It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thrift store popularity increases along with their pricing.... :/

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Remember the peanut butter crisps bars? They were small rectangular in shape and were white with brown stripes? They were slightly hard and chewy and PB flavored? OMG I loved those things and I can't find them anywhere!

I sure do. On a side note, Nice avatar. "We can only hope that this will be the last footwear to fall." SG reference

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Remember the peanut butter crisps bars? They were small rectangular in shape and were white with brown stripes? They were slightly hard and chewy and PB flavored? OMG I loved those things and I can't find them anywhere!

I think these are what you're talking about Peanut butter bars 3lb for $9.99
edit on 23-6-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

I am not poor or impoverished and I love going to the thrift stores.
I like to go to these stores to buy clothes to wear around my son's
farm,extra clothes for back up and vintage linens and cookware.I
have been buying up old blankets,toys and books.
One time I was shopping at the goodwill store and this man was
mumbling under his breath.He looked at me and said that he never
thought the day would come when he would have to shop for clothes
at the goodwill store.With these bad times we are in and more people
losing their jobs,homes...suddenly finding themselves having to shop
at thrift stores,it is a bitter pill to swallow.
I have noticed that the prices are getting higher than they should be.
They want nearly the same price as new for used sheets and blankets.
They wanted a $1.99 for a little burp blanket that should only have been
around 25 cents to 50 cents.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Cannibal economy and picker mentality are to blame. Since the economy went down and people are out of work they have turned to scavenging. With shows like "American Pickers" and "Storage Wars" (these shows are scripted btw) everyone thinks they can cash in on hidden treasures. I know many people who are buying storage units and trying to flip the items online but with so many people competing and the rarity of the items prices are only going up.

I collect retro games from the 8 and 16 bit era and there has been an explosion in that market. Used to be you could find games cheap but now people go and buy all of the games up in bulk at thrift stores and garage sales and Ebay them or go to flea markets and set up a stall/booth and charge top price. Now stores like GW and the Salvation army have picked up on this. Goodwill has their own Ebay type auction site and I have seen NES games reach $1000+ dollars on there. Some of the larger cities take the good items donated to Goodwill and ship them to a center to be auctioned online and unless you have a sniping program you will be in some serious bid wars.

The best bet is to find local charities and stay away from the big name ones like Goodwill and the Salvation Army.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Hear! Hear!

The Salvation Army store's prices can vary.....but some prices are a bit steep...for used...IMHO>

Now, St Vincent de Paul rocks!!!!
Almost all of the artwork on my walls came from there....some excellent amateur work included....but all looks great in my home

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I don't shop at thrift stores.

Though, I have been to plenty of Garage/Estate sales in the past.

Even if you're not looking for anything, garage sales can be somewhat amusing.
It's funny to see all the used junk people are trying to get rid of, and sometimes you might get lucky.

A while ago, I actually bought a 'brand-new' aquarium from a garage sale.
It was $30, and came if everything. I think they said it was set up for about a month, but you couldn't beat it. They were moving, and didn't have room for it. (or something like that.)
__

I've heard of some people having a hobby of going around to Estate sales, and buying out all of the VHS tapes for like $1. And then go looking through other peoples home-videos. Lmao. A little strange, but it would be kind of interesting, - all of the creepy things people might record. Haha.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
My friend and I love shopping at second hand stores and we too have noticed some over-priced items lately. The thing is, most people are wise and won't pay the asking price so the store will be forced to put it on sale. Hopefully, if enough people stand their ground and refuse to pay the increased prices, they will think twice. Or...maybe I'm just dreaming. LOL

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
no kidding, I went to a thrift store in my neighborhood a few years back and they were selling a hamster cage filled with half used bird supplies for $20 ... the store I worked for sold the same "hamster cage" with actual hamster supplies for $25 brand new so i asked the lady how much the cage would be without the bird stuff and she wouldn't sell it without old bird supplies in it... seriously. a cage much to small for budgies stuffed with opened budgie food and supplies... it was then i took a second look almost considering buying it off the miserable woman anyway since most thrift store's donate to charity in my area, and realized it was rusted in the corners and still had hamster pee stains... and bird poo on a bar... I almost threw it and left without purchasing anything. which I am glad for since shortly afterwards i found out the only thing this cramped and smelly shop was funding was her own lazy garbage picking pockets... (I don't think garbage pickers are lazy, just old crones who try to overprice fresh garbage they haven't even cleaned up)
definitely be sure your well informed when shopping anywhere second hand or not or you will be scammed.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The main reason this has happened is that you have these Ebay millionaires buying at $1 and selling the used item at $100. It has gotten so bad at some good wills that you have what is now called professional buyers who are looking specifically for certain items they will hit every good will in their area one day and have everything they bought listed on their Ebay page the next day some of the items are 2000% marked up.

Amazon, Ebay and even Craigslist has become a nightmare. you no longer can get any good deals and I find most of the products sold there are more than at the stores new.

Sorry but poor folk just trying to provide for their families get stuck with nothing good to get their families while the Ebay Millionaires take home ALL for themselves.

501's should not be able to sell at a profit but we cant stop those making money from taking from those in need.
it is the American free market working at its best and only the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

edit on 23-6-2013 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
you know peopl talk about the "the big carbon footprint" then send everything to the dump and buy all new recycled paper and plastic goods just to throw it away again.

My concept is to reprocess old items to be used. I got an old waffle iron from the 40's for $1 at a yard sale. It makes waffles faster than the newer ones and doesn't cool down so no waiting between waffles. the same with all sorts of items that have been filling our landfills for 60years. most of it could have been repaired (many doing that now) and reprocessed for use. Jeans can be made into many things not just aprons and you can redesign other jeans and clothes instead of sending them to the dump.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
It's that damn "Thrift Shop" song.

It's now the cool thing to do...

And he likes to claim he's "giving back to the community"
BS

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by billdadobbie
ebay uk is the same idiots are paying more second hand than the original price new
what planet are some of these people on

That's true I have bid on a few items that went for more than new. And buying new came with free delivery.

eBay UK is swamped by sellers that sell common items for a lot more than new. I have often wondered if the cause is money laundering.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Everyone has been brainwashed to be stupid little consumerist piggies. Selling used things at new prices is a sin, but they don't know any better.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
"popularity"? no, i'd say necessity.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I know it's probably not the case with most of the examples given, but some old things are hard to get. Either they've stopped making them, or were replaced with inferior products.

If I somehow managed to find solid black Mens Reebok Air Walks of 1994 vintage of the right size unused and like new in a box, I'd likely be willing to pay around new shoe prices for them. Probably the most comfortable shoes I remember having, but when they wore out the stupid company stopped making them. (Well they still made air walk shoes, but with gaudy awful colors and the fit isn't anywhere the same as what I wanted to replace.)

There's probably a few electronic items like headphones and computer peripherals that would qualify too. I remember Sony even made some headphones that were really good for the price, and now you'd have to buy higher priced like Sennheiser (of course a lower end model of that brand) to get something comparable.

Of course such things are likely the minority or are rare finds at most thrift stores. But if you happen to know what to look for...

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Prices are ridiculous in thrift stores now, something new at Walmart is almost cheaper, especially electronics and housewares.

They don't support the poor that's BS. Thrift stores get free labor through community service, they pay no taxes and everything is donated.

I don't support the scam places like Goodwill's and Salvation Army's, I give my stuff to mom&pop thrift/consignment stores.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
goodwill has gotten expensive...and they are picky with what they take, god forbid the furniture should have a little scratch...people can fix that, but, oh no they can't take it.

my kids got tired of hearing me say how expensive everything is, especially food...I remember my father-in-law visiting and taking us out to a fancy resteraunt...$6.00 for a great meal....I finally have accepted that prices are high theses days!

garage sales..yeah we had one long time ago maybe 20 years ago we had a few russian neighbors from down the block..we had low prices, they tried to get us to lower our prices .....we actually caught one trying to steal stuff from our garage sale!!!! yes I am serious!!

I also notices that the goodwill gets batches of new things like I see at the dollar store

edit on 24-6-2013 by research100 because: correct spelling

edit on 24-6-2013 by research100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I LOVE to shop at Good Will and am still buying jeans there for $3.00 a pair! I guess I may need to go stock up before the price hike hits here, I just went and bought 5 dresses in there the other day for around $25.00. I hate dressing up and needed a dress for a wedding the next day and decided to get one for a funeral too while I was there. The prices were so good, I did get several for "just in case".

I have noticed the garage sale price increases. I think some folks think their "junk" is treasure. They want to use a product for 10 years and sell it to you for what they paid.
These are usually the type of people who do not "need" to have a garage sell for money.

I have not been to the local Salvation Army to check their prices, but they have been higher in the past than the local Good Will.

Like someone above posted... I too blame the "Trendies"... and Obama. Mostly Obama.
Kidding.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
So true! I notice a lot of the used clothes from these stores stink like mold/mildew and even tho they claim the items are washed/dry cleaned first....I think not. Many have stains and other gross looking discolorations on them. I tried buying a few blouses that looked kinda o.k. but when I washed them they were so dry-rotted, they fell apart. I remember a lil relative of mine used to say, "Hey, this store smells like old people".
Most of the stores do have a smell that hits ya as soon as you walk in...yuck. Not necessarily old just dirty kinda smell?

I notice the prices in all of them are ridiculous too. I have seen many nic-nac items straight out of the dollar tree store that are being sold for over a dollar at the thrift shops. Is especially sad to see medical impliments such as wheel chairs, walkers, canes, crutches and such being sold for very high prices to poor folks that are ill and need them the most.

I feel sorry for folks who genuinely need something at a bargain price and can't find such anymore. Garage sales...I rarely find a good deal any more. Military thrift shops not so hot also. Old fatigue uniforms probably loaded with DU, (you can't wash radiation out), go for enuf and folks don't realize they aren't a good idea to wear/own...same as "souveniers" (sp) from war...not a good idea.

ebay has become a joke. Husband used to buy used computers and fix them and give them to neighbors/ friends/family or sell them for a lil profit...can't do that anymore...folks want way to much for really old beyond redemption junk.

Young couples just starting out can hardly ever find some nice pieces of furniture or even baby clothes and such without it being all old and stinky and gross. Is sad. Also true, rudeness abounds at the check out counters anymore. I just gave a bunch of nice curtains and bedding and lamps and computers and desk and chairs and even table set to some young neighbor newly weds....seems like no one cares anymore. Hubby and I have always been the type to give the shirt off our backs almost, yet we don't hear of many doing such of late. Dunno....wish things were better and different for all. Hugs and love to all. ^j^

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Youve hot to understand whats happening here...its plain simple corporatism.....
There are now corporate thrift shops
These arent your friendly church group.......
Try going to thrift shops staffed with volunteers.....
They are the only ones you have a chance at getting a" half assed "pair of jeans for 4or5 bucks....
Bag slaes at these thrift shops are usually all you can stuff in for 2.50 or so.....
church rumage sales....the lions sales or other once a year sales by charities....

The Diabetes society in my country collects the stuff and sell it by the ton to corporate thrift shops.....
Fixed income people are to be starved out of existance, taken off the roads, and put out in the streets before this all ends.......you see where its going dont you?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join