It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silver Makes Antibiotics Thousands of Times More Effective

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
www.scientificamerican.com...

Well now. Haven't people on ATS been extolling the virtues of colloidal silver for a while now?
And guess what folks. Now we have some Science to be back those claims up.

Like werewolves and vampires, bacteria have a weakness: silver. The precious metal has been used to fight infection for thousands of years — Hippocrates first described its antimicrobial properties in 400 bc — but how it works has been a mystery. Now, a team led by James Collins, a biomedical engineer at Boston University in Massachusetts, has described how silver can disrupt bacteria, and shown that the ancient treatment could help to deal with the thoroughly modern scourge of antibiotic resistance. The work is published today in Science Translational Medicine.

“Resistance is growing, while the number of new antibiotics in development is dropping,” says Collins. “We wanted to find a way to make what we have work better.”

Collins and his team found that silver — in the form of dissolved ions — attacks bacterial cells in two main ways: it makes the cell membrane more permeable, and it interferes with the cell’s metabolism, leading to the overproduction of reactive, and often toxic, oxygen compounds. Both mechanisms could potentially be harnessed to make today’s antibiotics more effective against resistant bacteria, Collins says.

But I have a question. Anyone have their skin turn gray from taking too much silver?

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
No that never happens to me.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Well that sucks for the Vampires out there that get sick... the rest of us YAY

2ND

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

reply to post by grey580

I've been using it for about 10 years regularly and no problems yet .

The danger of skin tinting is associated with incorrect preparation .

If you make your own learn to make it properly .

ps there is a danger from using CS with certain antibiotics both from amplified and nullified effects ..
so be aware .

edit on 22-6-2013 by R0CR13 because: ps

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Silver Sulfadiazine (SSD) is an excellent dressing for burns. I have used it on other cutaneous wounds with marvelous results. Probably one of the best (efficacious) medicated ointments ever formulated, and one I consider a "must-have" for around the house. Just my opinion, YMMV.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

Well now. Haven't people on ATS been extolling the virtues of colloidal silver for a while now?

But I have a question. Anyone have their skin turn gray from taking too much silver?
Why does silver kill microbial cells?

Because it's bad for them.

If it's bad for the microbial cells, are we sure it's not bad for our own cells? The article mentions caution and answers your question about gray skin which is permanent:

In the 1990s, for example, a heart valve made by St. Jude Medical, based in St. Paul, Minnesota, included parts covered with a silver coating called Silzone to fight infection. “It did a fine job of preventing infection,” says Fowler. “The problem was that the silver was also toxic to heart tissue.” As a result the valves often leaked.

Before adding silver to antibiotics, “we’ll have to address the toxicity very carefully”, says Fowler. Ingesting too much silver can also cause argyria, a condition in which the skin turns a blue-grey color — and the effect is permanent.
I also seem to recall people screaming bloody murder over cloud seeding with silver iodide, again with the toxicity being a question when it gets into ground water.

I have turned my skin slightly reddish when I took some beta carotene supplements but fortunately that wasn't permanent. I'm not convinced how safe silver is until I get better answers than what I see in that article about toxicity.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Anyone have their skin turn gray from taking too much silver?

NO! that silly man use'd salty water to make it work faster.
you must use the cleanest water you can get.
use a 1 micron filter. or use distilled water.
Not the De'ionized water.

All you need is two silver wire and a 9 volt battery.
best to use 3 * 9 volt battery and hot water.
and you Must swop the polaritys of the wires each time you use it.
as they slowly dissolve.
Silver is non toxic........
dont use Gold. it is toxic.

edit on 22-6-2013 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   

there already was science to back up those claims...

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
After having double discectomy in 2007, the surgeon gave me a tube of Silvasorb for treating infection along the abdominal incision site. I still use it, albeit sparingly, in the place of triple antibiotic creams for wound care. Good stuff, just need to get some more. It can be found on the internet, but haven't seen it in brick and mortar pharmacies or stores yet. (Doesn't mean it's not there, just haven't seen it in any. Ok, I'm lazy get off my case!)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
This is fairly old news. The interesting thing with silver is the smaller they make it the more effective it becomes

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Saw this years ago.

edit on 23-6-2013 by Divine Strake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha

NO! that silly man use'd salty water to make it work faster.
you must use the cleanest water you can get.
use a 1 micron filter. or use distilled water.
Not the De'ionized water.

All you need is two silver wire and a 9 volt battery.
best to use 3 * 9 volt battery and hot water.
and you Must swop the polaritys of the wires each time you use it.
as they slowly dissolve.
Silver is non toxic........

What you just posted is about as false as it is dangerous.

Please, in the future, refrain from encouraging our members to poison themselves.

Silver, like all metals, IS a health hazard when absorbed in sufficient quantity.

He sure looks really healthy, right ?

edit on 23-6-2013 by Ismail because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Like werewolves and vampires, bacteria have a weakness: silver. The precious metal has been used to fight infection for thousands of years — Hippocrates first described its antimicrobial properties in 400 bc — but how it works has been a mystery. Now, a team led by James Collins, a biomedical engineer at Boston University in Massachusetts, has described how silver can disrupt bacteria, and shown that the ancient treatment could help to deal with the thoroughly modern scourge of antibiotic resistance. The work is published today in Science Translational Medicine.

“Resistance is growing, while the number of new antibiotics in development is dropping,” says Collins. “We wanted to find a way to make what we have work better.”

Collins and his team found that silver — in the form of dissolved ions — attacks bacterial cells in two main ways: it makes the cell membrane more permeable, and it interferes with the cell’s metabolism, leading to the overproduction of reactive, and often toxic, oxygen compounds. Both mechanisms could potentially be harnessed to make today’s antibiotics more effective against resistant bacteria, Collins says.

the Answer to your Question! is!!! which is a Fact is you Turn the Color Blue !!! Not Gray LOL!!

Argyria
en.wikipedia.org...

Real-life ‘Blue Guy’ shrugs off his skin color (video)
Man ingested silver compound as home remedy, but had strange side effect
www.today.com...

Why can colloidal silver turn your skin blue?

by Jonathan Strickland

health.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FatherStacks
Silver Sulfadiazine (SSD) is an excellent dressing for burns. I have used it on other cutaneous wounds with marvelous results. Probably one of the best (efficacious) medicated ointments ever formulated, and one I consider a "must-have" for around the house. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Not to sidetrack the thread

I had 25% 3rd degree burns and yes "sulfadine" kept me from getting a deadly infection but the pain nearly killed me several times ... then I learned

That Ozone will sterilize the wound area kill the pain of raw nerve endings and promote more rapid healing .

read this clinical review

www.xn--revistaespaoladeozonoterapia-7xc.es...

And it is still not recognized in the USA ..

ps ..i'm still not blue .

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Divine Strake
Saw this years ago.

edit on 23-6-2013 by Divine Strake because: (no reason given)

All the interviews they did of this guy always said it was so dangerous taboo bla bla bla. They failed to tell the audience that this guy used sterling silver which is not pure silver. You must use .999 pure silver. He also didn't use distilled pure water (duh right). You only need like 10ppm silver. Silver is so effective that a study has shown just 1ppm still destroyed a culture of bacteria by like 98% after a second application it wiped it out completely simply by spraying it once. The smaller the particles the better it works as it is absorb more in the tissues to fight cancers etc. You can make 10ppm into 20ppm or 5 ppm into 10ppm just by taking the water and putting it into a blender. What we do know is that it doesn't attack good living cells and it only destroys pathogens. There is like a little magic going on there. Back in the day farmers put silver coins in there milk jugs as it preserves the milk from going sour so fast. Silver really does deserve a full fledged scientific study, but the FDA won't touch it with a ten foot pole. Why is that? Well because it works and that throws a monkey wrench in their money making machine.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sean

They also said he rubbed it on his face, which is apparently a no no. I agree, though, the less wrenches, the more moolah.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
oh lord no, not more "silver is good for you" as much as I agree it is great for most people I get so nervous the more "useful" it becomes because then you will see more companies and people adding it to products without a thought for the (yes i know uncommon) people who are allergic or sensitive to silver - like myself.
it gets scary when you have to double check with someone that the bandaid they so kindly handed you is silver infused or not, not to mention the weird looks and insistent claims that it must be nickel im allergic to when I tell people why I avoid silver products like the plague.
I just really hope they don't start putting silver into anything else as a result of this

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Silver is quite bad for the water supply. Apparently garment manufacturers now implant it into sports clothing to stop body odours (proving it is good at killing bacteria), but when people wash their clothes it gets into the waste water system and can be very bad for the environment:

scilifestyle.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha

Gold is non reactive how would it be poison in human body, if not even acid can break it down, especially stomach acid.
Also they put it on cake for decoration, gold leaf, comes out say way went in.
edit on 23-6-2013 by OOOOOO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sean

Does this blue guy ever get sick.
Would this help against the bird or pig flu.

They are saying the amino acid NAC will help with these bad bugs,

top topics

<<   2 >>

join