Walsall Mosque: Package Was Explosive Device

Almost 40 homes close to the mosque in Rutter Street, Walsall, were evacuated after bomb disposal experts were called to the scene.

The area remains condoned off, but 150 people who were moved from the vicinity are now being allowed back in their homes.

West Midlands Police said they were alerted after the item was found last night by a member of the public.

Sounds quite serious and extreme by any measure?

The mosque is known for its open policy, welcoming people from other religions. A spokesman said there have never been any problems at the venue.
(Source)

This is the worst case scenario IMO. Bombings starting right at the level of the least likely to have been anywhere near extremism. If the reports for how they were known are accurate, moderate is a reasonable description. I do hope they find whoever did this.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
So basically these people were targeted for being loving and open to people of other faiths? This is a sad state of affairs when the people most likely to lead Islam from the dark ages are being targeted by extremists.

S&F for you!

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

I don't know if that was the specific motive but it seems notable that it's the reputation and local view the Mosque has among the community. Odd, if not connected, eh?

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Great that is all we need over here, homemade bombs targeting Mosques..

Thats how to proceed into a brighter future.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
i have worked in that area and to say you can cut the tension with a knife is putting it mildly a lot of that areas are no go if you are from the wrong group .

shame as things like this only stir it up more

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Hopefully, the UK's oft slated cctv culture might provide a clue as to the identity of the #-stirrers who are trying to divide the UK's populace in this case. Whoever they are, the sooner they are locked up for the entirety of their miserable lives, the better.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by billdadobbie
i have worked in that area and to say you can cut the tension with a knife is putting it mildly a lot of that areas are no go if you are from the wrong group .

By "no go area," do you mean "an area where proud, working class whites left in their droves, allowing non-whites to dominate the area, and where now when whites want to go back and shake their heads, they are looked upon with rightful suspicion," by any chance?

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov

By "no go area," do you mean "an area where proud, working class whites left in their droves, allowing non-whites to dominate the area, and where now when whites want to go back and shake their heads, they are looked upon with rightful suspicion," by any chance?
i take it you have been there to i was the only white face in a street in oldham you should have seen the looks when i was going back to my digs at night

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov

i take it you have been there to i was the only white face in a street in oldham you should have seen the looks when i was going back to my digs at night

So, these digs you're staying at - I take it the rent is low enough to make the looks you are getting bearable, or have you been made to live there as a punishment of some sort?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
So, the Police are treating it as a "hate crime" (when is there a "love crime"?) - does that mean they think this is the work of the far-right, or are they looking into the possibility that it might be extremist Muslims trying to punish this Mosque for being open?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I lived the first 18 years of my life in Walsall, was schooled there and so on and so forth... but i have not spent any time there for over 12 years. I grew up down the road from this neighbourhood (ie a ten min walk at most) and spent a lot of time there - it had a bad reputation amongst outsiders, but that was due to ignorance imo - it was Walsall's most multi racial area at the time and quite rundown with it's fair share of social problems, but i spent a heap of time there as did many friends and i knew many folk who lived there - i never had a jot of trouble in the area personally, but it was poor so crime etc was obvs present.

As a schoolkid i actually visited Hindu, Sikh and Muslim places of worship in this area (Caldmore/Palfrey) and we were always made royally welcome.

I'm saddened by this, but not surprised simply as there were enough folk in town who were ignorant, xenophobic, racist or just downright stupid enough to explain this away. I expect that none of these factors have gone away, rather that recent events have amplified such feelings amongst those willing to fall for the divide and conquor that TWAT/TPTB require to tighten it's grip on the world's populace and resources.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I'm not saying it to be true in this specific case, but there have been recent 'bombing attempts' done by extremist muslims to try and frame the EDL in the Uk recently. This could be one of those so please don't jump to conclusions.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BarmyBilly

I have not read a great deal about this specific incident, and am not aware of any EDL link to this, supposed or otherwise.
There was a cross-burning in Walsall some fifteen years or so ago - am mobile at pres so can't seek a link, but it provides a little local "colour" for those who may be interested

ETA: re the cross burning, which i mention only to show that like many other places, Walsall has it's fair share of prejudice and idiocy, i'm providing a link for completeness's sake:

www.independent.co.uk... ning-cross-and-racist-literature-raise-klan-spectre-1539725.html

edit on 25-6-2013 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
The Independant

"It was found by one of our worshippers who after midday prayer was going home, and he had a look and it looked suspicious, so he picked it up and took it home.

Because that is what anyone in their right mind would do

“He showed it his wife and his wife said, 'Well, it looks like something suspicious so you should take it to the mosque'. So he brought it to the mosque but unfortunately there was nobody responsible in the mosque so he took it back home.

Another good idea, dont phone the police, take it to the mosque

So he brought it to the mosque but unfortunately there was nobody responsible in the mosque so he took it back home.

All this back and forth Im suprised the thing hadnt gone off

“Then he brought it back in the evening and then our imam had a look at it, and he took it home because nobody thought it was that serious.

Its nothing, best I take it home.
Why?

“I said it looks suspicious and we decided to call the police. As soon as the police came they said we should not have handled it.

So who decided to call the police, the bloke who found it in the first place, Im really confused.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
False flag.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by dam00

That story is all over the place. It's a bit like a "pass the suspicious package" party game. Hopefully more info will beome available soon.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by skalla
reply to post by dam00

That story is all over the place. It's a bit like a "pass the suspicious package" party game. Hopefully more info will beome available soon.

My first thought was that the chuckle brothers where back, to me, to you, to me, to you.
Im sure I heard or read a report, where someone claimed to have heard a loud bang
I smell BS

Edit
Here

So another failed anti muslim terror plot

Im sure any would be bomber or arsonist would do a bit of research, all these recent attacks and not even one casualty except a bit of smoke inhalation.
Nah! not buying it at all.

edit on 25-6-2013 by dam00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dam00

Dammit, i'm gonna have to star you for involking the chuckle brothers.

Did they add long beards to their already legendary 'taches?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The Independent

For clarity, it appears that the device itself only came to light after the "detonation":

Counter-terror police have been called in to assist with a major hate crime investigation after a small home-made bomb that had exploded near a mosque was discovered on Saturday night.

West Midlands Police confirmed the blast heard by residents on Friday “appeared to be consistent” with the device exploding. The remains of the device were not discovered until the following evening, when a member of the public found the remains.

Heard on Friday, then discovered on Saturday

The device was discovered in an alleyway adjoining the Aisha Mosque and Islamic Centre in Rutter Street on Saturday by a local man who took it home and showed it to his wife

Which is where this unusual game of pass the parcel begins.... but they were not passing the device prior to detonation

ETA: it is worth noting that the "sound" that has been taken as a detonation may be something else entirely

Mir Saeed, who lives around 50 yards away from the mosque, said: "I heard a big bang but I didn't think it was anything serious. It sounded like hitting metal with a piece of rock or something."

The Guardian

for arguments sake it could just have been a stone thrown by kids at a metal door for example

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by skalla
The Independent

For clarity, it appears that the device itself only came to light after the "detonation":

Counter-terror police have been called in to assist with a major hate crime investigation after a small home-made bomb that had exploded near a mosque was discovered on Saturday night.

West Midlands Police confirmed the blast heard by residents on Friday “appeared to be consistent” with the device exploding. The remains of the device were not discovered until the following evening, when a member of the public found the remains.

Heard on Friday, then discovered on Saturday

The device was discovered in an alleyway adjoining the Aisha Mosque and Islamic Centre in Rutter Street on Saturday by a local man who took it home and showed it to his wife

Which is where this unusual game of pass the parcel begins.... but they were not passing the device prior to detonation

ETA: it is worth noting that the "sound" that has been taken as a detonation may be something else entirely

Mir Saeed, who lives around 50 yards away from the mosque, said: "I heard a big bang but I didn't think it was anything serious. It sounded like hitting metal with a piece of rock or something."

The Guardian

for arguments sake it could just have been a stone thrown by kids at a metal door for example

So someone has taken the risk and time to build a bomb or explosive device and it has gone of causing little to no dammage

it just seems very fishy and half arsed to me. when a pigs head would cause much more devastation to the muslim community I say BS

top topics

<<   2 >>

join