It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA Computer Geek Talks About Hacking Cars

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Oh there are worse things then that. New cars now a days, while not all that bad, tend to have a lot of unnecessary things which will lead to a lot of unnecessary problems when compared to there older models some of which will likely still be around after the new ones are scrap metal. And that to is by design, you know making the $$ and all that.

Over all its pretty much given if things get more technological and digital and interlaced one day you may even be able to drive your car using your cellphone, and even unnamed, or do a whole bunch of things like that, the only downside would be is if you could do it. So can anybody else if they have the know how, the will, and the tech. Technology is in many ways is a double edged sword of which the implications wont really be felt a long ways of in the future, right now were in the spiffy shinny new things stage, but that to will change one day. But such is progress.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by EasyPleaseMe
reply to post by burntheships

Luckily there still aren't any cars that I know of that use 'Brake By Wire' so it is always possible to slam on the anchors.

I think you overlooked something... If someone has control of your cars computer, then it could alter your ABS system significantly. ABS stands for Anti Lock Brake system after all.... You could not just slam on the "anchors".

Just make your computer think you are in a skid and it will release the brakes. No matter what position your brake peddle is in.

ABS is supposed to release and grab many times a second, but the computer controls that function too...

ETA: unless you mean literally throw an anchor out the window... but I don't have one in my car...

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nuke2013
.....Car starts doing sh!t on its own... I turn the ignition key off ! If that doesn't work..Good thing I have installed a kill switch on the main positive battery wire.

Problem solved.

Wrong...

Sorry, but if you hit your kill switch doing 60 mph down the highway on a dark night, nothing would happen...

A car does not need a battery to run...

The combustion will keep the engine running. The alternator will even produce 12v for your accessories to operate... A car only needs the battery to start "cranking" the engine and maybe produce a spark.

In the old days, a hand crank would do the batteries job and crank over the engine to start the combustion process.

ETA: Damn, forgot about electric cars.... Ok, in that case it would probably work... But not with a gasoline type car.
edit on 24-6-2013 by ByteChanger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ByteChanger

ETA: unless you mean literally throw an anchor out the window... but I don't have one in my car...

that must be a pretty old model you have to not have a window!

we are being led by the nose with this hastings 'story'.
i wonder where 'they' are trying to take us?

it seems to me that the U.S. is being deliberately brought down from within.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TopsyTurvyOne

The car is not old. (But good catch)

It doesn't have a window because I threw an anchor and forgot to roll the window down.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TopsyTurvyOne

The car is not old. (But good catch)

It doesn't have a window because I threw an anchor and forgot to roll the window down.

you must of felt like a right anchor after doing that!

i know the window was smashed. were you too?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
If you're in a car that starts misbehaving, turn off the ignition. Simply turn the key. Provided it's not an electric car that will stop any acceleration and you'll slow down pretty quickly.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

Most modern cars are electronic ignition, newer ones dont have a "key" per say
its a little nub like insert that has an electronic signal in it.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Well if you're talking about car technology then let me tell you guys that soon the cars will be equipped with nitrogen gas technology which will assist them to levitate about 7 meters from the ground. I'm a programmer and I got the chance to work for a secret motor industry (name shouldn't be disclosed here).

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Originally posted by EasyPleaseMe

Luckily there still aren't any cars that I know of that use 'Brake By Wire' so it is always possible to slam on the anchors.

That you know of....

“We typically think of it as most involved with our infotainment systems, but software is really involved in engine performance, brakes, everything. And anything with software is potentially vulnerable. It's hard to say what can be done to prevent it.”
www.nydailynews.com...

Your probably safe there in your cubicle.

This mostly applies to Anti Lock Brakes, which when the brakes are slammed pulse them many times a second, much faster than a human could, also in traction control, which pulses individual brakes when the vehicle sensors detect slippage.

In regards to braking in general, I wont say they are horribly common, but I am sure on some newer vehicles that brakes are somehow routed through the vehicle ECU. Brakes are like virtually any other vehicle component, run through Electrical relays and Solenoids. This is borderline tin foil hattery here, but if a certain journalist who recently met a fiery end's vehicle had someone tamper with a relay, loosen up a clamp on the master cylinder to give a delayed reaction and was then remotely taken over, the possibility is there. Im a vehicle mechanic in the armed forces, and while fancy gear is a bit to rich for our blood, Ive heard of new wireless diagnostic systems for more modern vehicles, sync it up with the cars bluetooth and wirelessley retrieve trouble codes... anything is possible.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ByteChanger

Even if the car thought it was in a skid you would still stop. ABS would not simply "release the brakes". ABS pulses pressure to the brakes extremely fast, it does not just release the brakes altogether as that would be stupid (technical term :p )

The ONLY way Hastings would not have been able to stop the car would be if somebody physically tampered with his braking components. Yes you could theoretically tell the ABS to suddenly apply the brakes on one side of the car which, at 100mph, would completely screw you.

I'm not saying Hastings car could not be hacked, I'm saying there is no way you could hack his vehicle to prevent him from braking. No one uses electronic brakes because an electronic malfunction could get people killed, and trust me I've have spent many days fixing electronic malfunctions in every type of vehicle out there so its not like they are a rare occurrence. I would NEVER buy any vehicle with a brake by wire system if one of these car companies finally gets stupid enough to try it.

Source: I am a full time mechanic 10+ years

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
BBC news is covering the story now

www.bbc.co.uk...

They demonstrate how much control of the vehicle they could achieve sat in the back seat.

However the naysayer's don't think of it as a true hack as a physical connection is involved.
I guess they never heard of an ODBII bluetooth dongle, £10 on ebay and probably 30 foot range without any modification.
The odb port is usually out of sight under the dash or bonnet so easy to hide.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlausibleDeniability

I'm not saying Hastings car could not be hacked, I'm saying there is no way you could hack his vehicle to prevent him from braking. ......

Source: I am a full time mechanic 10+ years

Question, what if the wheels were blown off, I guess that could be a problem?

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
rehjs to post by burntheships

Well his wheels were still on so I'm not sure what your getting at there...

But if you really want an answer to that, yes, technically his brakes would still work and would stop the rotational movement of the hubs. Except you would have no tires to roll on in the first place so it wouldn't really matter.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by starfoxxx
Hasting had a pretty modern car with a lot of computer systems... Now we know THEY CAN r/c your car, watch out whistleblowers..

maybe the whistleblowers should start on re buying the Yugo. Sure it wasn't the best car still the car cant be hacked. Even the older models are fine.
edit on 17-8-2013 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join