It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Madrid Fault Zone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2003 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I know I have mentioned the New Madrid Fault Zone a number of times in the thread about World Wide Seismic Event, and thought I would post a bit of information about it.

In the winter of 1811-12, the central Mississippi Valley was struck by three of the most powerful earthquakes in U.S. history. Even today, this region has more earthquakes than any other part of the United States east of the Rocky Mountains. Government agencies, universities, and private organizations are working to increase awareness of the earthquake threat and to reduce loss of life and property in future shocks.
The 400 terrified residents in the town of New Madrid (Missouri) were abruptly awakened by violent shaking and a tremendous roar. It was December 16, 1811, and a powerful earthquake had just struck. This was the first of three magnitude-8 earthquakes and thousands of aftershocks to rock the region that winter.

Survivors reported that the earthquakes caused cracks to open in the earth's surface, the ground to roll in visible waves, and large areas of land to sink or rise. The crew of the New Orleans (the first steamboat on the Mississippi, which was on her maiden voyage) reported mooring to an island only to awake in the morning and find that the island had disappeared below the waters of the Mississippi River. Damage was reported as far away as Charleston, South Carolina, and Washington, D.C.

quake.wr.usgs.gov...

www.imsa.edu...

www.eas.slu.edu...

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I have seen a lot of websites talking about a buildup in the New Madrid fault zone, and that a big one would be coming soon.

Can anyone verify this? Are the people in the effected region being told?

Most of them are still feeling the effects of Katrina... another disaster in that Region of the Nation would be catastrophic...and thats an understatement.

I need to find out more about the New Madrid Fault Zone, and how dangerous it really is... i never heard about it before.

And I always thought that Cali was gonna get hit by the big one...ha!

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Where2Hide2006

I need to find out more about the New Madrid Fault Zone, and how dangerous it really is... i never heard about it before.

Here`s a couple of links from our very own ATS

ATS: Tecumseh And The New Madrid Earthquake (by Hellmutt)

ATS: Earthquake Planning - New Madrid Region (by Indy)

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
It seems like they're at least preparing for it...

Kirksville hospital equipped with mobile emergency room

January 6, 2007

Joining 15 other Missouri cities, Kirksville now has a mobile emergency room for treating mass casualties.

[---]

Columbia received three trailers, which could travel to nearby cities on either U.S. Highway 63 or Interstate 70, and St. Louis, Kansas City and Springfield have 27 trailers combined. Several trailers were spaced throughout the southeast corner of Missouri.

"When the New Madrid fault goes, if it goes, they're going to need them," Holte said.

[---]

MHA will train Kirksville hospital personnel on full trailer usage Jan. 18, but Holte said it would be ready today if disaster hit.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

new topics

top topics

join