It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are they getting ready for the Draft...?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I don't know this website. But the story seems to check out.

11/4/2004

The Selective Service filed a notice in the federal register three days before the election to check the computer records of the Department of Education for compliance with a law that requires all students receiving federal financial aid to register for the draft...

While not an unexpected request, in a time when Americans have been so worried about a draft that Congress had to pass legislation asserting a draft would not be reinstated, the request can only fuel increased speculation about a military draft plan for the war in Iraq. The New York Times reported last month that the military was exploring a medical draft in the event of a national security emergency. Source

This request was made just around election time and it seems to have been missed by the media (even by ATS
).

So what do you think?

Quiet preparation for a draft or regular administrative proceedure?

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
bump (written in the wee hours)

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
That was just a story the Democrats made up to frighten children.

The problem with this urban legend is that recruitment is going well, and that no one wants to replace volunteers with conscripts.

Now that the election is over, you can stop worrying about it. It was pure deceit.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
If they aren't planning to implent the draft then the Bush admin is entirely incompetent. Soldiers are being forced to go on third tours now, trust me I have friends in the Marines, and the soldiers are talking about shooting themselves to get out of the war, such as in the leg or foot. They need the draft to continue this war.
The war on terrorism will spread to other countries in a few years and thats when they will call-up the draft.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I would be very surprised if the draft is NOT re-instituted soon. As other posters have noted, the US military is severely stretched and some units have had two or even three tours in Iraq. Obviously this situation cannot continue. Conscription is inevitable.

As far as conscription goes, this is probably a good idea. Though, for once, I'd have to go along with the custom of many European countries and have mandatory military service for all men (and lets' include women, just to be fair) for a year or two. By having a mandatory service -- be it in military or in social service == arguments about the "unfair" aspects of conscription can be eliminated. The US would have a sizeable pool from which to draw military requirements from and there would be plenty of manpower (womanpower) for use in more civic minded pursuits; cleaning cities, painting or repairing homes of the underpriveledged, civil construction, etc.

Sure it would inconvenience the hell out of a lot of people but the ultimate good a bit of military training and discipline in our society would not be all that bad. Even mandatory service is good enough for the Swiss -- and they don't go to war EVER -- it is probably good enough for the United States.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Since Bush is pulling 100,000 troops from Europe there is no reason for a draft anytime soon

[edit on 8-11-2004 by Vladtepes]

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
There is one hell of a big difference between conscription in peace time where recruits learn a bit of discipline and some trade skills, and bundling raw unwilling victims off as cannon fodder.

Let's face it, a volunteer that has a few years military experience under his belt before seeing action is probably going to be pretty keen to prove himself and do a good job. Motivation, skill, and training is what makes a good soldier, also the bond of brotherhood with other professional soldiers.

Young people grabbed off the street at random and dragged kicking and screaming half way across the world are only going to be concerned about their own safety, and some are just not going to be up to it either physically or mentally. What sort of an army will that make ?

Yes, it did work in the Vietnam war, but then the cold war did seem so very real. These days this phony war on terror is seen by everyone for the BS it truly is.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Will college students be protected if there is a draft?

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Didn't Bush say during the campaign that under no circumstances there was going to be a draft? They were pretty adamant about it if I remember correctly.

[edit on 14-11-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I think they ought to reinstitue the draft and the idea of mandatory national service and this time around, no one gets a pass--marrieds, students, wealthies--no one.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Grady , I have read you are a veteran , did you enlist , or were you drafted way back when , and if you were drafted back in the mid 60's ( as was my dad ) how have your views changed since then ? ( if they have)

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by oddtodd
Grady , I have read you are a veteran , did you enlist , or were you drafted way back when , and if you were drafted back in the mid 60's ( as was my dad ) how have your views changed since then ? ( if they have)

I enlisted at age seventeen, volunteered for service in Vietnam, was in Vietnam before my nineteenth birthday and was back in the States in a hospital some six months later. I served a total of four years active duty.

My views have gone through some drastic changes over time, but I have never regretted having served my country in a time of war.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Well they are certainly providing training to people who signed up to work on the Draft Board.

About a year ago, the reality-based blogs started noticing how the Selective Service System was looking for volunteers to fill up county draft boards, nationwide. I signed up, and was accepted to the Hennepin County Draft Board. And just got a call Sunday, telling me to set aside January 8 for a day's training

Link

I wonder if working for the Selective Service System prevents you from being drafted?

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
That is very commendable , and thank you for defending our liberties by offering to do so . Regardless of any political right or wrong precieved by the civilian population regarding the current war , I believe that the current voulntary armed services are " contractually " obligated to serve the commader and chief without question . ( I am being non-partisan here , and keeping my personal views to myself here...)

For along time it seemed that all that was done was 'training" , and allowed many people an income , guaranteed student loans , and veteran benefiets whithout any combat service . That is fine , they voulonteered to be readily available , and they were . Thanks to all of them...

As a follow up question if you don't mind : HOW have your views changed , and in the "land of the free" how do you think mandatory armed service is NOT against the premise the Constitution sets forth . Are there not enough enlisted men and women already ? Obligation to the government is the basis of my question...

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by oddtodd
HOW have your views changed , and in the "land of the free" how do you think mandatory armed service is NOT against the premise the Constitution sets forth . Are there not enough enlisted men and women already ? Obligation to the government is the basis of my question...

I'm not going to cover the subject of how my views have changed over time because it is just too large a subject. Let it suffice to say that life is a process and barring some debilitating organic or functional mental illness, you learn to separate the wheat from the chaff. Experience doesn't make you dumber, contrary to the illusions of the young.

I said mandatory national service, not necessarily armed service, although armed service should be expected of the those physically fit enough and who don't have legitimate and conscientious objections.

Liberty has a price and everyone needs to learn that lesson, if we are going to survive as a nation. Frankly, I think we're doomed, but most of us deserve it. It doesn't bother me a bit. I know how I will die, if worse comes to worst.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Well it's been a couple of months and thanks to the Selective Service's "initiative" the draft list must be up to date by now.

The Project for a New American Century (the people who brought you the neocon agenda and whose founding members… well you know) are calling for an increase in US ground forces.

Here it comes... PNAC wants more cannon fodder

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Regarding the draft, I think Americans will only accept it if it is veiled in nationalism as in "everyone must do their part." Those who do not want to shoot guns can be used in non-combat support roles, driving trucks, etc. You may get kidnapped, executed or blown up by mortars but you can still be a peacenik and not carry a weapon. There will certainly be a National Service/Peace Corp option where you just build barracks or something. Presumably it would be run by the UN or could become the seed of a new UN entirely. It'll be a national draft of all Americans.

Personally, I see the issue of "American Citizenship" being decided here in the near future. Those who rule (Pentagon) are fully committed to their goals and they are turning their new espionage tools inward, focusing on Americans and THEIR loyalty. If there is another trauma-event on American soil (and simple statistical analysis says there will be), they will surely use it to further divide Americans into the "with us" and "against us" piles. That would be the best time to redefine 'citizen' in a new and progressive way. The 'with us' pile gets some favor while the 'against us' pile gets made to look less and less American. 'Citizenship Requires Responsibility' would be the banner. Another absolute lie which feeds the Warmongers and their banker-buddies.

If Americans are traumatized al-la 9/11 again, they will agree to National Service. I don't see how anyone could say otherwise.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I think all this talk of a draft is just fearmongering started by the left. The military doesn't want a draft. Our military has become so high tech that it really needs dedicated professional soldiers who train a long time to be really useful. I think it's far more likely that the military will just raise pay and incentives to get more people to willingly join rather than to institute any type of a draft.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I would rather them come up with a draft than forcibly keep those that already have served their time defending our nation in the military. You want to be a part of America, then serve proudly when/if you are ever neeed. Those you choose to server longer then you have to, I thank you!

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps
Personally, I see the issue of "American Citizenship" being decided here in the near future. Those who rule (Pentagon) are fully committed to their goals and they are turning their new espionage tools inward, focusing on Americans and THEIR loyalty. If there is another trauma-event on American soil (and simple statistical analysis says there will be), they will surely use it to further divide Americans into the "with us" and "against us" piles.

Interesting analysis and that sounds absolutley scary to me.

Some Americans are more "American" than others? What ever happened to "all men are created equal" and "inalienable rights"? I guess the US constitution really is dead.

I wonder how all those Bu#s will react to the draft?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join