It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Egyptian statue has started MOVING sparking fears it has been struck by a

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Notice its only moving when their is light.

At first i thought it was sun light but, when its dark out side it movies.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
My guess is, if you set the cameras recording again, while simultaneously recording the traffic on the busy main road right by the place, the movement would tally with the times of the heaviest volume of traffic.

ps. The statue also has to have a slightly raised point somewhere near the centre of its base.
edit on 23-6-2013 by IvanAstikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Logical explanation

Baring in mind I just watched the video and haven't read the entire thread yet, so I apologise if this has already been touched upon.

Explanation;
1. The statue is placed upon a very shiny, smooth glass surface.
2. The statues base is elongated, unlike the other statues that are next to it.
3. When people walk past it vibrates/wobbles the glass, which may not be perfect level, causing the statue to ever-so-slightly turn.
4. This continues until the statues elongated end faces the "downhill" direction of the glass surface (being toward the back of the cabinet).

Notice that it stops at 180* and no longer continues to move - this to me indicates that the elongated end is putting the statue off-balance. The bottom of the statue is most likely not flat either and could act as a pivot.

Sound reasonable enough?

~ CrzayFool

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
My guess is, if you set the cameras recording again, while simultaneously recording the traffic on the busy main road right by the place, the movement would tally with the times of the heaviest volume of traffic.

ps. The statue also has to have a slightly raised point somewhere near the centre of its base.

I suppose that, after 80 years of being in the museum, the statue suddenly started to rotate in synchrony with the traffic/visitors.

I support looking for scientific explanations before considering paranormal ones. But let's make them sensible as well as scientific, shall we? After all, if environmental vibrations were the cause, why did it never happen during the past 80 years? What's the value of a mechanistic explanation if it cannot explain why the phenomenon started only recently, when the volume of traffic and visitors is not likely more than it was, say, six months ago when the statue did not rotate?

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Come on people did you not spot it ?????????????

It only moved whilst the lights were on during the day and my guess is that the owner is pleased that the value for the object has gone up from $20,000 to $2,000,000 in the blink of an eye

Make no mistake, things can be moved that are not explained by any science I know about but I dont think this is it

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by micpsi

Originally posted by IvanAstikov

I suppose that, after 80 years of being in the museum, the statue suddenly started to rotate in synchrony with the traffic/visitors.

I support looking for scientific explanations before considering paranormal ones. But let's make them sensible as well as scientific, shall we? After all, if environmental vibrations were the cause, why did it never happen during the past 80 years? What's the value of a mechanistic explanation if it cannot explain why the phenomenon started only recently, when the volume of traffic and visitors is not likely more than it was, say, six months ago when the statue did not rotate?

They may have been displaying the statue for 80 years, but has it always been in that location? If it has, then I agree that the mechanistic explanation seems a lot more flimsy.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I would like to know if that museum has any music playing during the day. I have a strong feeling this is caused by vibration, and another factor.

1: The base of the statue is irregular, and it causes the statue to act like a "rattleback" or "wobblestone" when there are small vibrations cause by sounds, or any other source of vibration.
en.wikipedia.org...

2: The statue is partially ferromagnetic, and small vibrations reduce friction and allow the statue to more easily align with the magnetic flux lines of Earth, or another source of magnetism.
edit on 23-6-2013 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-6-2013 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by VirusGuard
Come on people did you not spot it ?????????????

It only moved whilst the lights were on during the day and my guess is that the owner is pleased that the value for the object has gone up from $20,000 to $2,000,000 in the blink of an eye.

I think anyone willing to pay extra for a statue's ability to move of its own accord would want a bit more proof of its powers than have been made available thus far.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by crzayfool
Logical explanation

Baring in mind I just watched the video and haven't read the entire thread yet, so I apologise if this has already been touched upon.

Explanation;
3. When people walk past it vibrates/wobbles the glass, which may not be perfect level, causing the statue to ever-so-slightly turn.
4. This continues until the statues elongated end faces the "downhill" direction of the glass surface (being toward the back of the cabinet).

Notice that it stops at 180* and no longer continues to move - this to me indicates that the elongated end is putting the statue off-balance. The bottom of the statue is most likely not flat either and could act as a pivot.

Sound reasonable enough?

~ CrzayFool

No, because your theory does not explain why it has only started to happen after 60 years of being in the museum. Suggesting that the volume of traffic or visitors suddenly increased to the point that the vibrations they were causing became strong enough to make the statue wobble about its axis does not sound very plausible to me. Don't you think the musem curators would have noticed by now if the statue was not lying flat on a surface because it was showing signs of wobble? It would have been one of the first things they checked. Yet they seem still mystified by what is going on. So I remain unconvinced by your explanation.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by crzayfool

1) Why hasn't it happened before?

Although what you're proposing is perfectly possible, it doesn't account for the newness of it. Also, your assuming that the statues base's "elongation" is something new and unusual. I'm sure there are other statues on display in many different museums with similarly elongated bases.

In any case, they can of course test this hypothesis - and they should.

I imagine the idea of putting a level on top of the glass has been done already. If it has and the glass surface is perfectly level, how then can you account for the 180* turn?

this to me indicates that the elongated end is putting the statue off-balance.

Just asking: is it completely out of the question that there might be a "supernatural" explanation?

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I find it pretty odd it stays in one place at daytime.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astrocyte

Just asking: is it completely out of the question that there might be a "supernatural" explanation?

No, but if the museum has done any valid testing to rule out more mundane explanations, it certainly isn't being forthcoming about the fact.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
This is my first post on ATS so go easy on me

Finally read through all of the posts and watched the video numerous times. The best video I have found is here: www.huffingtonpost.com...

Just a few points to touch on:
1) If it were due to vibration, wouldn't the other statuettes be moving as well?

2) Being that it's been in the museum for 80 years, if it were due to vibration, why hadn't it moved before just recently?

3) Is the direction the statue ends up facing at 180 degrees from where it began significant at all with any egyptian land mark(s) that would be in the direct line of sight of the line the statue ends up looking? (Almost as if the statue is facing reverently towards something)

4) In the video, there are a total of 6 days and 6 nights that occur. It's almost as if it's a clock of some sort because day/night 1 corresponds with the statue stopping at hour 11 (if you were to imagine a clock face). Day/night 2 corresponds with hour 10 and so on, etc.

Just some thoughts however abstract they may be. Although, I think a statuette moving upon it's own accord is more abstract that my conjectures

_javascript:icon('
')

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by WeAre0ne

I would imagine music in a museum is not so unusual.

Question: if the glass surface is level, why would the ferromagnetic statue all of a sudden start moving? Another question: How do you know the statue is ferromagnetic? If it is ferromagnetic, as you assume, than there must be some "attractor" - some highly magnetic item nearby, that is causing the statue to rotate 180* along it's elongated or "irregular" base during the vibrationally heavy daytime.

I of course think it's important that we test all possible physical explanations before we jump the gun and say "it's a poltergeist". That's what an atheistic "rationalist" would love: to make an ass of the gullible. But, I think the museum people would know if anything especially magnetic had entered the museum.

There should be a list of possibilities to check, some of which sound plausible:

1) levelness of the glass surface
2) irregular shape of the base
3) presence of highly magnetic items nearby,

It could be a multitude of factors working together causing the statue to turn around 180*. It is interesting that it doesn't go the whole way (indicating a asymmetry to the statues base). A prerequisite, however, is that it be new - that whatever caused this statute to move has recently entered the statues proximity.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
It only moves when people are walking around, so it must be the vibrations or something like that. As for the other statues, maybe they weigh more or are attached to the ground more steadily.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by litlirishone

Great first post and observations.

Welcome To ATS !

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
leave my shyte alone
edit on 23-6-2013 by AkhenatenII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Actually, I hate to sound antipathetic, but her observations sort of ignore the interesting possibilities suggested by crzayfool and weareone.

litlirishone jumps straight to the supernatural-metapysical explanation without first considering the logical explanation. In my opinion, that's shoddy reasoning.

I get that's probably where she - and you - are coming from, but you should learn to take subjects like this in stride. First, consider the probable explanations: vibration causing movement.

If these explanations don't hold up after testing it, than we can entertain hoopla like the statue seeking alignment with an ancient Egyptian landmark (which sounds ridiculous).

Unlike most skeptics here, I am not completely averse to a spiritual explanation. But if it is spiritual, it'll by definition be without definition. Why did it turn? You could ascribe symbolic meaning to the notion of "turning"; or you could imagine, less plausibly, that the statue is seeking alignment, like this were a scene taken straight from the '5th element'.

The idea of 'turning' away, doesn't strike one as malevolent, but rather, remonstrative. It's as if the spirit causing the movement were saying: EXPLAIN THIS!

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
That they began recording the statue the day after April the First makes me feel this might have been an April Fool idea which grew legs when the money-spinning possibilities were realised.

"Roll up! Roll up! Get yer revolving Osirises. Only ten quid a pop!"

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
How would you like to stand in the same position all day long, every day. Maybe the statue got sick of that.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join