It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Western Black Rhino Declared Extinct

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Richard Dawkins Foundation

Africa's western black rhino is now officially extinct according the latest review of animals and plants by the world's largest conservation network.

The subspecies of the black rhino -- which is classified as "critically endangered" by the International Union for Conservation of Nature's (IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species -- was last seen in western Africa in 2006.

The IUCN warns that other rhinos could follow saying Africa's northern white rhino is "teetering on the brink of extinction" while Asia's Javan rhino is "making its last stand" due to continued poaching and lack of conservation.

It's been expected for a while that this animal would be declared extinct, as the brief article points out, one hasn't been seen since 2006... still it's always sad when an extinction is confirmed, no matter what it is, as it will have impact on other creatures and ecosystems.

There's something very majestic about rhino's even if they aren't the most attractive animal on the planet. In my opinion at least they are a visual reminder that earth was once very different, with different looking beasts roaming around.

It may seem like backwards logic but I can't help wondering if hunting them hadn't been outlawed, would the poachers have instead been businessmen, conservationists raising rhino's for profit... not that I want to see any animal butchered, but poached into nonexistence certainly isn't any better. Outlawing things seems to only create black markets and crime rings of all sorts. People want what they want and if they have the money, they'll figure out how to get it one way or another, exploiting other people in the process.

Maybe somewhere some biotech lab has their DNA.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

we have black rhino at chester zoo in the breeding program/conservation

so maybe extinct in the wild but there are some still alive

by the way i just checked the zoos website

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by maryhinge

There's several rhino breeding programs but none that fostered Western Black Rhino's. I should have been more clear that this was a subspecies of Black Rhino's. Officially there is no living member of the subspecies.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Yay, people!
Aren't we great?!

I would like to thank all the impotent scum out there trying to make their_____ hard. All the over paid douchers who want fancy pens and cuff links, and any other trade that supported the poachers in their endeavors. It couldn't have been done without you.

edit on 22-6-2013 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

What a bunch of morons. The human race really has failed. Wiping out an entire species just to get rich, get laid, or look flash. Its not the first time and certainly wont be the last.

This springs to mind

edit on 22-6-2013 by Firefly_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
The Human race really sucks sometimes.
Which is sad really.

Some of my best friends are humans....

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by maryhinge

There's several rhino breeding programs but none that fostered Western Black Rhino's. I should have been more clear that this was a subspecies of Black Rhino's. Officially there is no living member of the subspecies.

GUTTED
very sad
and speechless

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Time to work on those cloners

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Very Sad.

Its happening to many Animals.

Hyenas are being threatened with extinction because people across Saudi Arabia have developed a taste for the wild animal's meat. In 2008, the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) listed the striped hyena as "near threatened" as its population was estimated to be below 10,000.

Hyena Burger? Saudi Taste for Wild Meat Threatens Species Extinction

I am ashamed of our species.....

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
It is times like this I would love to see poachers shot and killed. No Jail, no second chances. Get caught poaching an endangered species and go straight to dead. Better yet, tie em to a post slather them in a female rhino piss and tie them to a post in a male rhinos enclosure....... Whatever is left if left alive, kill it then.

It is a choice to be a poacher, albeit I kinda understand the mentality as some of the poachers are incredibly poor. It still has to be stopped and the only way to stop Poachers is to make it terminal to get caught.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

they must have some form of DNA of the western black rhino
and with the egg of a black rhino could they not bring this back from the dead??

or give cloning a chance in cases like these

i think im just clutching at straws now but i can dream cant i?
edit on 22/6/2013 by maryhinge because: missed a T

also forgot your flag and star
edit on 22/6/2013 by maryhinge because: flag and star

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
this moment in history is brought to you by anthropocentric, mass extinction.

up next, we'll not take a look at the post-anthropocene era for this planet, as these crazy hairless apes will be on a permanent vacation to their earliest roots.

now back to you, stardust.
edit on 22-6-2013 by wehavenoclue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
We feel sad when animals majestic like the rhino go extinct.

Yet we applaud the mass death of animals that we consider pests.

We're an odd species.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This is just beginning. With 7 billion people growing soon to 9 billion many species are going to be wiped out.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Last seen in 2006 ?.Odd when the definition of extinct, means a species has not been sighted in fifty years. Yes we are doing damage and it is digraceful but so are false reports like these. Let me guess they want your Money ? Offically extinct? I don't Think so. 2049 prehaps

edit on 22-6-2013 by 13th Zodiac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Our species is such an environmental abnormality. I'm beginning to think "human-like" intelligence ended up in the wrong species.
edit on 6/22/2013 by Nacirema because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

This is unfortunately not the first time that the human race has done such a thing.
I was watching a program about Homo Sapiens & the way he spread around the world. "Interestingly", wherever he would arrive, the big animals would die "shortly" after (shortly as in evolution shortly).
Example: Australia.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Time to declare open season on Homo sapiens, the most destructive species on the planet.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I agree, it is those that need those those fancy rare bobbles that hold the most responsibility here. You would think if they like these things so much they would try to preserve it, but nah... some sicko mentality takes over that makes someone want the last bit of something. I wouldn't go so far as to blame our entire species though, we can't just look at the scum among us who drive an extinction or something equivalent, there are plenty who try to stop this senselessness.

reply to post by Firefly_

Nope it won't be the last, sadly.

reply to post by SLAYER69

We do, but refer to my above reply. That matters too.

reply to post by Cambot

It would be nice to see biotech gain some positive PR for a change.

reply to post by sonnny1

Well I'm not a meat eater anyway so enjoying meat is already a mental leap I can't make, but hyenas? They're scavengers and wouldn't their meat be tough and stringy? Gross! I don't think all people should feel ashamed because of what other people do. If shame is a reaction you have, it might be time to figure out a way to be proactive. You're a very busy guy and a damn hard worker, how you spend your money could make a difference though.

reply to post by Mamatus

I wouldn't go so far as absolve poachers for sure, but I try to remember that desperate people do desperate things. I'm lucky to not have ever been so desperate to feed my child that I did something drastic, I have no doubt though that if I had to, I would. I'm not proud of that just that I know my love for him would win out over anything. I feel like I'm capable of making other choices, but I can't know that for sure.

reply to post by beezzer

Everything is connected, pests are just as needed as anything else. I hope everyone figures that out someday and the pesticide peddlers go belly up. I know it's not nice, sometimes I don't care

reply to post by CB328

This planet in it's current state and we as the dominant species are capable of feeding 12 billion people, that's all about to change very soon though I fear, we seem to like flooring it to the edge of a cliff.

reply to post by 13th Zodiac

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac
reply to post by Kali74

Last seen in 2006 ?.Odd when the definition of extinct, means a species has not been sighted in fifty years. Yes we are doing damage and it is digraceful but so are false reports like these. Let me guess they want your Money ? Offically extinct? I don't Think so. 2049 prehaps

edit on 22-6-2013 by 13th Zodiac because: (no reason given)

Want your money for what, cloning? It is indeed a foundation but I saw no solicitations anywhere. There's no time requirement to declare a species extinct. The determination of extinct is: When the last of a species dies. It may have once been 50 years (though I didn't find anything searching) but with todays surveillance... I don't think we need 50 years to rule out survivors.

edit on 23-6-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
*inhales cigaret* well......*exhales and puts on cowboy hat* I say we team up and form an organization of 'poachers'....and our targets you ask?......well those son's of bitches poachers that killed those animals, let's see how they like it.

PS: I don't smoke it was just imagery to make it look cool
edit on 23-6-2013 by StrawHatBrian because: additional info

edit on 23-6-2013 by StrawHatBrian because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join