It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Liners (Posting) --- Yay or Nay?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
How do you feel about these one liners we've been plagued with these days?

It didn't always used to be this way, back when I was a new member in 2010 I was quickly slapped on the wrist for producing a minimal post. Of course many got away with it, simply by writing "2nd line"- it shaped my habit of drive-bys and overall improved my own writing abilities by requiring me to share my views in a deeper way.

Here at ATS we take pride in making every post count...

What do you think, ATS?

Do you enjoy the freedom of quickly replying to any thread you desire- no longer hindered by the need to write more than one sentence?

Or do you miss how it used to be, when it was mandated that everyone spend a little extra time forming their opinions- versus drive-by commentary as seen on websites such as Facebook.

---

I'm still guilty of lazy posts, sometimes I really want to get my message across but don't actually have the time to write out an entire paragraph.
But I, as well as many other members I've spoken to, really feel that the old ways promoted a deeper conversation as a whole for the community.

I'd say a bit of both would be near perfect solution:

No outrageously lazy one liners, ex. "Swamp gas, hah."
However minimalist/brief points could be looked upon with less scrutiny depending on how they add to the discussion...
A balance between Quality/Quantity.

edit on 22-6-2013 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Possibly...

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Some people here are very good at being parsimonious and can get away with it. They say a lot with fewer words. Not everybody is that gifted, however, and I often see those ones get nabbed for it.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I hate one line posts...

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I think that if you are the author of the thread, you should defiantly say something with a bit more depth than one sentence can give; however, on the other hand if you are commenting on a post and you can get your point across in one sentence than, personally, I see nothing wrong with it. After all, a synapsis can explain a lot in very few words, and some people are quite skillful at it. Besides, some people might rather have people get right to the point of the matter, without a bunch of useless fluff, that they feel they have to add just to meet a word limit requirement.

Of course, what I think might not hold too much weight here, since I am a member of only a few months.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
From what I understand, as long as what you say is relevant to the conversation, it doesn't matter how long your post is.

It's one line posts that are something along the lines of "i agree with you." that are frowned upon.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Sometimes, one-line is all you need.

2nd.

(Dammit. I should have just said "Yay.", and left it at that.)

^That was my idea,1st.^
I'm calling it.

edit on 22-6-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Some of the best posts I've ever read on this site have been one liners. Sometimes they just nail it in one sentence.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

yes i wish this was enforced as it used to be, i wish more people were held to the higher standard of ATS past.

I suppose its the sheer volume of posts that make such an endevour difficult, its just a shame that i cant avoid the simplistic, near monosylabic, responces...such as the first reply you have garnered....

Seems ATS is doomed to no longer be the disscusion forum it used to be. Now that ATS is more of mainstream "Alternative" news site, i suppose its only fitting that it be supported by the same mainstream mindset, plagued with the same drab and meaningless remarks as i can get from the cut and paste yahoo news stories.

No offence intended to those who do contribute to the site in an intelligent manner.

reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

that was more than 2 years ago, and as you can see from the posts above, the off topic and one liners are the ones that get the stars these days....sign of the times...
edit on 22-6-2013 by RadicalRebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Personally I would much rather read a witty or well crafted short / one line reply than a multi post ramble that goes around and around the point and never really gets there.
Sometimes people are verbose to disguise the fact that they don't actually have a decent logical argument

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by RadicalRebel

Off topic posts are not fair to members who wish to discuss the topic, though.
They will get removed if seen.

The same with one liners....if they are off topic or do not add to the discussion.
And
"2nd line " is the worst thing you can do, BTW....

No one is saying that a person cannot make a GREAT post and have it be only one line...some of us are that good with words.
Most of us need to use more than one line to get our point across....and saying

"I agree ...."
doesn't cut it

edit on Sat Jun 22 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: clarity

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
i must be the one line king here but i do not see the point in rambling on and on and on .

keep it short and simple ?

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
"I agree ...."
doesn't cut it

I agree...
As you've taken part in this discussion you cant mod me out

I am one of those that could fill a whole post to get my point across, while another person can say it in one sentence. I envy those people. Language is such a powerful weapon.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Sometimes people are verbose to disguise the fact that they don't actually have a decent logical argument

I noticed your avatars beady little eyes pause on me when I read that.

Oo

I had no idea that the requirements for adding content to your post and posting on topic had been removed? I didn't see any notice to such effect?

As far as I'm concerned, people with one line "swamp gas hyuk" posts get skipped over. BUT one liners don't necessarily imply off topic glib posts.

And I am positive I've read that if your post adds to the topic, answers a question or does not require a paragraph, then it will not get pinged for being a one liner.

So these "2nd line" additions irk me.. as if the author knows they're doing it and doing it anyway.

What also gets me, is when someone means Definitely and instead use Defiantly. Holy buckets, how does that happen lol

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
If the One Liner or 2 liner posts, does stay on topic and gets the authors point across, then i see no harm in that.

Or at least funny, without being foulmouthed or otherwise Sophomoric, which to me is worse then Foulmouthed.

There are some Threads and Posts that are just repeats of the same old nonsense, I ignore them because i really think those people are just stirring up the NUT Pot. In those cases I would really like to say, "The Simpson's did It." (if you do not or have never watched South Park you won't get the Joke)...

For Example: Freemason's ... "The Simpson's did it!"

See a one liner that gets my point across.

Thank you very much.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Language is such a powerful weapon.

THIS!

It is absolutely a powerful weapon. This is why it saddens me to see so many people use it like a wooden spoon.

I can get utterly lost reading etymology online. That website fascinates me. Words, letters, languages have always fascinated me. It is such a rich history for something we do every single day and take for granted, so many people simply don't know or care about just how it came to be that they use noises emanating from their heads to relay the mysterious electrical activity within their brains.

Words can ruin someone's day, or make it. They can create the mental image of entire worlds, paradises or hells.

And yet today, it's rendered down to the most basic of ideas and there is more effort put into justifying the corruption of the language itself than in expressing the colourful rainbow of thought it is meant to express.

People who speak English as a second language do better than some of the native speaking kids of today.

I don't disparage people who have difficulties with the language. Hell, I struggle with it, but I strive to learn if I feel lacking in my knowledge. If only I could do that with mathematics. ha. Sinister magic..

It's those who do not even care to try. The "2nd line" folk. No interest in putting in the effort, so I guess it saves us a bit of time from having to discern their intent... move along to more interesting things.

It is indeed a powerful weapon, but sadly it is fumbled with like a deflated sex doll in the dark, hoping to get something right, before falling asleep.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I've seen countless "Off-Topic" posts removed, that were actually very much "On-Topic."

But that's another thing.
I feel sometimes there's nothing better than an "Off-Topic" banner right in the middle of a thread, to really get the mind working. It puts a smile on my face when I know said post, might've been some dry-humor gem that I would've given a star. Lol.
__

Now,
Of course I value informative discussion.
But I certainly don't get offended if somebody one-lines one of my threads.

I know when people converse in person,
they don't necessarily exchange essays to have a valuable discussion, either.

It all depends, I guess.
__

Although, some people are just so dull - and they don't even know what trolling is.

Artistic trolls are rare these days; lost in a web of fail-trolls. (sigh)
It's like...

"Eat a bag of glass. why don't ya?" - gee-f***in'-wizzz.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I'm with you on that one Dave. Sometimes a one liner reply gets the point across a lot better than a bunch of beating around the bush. I will say I don't appreciate the one or two liner OPs though. A video or a link accompanied by a "What say you ATS?" just doesn't cut the mustard.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

All I can say is, don't expect it to change

Actually, I could say more, but there's no pressure to

edit on 23-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join