It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starbucks pays UK corporation tax for first time since 2009

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Coffee giant Starbucks has paid £5m in UK corporation tax - its first such tax payment since 2009 - the company has announced. A company spokeswoman said it had listened to its customers and would pay another £5m later this year

BBC Source

Thank you so much starbucks for agreeing to pay your tax! We, the proles of great Britain, are GREATFUL that you have decided to put back into the system instead of just taking from it!

/End sarcasm.

Starbucks has only reported taxable profit once in 15 years in the UK.

Starbucks reportedly paid just £8.6m in corporation tax in the UK over 14 years and nothing in the last four years - despite sales of £400m last year.

Im no expert, but whether you're making a profit or not, business should be taxed, no?

Just seems silly that our government and their customers are ASKING THEM NICELY to pay their tax instead of forcing them to. If you're not gonna pay tax, you shouldnt be allowed to trade in this country, how simple does it have to be?

Are the lunatics running the asylum!?

I never buy coffee from star bucks and this is reason enough for me to never enter into one of their stores again. What a joke. Thanks for paying your tax, much appreciated, here's a pat on the back and a lolly pop - Keep you sweet so you'll agree to pay it next year.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
It just amazes me that our UK gov taxes us citizens silly, cuts public spending ruthlessly, pursues little people for pennies & all the time giant worldwide corporations pay little or nothing into our economy while making hundreds of millions from us.
I wonder whose interests the UK gov. serves?

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

They've obviously been looking at the books and seen that the UK population has been successfully boycotting them, enough to make it worthwhile for them to actually start to fix their image problem.

It was pretty astounding from a Public Relations perspective (something I am very interested in) because they really didn't do anything in the UK to fight the attack on their image. They just pretty much remained silent on the whole issue.

The problem with corporations voluntarily paying their tax comes down to the power they have and the ability they have for tying up our HMRC in legal wrangles.

HMRC could demand that a corporation pay taxes, but the corporation owing £1 bil can then afford to spend £10 mil in court to fight it. They're in a win-win situation here. They either pay what they owe after a couple of years of fighting it, or they get HMRC to the table for a deal to pay less, or HMRC just doesn't bother with the costs of trying to get them to pay up.

You or I don't have a choice, we can't afford to fight a tax bill, and even if we did we have no loopholes to use.

This is why there are believed to be so many corporations in the UK who make special deals with HMRC to pay a fraction of what they actually owe, because our government cannot afford to take them all to court and spend billions forcing them to pay up.

But, the missing puzzle piece in this is public opinion and pressure. These corporations only have a market here thanks to us. If we are not happy with them not paying tax it's up to us to boycott them and force them to pay. It's no good sitting back and complaining that our government isn't going after them or that they're using loopholes while we continue to give them our money.

People need to realize the power they have to change things. If a bank threatens to leave the UK if they're made to pay their taxes or fix the damage they have done, threaten them and tell them that if they do leave they'll have no market share in this country. If a corporation declines to pay what they owe, boycott them and tell them they are not welcome. If a corporation like Google is supporting the mass monitoring of free people, stop using them, go to another!

It's angered me for years that people are so weak with their morality and ethics. I have boycotted Starbucks, Nestle, Coca Cola, McDonalds, Amazon and several others for their practices in tax avoidance and their behavior around the world, it's not hard to do, and it makes a big impact when enough people actually bother to have a spine.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
That is shocking, just wow, i often wonder how long they think they can go
in this fashion, i urge anyone who doesn't already know to look up how
businesses work in say Honduras, the companies there take such advantage
of tax law and utilities that it is on the verge of collapse, anyone who thinks
companies can be trusted should really read into that information, it just
goes to show that even if they will suffer in the long run they will still bleed
a country and its people dry.

The irony is that tax law in the U.S. is so complicated it actually facilitates
things like this as well, im sure the tax laws in the UK are no more clear
than ours are, honestly a flat tax would be the best option, clear cut, easy
to follow and understand, not very easy to lie about or take advantage of.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I was told by a business entrepreneur centre that paying taxes is not required IF you can explain it away as 'putting investment into the business'.
Any profits that are paid into the business ( i.e, property improvements, staff training and such) means you have less to pay to the taxman and therefore cannot be counted as taxes.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
It just gets me thinking that there should be some sort of law that says if you want to trade in this country, you have to pay tax for the privilege.

Apparently 1% of 400 million is a mere 4 million pounds.

They've paid just over 1% in tax...

But yeah, people have to put up with bedroom taxes, cuts to welfare and public services, is any wonder the world is broke? haha. Greedy gits! Never EVER buying anything from starbucks.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   

I could are less if Starbucks or any other corporation pays taxes.

My only concern would be for me to pay nothing as well.

TBH, income taxes were only meant to be paid by corporations not individuals. In essence, the money is being double taxed.

edit on 23-6-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
That's very big of them.

Incidently, a colleague of mine's kid works at Starbucks. When he started, his contract stated that - once trained - he had to stay with the company for (iirc) 6 months, or he'd be deducted £300 to cover his training.

So, it's a terrible crime for a 16 year old to deprive Starbucks of money, but AOK to rip off the British tax payer.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere

I could are less if Starbucks or any other corporation pays taxes.

My only concern would be for me to pay nothing as well.

Is not clear enough that greed is getting humanity nowhere? 1% of 400 million is a mere 4 million pounds. Last year alone they made 400 million in profit. There's just no excuse to not be paying your taxes if your making THAT MUCH MONEY.

And, for the record, its "I couldnt care less" Not "I could" because if you could care less then you do care, which is not the statement your trying to make.

TBH, income taxes were only meant to be paid by corporations not individuals. In essence, the money is being double taxed.

In fairness this country is cutting its "bill" for welfare, public services, bringing in new taxes for poor people and yet companies that are making a huge profit are paying a teeny, tiny amount of tax?

Just because you own a business does not give you a right to play the system. You want to trade here? Pay your taxes.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by KingIcarus
That's very big of them.

Incidently, a colleague of mine's kid works at Starbucks. When he started, his contract stated that - once trained - he had to stay with the company for (iirc) 6 months, or he'd be deducted £300 to cover his training.

So, it's a terrible crime for a 16 year old to deprive Starbucks of money, but AOK to rip off the British tax payer.

Feel sorry for that kid. What a company! Expecting people to be grateful they've decided to pay a few million after a couple of years! Its shame that people are so gullible and buy into the brand that is "Starbucks"

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

No need to feel sorry for the kid, he's got a bright future - he's just pouring coffee so he doesn't have to ask his old man for pocket money.

The recession really has allowed the 'you're lucky to have this job' attitude to creep into the UK though. You can bet that executive wages haven't been frozen since 2008 though.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by KingIcarus

No need to feel sorry for the kid, he's got a bright future - he's just pouring coffee so he doesn't have to ask his old man for pocket money.

The recession really has allowed the 'you're lucky to have this job' attitude to creep into the UK though. You can bet that executive wages haven't been frozen since 2008 though.

Well, Wonder what the odds would be on their wages increasing every single years since 08

Ahh it makes me so angry i have to laugh

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

I think Britain needs a leader with some balls. Start jailing people for tax evasion and corporate fraud.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
Im no expert, but whether you're making a profit or not, business should be taxed, no?

A business pays other taxes other than Corporation tax, such as NI contributions, passes on the PAYE Income tax revenue for employees and also things like VAT. It is misleading to say these corps pay "no tax" as that is simply not true.

Just seems silly that our government and their customers are ASKING THEM NICELY to pay their tax instead of forcing them to. If you're not gonna pay tax, you shouldnt be allowed to trade in this country, how simple does it have to be?

It is a convenient scapegoat for them, so they drum up the frenzy and the Corps do this "voluntary" thing for PR purposes, despite having no obligation too under the tax regime the Politicians who are singling them out do nothing to change.

Are the lunatics running the asylum!?

Definitely

I never buy coffee from star bucks and this is reason enough for me to never enter into one of their stores again. What a joke. Thanks for paying your tax, much appreciated, here's a pat on the back and a lolly pop - Keep you sweet so you'll agree to pay it next year.

I am curious as to exactly how much tax Starbucks has paid, from the other revenue sources. I bet it is a significant amount but one that is overlooked for the headline grabbing Corp Tax.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by EA006
I think Britain needs a leader with some balls.

Agreed....

Start jailing people for tax evasion and corporate fraud.

Again, agreed, but many of these businesses are operating within the law, so really our ire should be directed at the Politicians who are responsible for such things who deflect the bad press at the Corps, yet do sod all to plug the loopholes they themselves will benefit from when they retire onto the board of one of these very Corps they have singled out for demonisation....
edit on 24/6/13 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

So far they've paid 5 million and are due to pay another 5 million, in good faith. Last year alone they made 400 million in profit. They might be operating within the law but cmon now, put back into the system, dont be tight.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by supamoto
It just amazes me that our UK gov taxes us citizens silly, cuts public spending ruthlessly, pursues little people for pennies & all the time giant worldwide corporations pay little or nothing into our economy while making hundreds of millions from us.
I wonder whose interests the UK gov. serves?

Well, check it out. An international company has many options to pay tax where it is most favourable to them - it's not illegal although hopefully that will change. If Starbucks is making hundreds of millions from you, you might want to think about where you buy your coffee if you don't agree with how they manage their financial affairs.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

I think Britain needs a leader with some balls.

Agreed....

Start jailing people for tax evasion and corporate fraud.

Again, agreed, but many of these businesses are operating within the law, so really our ire should be directed at the Politicians who are responsible for such things who deflect the bad press at the Corps, yet do sod all to plug the loopholes they themselves will benefit from when they retire onto the board of one of these very Corps they have singled out for demonisation....
edit on 24/6/13 by stumason because: (no reason given)

Hi,

Fair do's to your comment but to say this is a UK issue is a bit wide of the mark isn't it? All major corporations have been paying tax where it is in their best interests to do so - the UK is by no means the only country that hasn't received what would have been assumed to be its fair rate of tax payment........ and then I wonder how many people in the world of sport or entertainment use whatever means they can to avoid paying tax - U2 for example were slated for paying their tax via (if I remember rightly) the Netherlands rather than the Republic of Ireland as it meant they paid less and they got to keep more for themselves, and I would have a good bet they are not the only ones.

Strangely they don't seem to be the subject of so many threads about how they are ripping off taxpayers, I wonder why?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

So far they've paid 5 million and are due to pay another 5 million, in good faith. Last year alone they made 400 million in profit. They might be operating within the law but cmon now, put back into the system, dont be tight.

Have you ever paid or received money 'cash in hand' to avoid VAT for a bit of let's say building or plumbing work? If you haven't then you are probably either lucky to have never needed to or unlucky for not being given the option. Each time anyone of us does this then we are avoiding paying tax, I wonder how much that would add up to.

I'm not saying what Starbucks is doing is morally right, but legally sadly it's something they can more to international (not country specific) tax laws and we all seem so shocked because of the scale of avoidance rather than the actual act.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by uncommitted

Have you ever paid or received money 'cash in hand' to avoid VAT for a bit of let's say building or plumbing work? If you haven't then you are probably either lucky to have never needed to or unlucky for not being given the option. Each time anyone of us does this then we are avoiding paying tax, I wonder how much that would add up to.

I'm not saying what Starbucks is doing is morally right, but legally sadly it's something they can more to international (not country specific) tax laws and we all seem so shocked because of the scale of avoidance rather than the actual act.

I bet cash in hand tax avoidance isn't as much of a problem as multinational companies not paying tax on their earnings.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join