It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange rock. What have I found?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I found this about 20 years ago in a gravel pit located about 40 miles from Traverse city Michigan.
Who can tell me what this is?

It is stone , and very heavy for its size.
edit on 22-6-2013 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I believe its called spirit of the stove, part of Sauna tradition and area you told you found it had a lot finns who immigrated there. In sauna you put this stone on the stove you can fill it with aroma like pine tree scent, menthol, tar etc or just throw water on it and when stove gets hot this cup gives a whistling sound and gives the scent to the sauna.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Since you say you found it in a gravel pit, my first guess would be a normal stone that got stuck in some kind of machinery. Got grinded down to look like that.

reply to post by dollukka

That explanation is allot more fun than mine

edit on 22-6-2013 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

Lol maybe they manufactured these in that gravel pit, its very popular in Saunas
i have one too .

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

That could be it .
There seems to be a darker area on the inside, a stain of sorts.
edit on 22-6-2013 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

The stone itself do remind me of the stones laying on the heater when I been to a sauna. I totally buy your explanation.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

Stove stones are always heavy and spirit of the stove cup is always very heavy to its size.. not all stones are suitable on the stove and its heat

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Wow I haven't seen one of those in a while. When I was about 11 my grandfather and I were walking along the shore when the tide was way out. He spotted this rock and picked it up and very excitedly told me it was a "Indian love making stone." I asked what that was and he gave some short answer I can't really recall and then said "yep an Indian love making stone....some people just call it a f###ing rock." It was the 1st and probably the only time I heard him curse. I still laugh about it today.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by burnett662

I hope you will remember the answer and share it with us.. funny thing your reply made me think of three seashells from demolition man...

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by burnett662

You should post your grandfather's theory in the Mars anomoly threads too, it seems to be they have found a lot of Indian love making stones too.

It's a brilliant anekdote it made me laugh too

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

I honestly don't know what it is, but I once found a rock in a sack of potatoes that looked exactly like a potato. So, some things can look like other things, meaning that I think what you have there is a weird shaped nut shell. I know I'm wrong, but that's what it reminded me of.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

I do not know what it is called. I have seen them before. They have a pebble inside and it is coated on the outside with another rock. The out casing is made of stone but softer than the pebble. It must be caused by a build up around the pebble... nice find..

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Hmm, i read you said it was stone, but it looks like a knee cap.
I highly doubt thats what it is though. cool find none the less

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I think this stone had another stone lodged in it then it was forced out at some point in the quarrying. I have a stone that I found at a quarry which isa piece of quartz or calcite enveloped in some black volcanic rock, and the quarts protrudes a bit from the blackness.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Thanks for the replys , and I am thinking that this is a spirit of the stove because of the odd build up on the inside.
What I am wondering now is if this was naturally formed or was somehow carved this way.
The color on the above images are off somewhat so I adjusted the color on this one to the actual tones.

new topics

top topics

join