It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EXCLUSIVE: US spies on Chinese mobile phone companies, steals SMS data: Edward Snowden

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

EXCLUSIVE: US spies on Chinese mobile phone companies, steals SMS data: Edward Snowden

www.scmp.com

The US government is stealing millions of text messages in their hacking attacks on major Chinese mobile phone companies, Edward Snowden has told the Post

The US government is hacking Chinese mobile phone companies to steal millions of text messages, Edward Snowden has told the South China Morning Post. And the former National Security Agency contractor claims he has the evidence to prove it.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
This does not surprise me to to know that the NSA is hacking China especially as we all know that China is hacking the US for information.

Makes me wonder why the NSA would want millions of text messages anyways.

I wonder what made Snowden do this especially when he knew that he would eventually get caught and prosecuted.

www.scmp.com

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by theone88

I wonder what made Snowden do this especially when he knew that he would eventually get caught and prosecuted.

Going to China in this case is kind of like leaving abusive parents to stay with your pedophile uncle. There is no state in the world which is free of authoritarian rule. And none that can stop the overreaching arms of the big players.

In this case, Snowden was trying to do the "right" thing. It's really up to us, as people, to say whether or not we agree with mass surveillance.... And whether or not he should be seen as a traitor or a hero.

I see this kind of thing becoming the norm to be honest.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by theone88

This does not surprise me to to know that the NSA is hacking China especially as we all know that China is hacking the US for information.

Makes me wonder why the NSA would want millions of text messages anyways.

www.scmp.com

He may have done all of this to simply clear his conscience. If he is a person of high moral integrity and he was asked to participate in all of this, it may have weighed heavy on his mind until this was the only way in his mind that he could come clean.

Sometimes secrets can weigh on you so heavily, especially ones that go against your morals, that you are willing to accept the consequences of revealing these secrets just to get relief of moving forward with a clear conscience. I am sure he is not going to be the last person to come forward as a whistle blower and expose the devious things that most of us have thought that our government was doing.
edit on 6/22/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Hong Kong is technically an international city, making it semi-autonomous. Granted it will likely succumb to the demands of Mainland China regarding Snowden, it does have some authority of its own.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
reply to post by boncho

Hong Kong is technically an international city, making it semi-autonomous. Granted it will likely succumb to the demands of Mainland China regarding Snowden, it does have some authority of its own.

When the SAR was given back, the people of HK would not stand for a direct rule like that of China, and many left, China saw this and realized how detrimental it could be, eventually making concessions . They didn't give them blanket autonomy though...

new topics

top topics

join