It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US's Worst Celebrity Role-models according to a poll.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Not sure how this poll was run, but apparently the worst teen female role-model was ... well have a look:
www.huffingtonpost.com...

I'm not familiar with all the US "celebrities" mentioned here.
Questionable talent seems to have been a common reason for both the male and female top ten.

For females however an added reason for disapproval was being "over-sexualized" (I guess that means acting like a slut).

For the males it seems to be "arrogance" and some lack of fidelity.

Interestingly, the people connected to the Kardashian shows are well represented in the male and female top ten, including Kim, Khloe, Kanye West and surprisingly, Bruce Jenner!

I don't know about this.
Are these polls for real?
Is it supermarket rebellion?
In my day bad role models were Dee Snider, Ozzy Osbourne and Bart Simpson.

Perhaps these are unlikeable and annoying celebrities ... but are they really bad role models?

What has become of really bad-ass celebrities?

Please fell free to give your own list, or perhaps a list from better times.

I feel that when super-dad, Bruce Jenner makes the list, then it seems more like jealousy and spite.
edit on 21-6-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I'm not a fan but I don't know why people dislike Justin Bieber so much, he acts and looks quite "normal" for his age. He's not a perfect role model but he's better than the rest of the list.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by theMediator
I'm not a fan but I don't know why people dislike Justin Bieber so much, he acts and looks quite "normal" for his age. He's not a perfect role model but he's better than the rest of the list.

You must be trollin'.

He.. ...

Just no.

NO.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Most celebrities are horrible role models. Kids and teens should not be looking to the TV to find people to emulate or idolize.

edit on 21-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Fair enough, but then where should they look for role models?

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

I don't understand why Paris Hilton didn't make the female list and Steve O didn't make the male list. I certainly wouldn't want any child of mine to have someone who claimed they thought "an illegal powdery substance" was gum or who hung low over an alligator pit with raw chicken hanging out of their "tightie whities" as a role model!

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

At least those guys from "Jackass" asked their viewers not to try their stunts at home. That puts them ahead in my book by miles compared to Paris and her ilk.

edit on 21-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
This link has the top 10 bad role models for both male and females.

Interestingly the male list takes a turn to some old-timers and compromised sporting stars, like Lance Armstrong, Mel Gibson, Tiger Woods or Charlie Sheen.

The female list has less of a variety of age groups and claims to fame.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

But why Bruce Jenner?
Why, why, why people?
Is it because that Kris woman has him under her slipper?
Maybe, actually ...

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Because he's become a complete wimp due to his exposure to the Kardashians. Remember when he was a manly Olympic champion? Now he's a make-up wearing fop with a face lift and no will of his own. It's sad, so sad.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Never have a celeb as a role model.
Let them entertain you but not use them as a plan for your own life.
That's just silly.

edit on 21-6-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

I don't understand why Paris Hilton didn't make the female list

Agree on Paris, but I must be old because the first person I thought of was O.J. Simpson. Also, did everyone forget Britany's breakdown, Tom Cruise and his scientology, Alec Baldwin's phone rant to his daughter, Halle Berry leaving the scene of an accident?

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Fair enough, and all worthy candidates for sure.

However, I'd suppose that being a current bad role model means your name has recently been out there.
Perhaps it's even a backhanded compliment.

I think it was mentioned somewhere recently that the conclusion of the OJ Simpson trial was the birth of this generation of college freshmen, that's how long ago it actually was.
They wouldn't remember it.

Maybe some people are also just rather forgotten completely.

I suppose Mel, Tiger and Charlie are still famous and topical in some way.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I'm with you on all of those, and more! Maybe we should submit our own "list" to the Huffington Post- I think their list needs to be much, much longer!

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
any and all celebs that makes money off shooting guns in movies and then shoots their mouth off about how it should be illegal to own one .

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Fellow ATSers remember the voters on this poll were parents with kids over 8 years of age - of course they are going to be concerned about what's in the media today, even though many of us might like to add "worthy" individuals to the list. That's the key in understanding poll results - the "universe" of candidate responses and their demographics as well as the size of the group - and then there's bias, intentional or implied, that skews the "results" from analysing the actual data. /endrant

Let's not forget Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, the 27 club in general - we may remember Jimi/Janis/Morrison while the kids might identify with Belushi/Candy and their kids are more attuned to Cobain/Winehouse.
I don't see much objectional about Justin Beiber because there's very little of substance to begin with, but in the eyes of parents it's all about perception and influence on the kids and Beiber is popular no doubt.

ganjoa

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

In my day bad role models were Dee Snider, Ozzy Osbourne and Bart Simpson.

Nowadays, these two are more like your old, lovable, crazy uncles....and Bart is simply too insane to be confused with reality.

Perhaps these are unlikeable and annoying celebrities ... but are they really bad role models?

Some are, some aren't.

Lindsay Lohan for example, has displayed a lot of public intoxication, flagrant sexuality, and unprofessionalism in her career.

Paris Hilton is famous for no other reason than being a rich heiress with a sex tape. Kim K. is basically the same claim to fame, but at least she pioneered it into a business. Still, her sham marriage, and bouncing between boyfriends is certainly not worth modeling.

Most of the people on that list really should be there.

top topics

join