It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romanian PSL, Poor Man's SVD Dragunov or Overgrown AK-47?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Here is a review of the Romanian PSL-54C where we explore whether the Romanian Designated Marksman's Rifle is a poor man's Dragunov or just an overgrown AK-47.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LibertysTeeth

Did I understand that he was able to keep all shots on a 12" inch target at 100 yards? With a scope?
Further, that he couldn't do that reliably with open sights at 200?

AK upgrade, 1000 USD, Non NATO round, out of stock. Oh and mag feed problems...

(insert loud buzzer sound)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

No, the shots were within ~3" at 150 yds. The target is 12" wide. It was just for perspective.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I've ever understood the animosity towards the PSL. Sure, it's no Dragunov, but it doesn't cost 1/8th of a real dragunov. It shoots accurately well past most shooters ability. I have never heard anything bad about them from the actual owners. I am still kicking myself for passing one up for $400 at a gun show years ago.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd
I've ever understood the animosity towards the PSL. Sure, it's no Dragunov, but it doesn't cost 1/8th of a real dragunov. It shoots accurately well past most shooters ability. I have never heard anything bad about them from the actual owners. I am still kicking myself for passing one up for $400 at a gun show years ago.

Wow, $400? Was it in decent shape? My foot would be stuck in my arse if I had passed that up!

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I owned one in the past and it is a alright rifle. Dragunov rifles are not stamped the PSL is. My AR is far more accurate then a PSL.

When you buy a PSL it will come with a scope I suggest upgrading it to a better model. I also upgraded all the furniture.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Sorry, I couldn't tell, it was a used target. Next time use a paper plate or bag or something. Go for group, that way I can see with my own eyes.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

Sorry, I couldn't tell, it was a used target. Next time use a paper plate or bag or something. Go for group, that way I can see with my own eyes.

No problem. I forgot the can of spray paint.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by LibertysTeeth
Here is a review of the Romanian PSL-54C where we explore whether the Romanian Designated Marksman's Rifle is a poor man's Dragunov or just an overgrown AK-47.

I have a PSL. I can say without question it is in fact BOTH a poor man's Dragunov AND an overgrown AK-47.

Remember, the PSL and the Dragunov (and whatever that knockoff is they use in China) are NOT sniper rifles, which is where a lot of the confusion is coming from. These are Designated Marksman Rifles, which is a fancy word for "rifle that can hit man sized targets out past the crappy range of the AK-47". Warsaw pact nations need such weapons specifically because they are almost always armed with crappy ranged AK-47s, and they were never designed to be able to shoot the gun out of a bad guy's hand with .5 MOA accuracy like FBI snipers do. They were meant to kill man sized targets the riflemen's weapons couldn't reach (I.E. machine gun nests or close support mortar crews), and killing man sized targets can be done with a rifle that has the 3-4 MOA accuracy PSL rifles have. If you expect national match quality from something that has no purpose than as a mankiller then of course you're going to be disappointed, particularly with the PSLs mediocre 4x scope. It is easy to overlook that the Dragunov is ALSO a DMR, which means that despite all the hype and price tag, its accuracy isn't that much better.

That said, the PSL is very very good at what it's designed to do. It's built like a tank and the 7.62x54R round has been a thoroughbred manstopper for well over 100 years. Now that the former Soviet Union is broke and selling off everything not nailed down, huge amounts of the stuff has been showing up here. Also, the PSL isn't a toy- do a web search and you'll see a wide range of people from Iraqi soldiers to Palestinian insurgents using it in combat, which is a hell of a lot more badass than the typical AR-15 being used to punch holes in paper targets. Plus, it looks cool- every time I bring it to the range, from the looks I get from the other shooters you'd think I brought some Terminator weapon.
edit on 24-6-2013 by GoodOlDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SubTruth

I owned one in the past and it is a alright rifle. Dragunov rifles are not stamped the PSL is. My AR is far more accurate then a PSL.

When you buy a PSL it will come with a scope I suggest upgrading it to a better model. I also upgraded all the furniture.

Yep, I upgraded my Romanian 4x scope with an 8x Russian illuminated scope. BIG improvement in accuracy right off the bat...but the scope is so huge that I can't use the iron sights anymore.

edit on 24-6-2013 by GoodOlDave because: (no reason given)

top topics

join