It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Support for Syrian rebels has gone on for many months.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
The report had just come out about the US supposedly deciding to finally give military support. Turns out it's been going on for a good period of time now. Training and weapons.

U.S. special operations teams selected the trainees over the last year when the U.S. military set up regional supply lines to provide the rebels with nonlethal assistance, including uniforms, radios and medical aid.

The two-week courses include training with Russian-designed 14.5-millimeter anti-tank rifles, anti-tank missiles, as well as 23-millimeter anti-aircraft weapons, according to a rebel commander in the Syrian province of Dara who helps oversee weapons acquisitions and who asked his name not be used because the program is secret.

Gee...Sounds pretty long term to me. Covert support of Rebels in full arms and training support for how long now? I'm getting a rather CONTRA-dictory feeling here about recent events. Anyone else?

The rebels were promised enough armor-piercing anti-tank weapons and other arms to gain a military advantage over Assad’s better-equipped army and security forces, said the Dara commander.

But arms shipments from Qatar, Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries, provided with assent from the Americans, took months to arrive and included less than the rebels had expected.

Pardon me....

Okay, I feel a bit better. It's getting pretty deep out there and I'm getting reminded here of Afghanistan. Helping the "Good" rebels against the Soviet backed Government while trying to cut out the bad rebels from befitting.

All we are missing is.... OH yes, they mention that too........

U.S. officials said the Obama administration and its allies may supply anti-tank weapons to help the rebels destroy armored vehicles used by Assad forces. They are less likely to provide portable anti-aircraft missiles, which the rebels say they need to eliminate Assad’s warplanes. U.S. officials fear those missiles would fall into the hands of the Al Nusra front, the largest of the Islamist militias in the rebel coalition, which the U.S. regards as an Al Qaeda ally.
Source

It's a very long story and also very enlightening. I'd encourage everyone to read the whole thing.

Largest of the rebel coalition this time eh? Oh this can't end well. Usama's little psycho brigade was a relatively small faction of the Afghan Mujaheddin in the 1980's and look what they managed to do anyway. Keep that nation in war for another 20+ years and wreak havoc everywhere. That was just from that conflict. Syria is a very serious regional power, IMO. This wasn't welcome news to read the Military support included actual hands on training of rebels in fixed regional bases.

So what happens if Assad gets a little pissed and decides self defense includes the source of producing better and more lethal rebels? Heck, it might even fly for justification under international law. Shall we just rename the place it happened Camp Tonkin? Perhaps that fits the agenda?.

I think they've lost their minds. (expression of pure wonder at the surreal situation here for historic perspective)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
that's why assad army is so strong..

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Public service announcement -

This war has been brought to you by the Peace Prize President.

To whom the words negotiation and compromise mean nothing.

Yet, so few see a problem.....

Insert facepalm pic here.
edit on 22-6-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I believe that most people think the US govt started the whole currently ongoing coup to begin with. News like this just shows that the US involvement goes back a little further than the MSM has let on. I think a few years down the road knowledge will emerge that the involvement goes back much, much farther and was probably instigated by the US to start with.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
maybe we need to analyze what a Syrian Rebel is an how they got organized, im sure American citizens turned rebels would not all of a sudden acquire tanks and anti air missiles from Canada or Mexico. I don't think uncle Jim bob or cuzzin Billy Jo can go from Farmers one day and bad ass military stopping rebels the next.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Gee thanks Mr obama sin laden...al CIA duh! thanks you for your support...
and thanks for the poison gass it works great on children
but could we have some toaster ovens?
Human organs should be cooked BEFORE they are eaten...

new topics

top topics

join