It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tory rebels introduce alternate Queen's Speech

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
A group of right-wing members of the Conservative Party in the UK have introduced a raft of measures that they want to see adopted by the rest of the party - here.
They include privatising the BBC, reintroducing National Service (the draft for the US readers on here), bringing back the death penalty, leaving the European Union, a referendum to ban gay marriages and the renaming of the late August Bank Holiday as Margaret Thatcher Day.
They seem to think that the above ideas are vote-winners. Well yes - if they wanted the votes of far right nutcases.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Do they put their names to it? If so it will save time when we go and string them up for this.
Idiots...they have no connection with us little people and I hope everyone loses their seats in parliament.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

Bring back the death penalty?!

We're supposed to be moving forwards, not back to the middle ages mentalities.

State sanctioned murderers to punish public murderers...yeah...brilliant logic.

I'll go along with leaving the EU though, as far as political integration goes anyway...and National service? Not when our leaders go to war if another country so much as farts in their general direction!

In decades of peace, it would do much to give our young people a sense of purpose and pride in our country though, but i suspect it's more about replenishing the ranks with cheap disposable cannon fodder, and not much to do with giving young men and women a purposeful direction and sense of pride.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Do they put their names to it? If so it will save time when we go and string them up for this.
Idiots...they have no connection with us little people and I hope everyone loses their seats in parliament.

Yup, and the full list (with names attached) is listed here.
Total nutjobs.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I have not read the full list yet, but a lot of the points do make a lot of sense... apart from the "Thatcher Day" thing!

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
I have not read the full list yet, but a lot of the points do make a lot of sense... apart from the "Thatcher Day" thing!

Well given the fact that they seem to have nothing but total contempt for their own leader, I think that the entire list is insane.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
It's basically a list of the most green arrowed comments made on the Dail Mail comments section, edited for public consumption as a manifesto.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
It's basically a list of the most green arrowed comments made on the Dail Mail comments section, edited for public consumption as a manifesto.

Frightening thought, isn't it?

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   

renaming of the late August Bank Holiday as Margaret Thatcher Day

A day I suspect when most will choose to work rather than errrr ... Celebrate ?

It sounds like the real tory party is bubbling just beneath the surface , Ca-moron is in so much trouble with his party I wonder which ones he'll adopt to pacify the rebels .

Oh and stop spying on us

edit on 23-6-2013 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Being a yank, I can't really comment on Thatcher, the death penalty has never been off the table here (but I'm not a proponent), and conscription in the US ended just as I was coming of age (high draft #). There is one immutable fact: reinstating National Service will eventually resolve the travesty of capricious wars - when people's children are dying through NO choice of their own, the public will make itself heard, at least that's what happened in the US.
I firmly believe that if the draft were reinstated in the US the public outcry would demand extraction and reduce our military's use to infuse cash into the MIC.

Over time, give it a decade or so.

ganjoa
edit on 23-6-2013 by ganjoa because: added closing

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

A sad fact is that these proposals would meet with varying degrees of public support.

My personal thoughts;

They include privatising the BBC,

Why?
Sure there's problem's at the Beeb, as in every organisation, but there are plenty of privatised TV companies and stations - much prefer to see the BBC address it's problems whilst remaining publicly owned.

reintroducing National Service

This deserves consideration and debate without which I'm not entirely certain where I stand on this.

bringing back the death penalty,

Unfortunately this would get quite considerable support in some quarters - I think it would be a backwards step.

leaving the European Union,

Whether we do or don't isn't really the issue - we need an open and honest debate on the subject prior to a referendum on continued membership. The British people never voted for political union and the transference of sovereignty.

a referendum to ban gay marriages

Don't entirely disagree with the notion of a referendum on almost anything, but I'd certainly vote against any ban.

and the renaming of the late August Bank Holiday as Margaret Thatcher Day.

I can't believe that anyone would take such an abhorent suggestion seriously.

join