It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama administration charges NSA whistleblower Snowden with espionage

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Yes, Snowden is giving information to the enemy - he is giving information to the people - the people are the enemy. Until the public understands this and when the west starts looking like Turkey and Brazil then don't cry about the police state.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
GO! Snowden! give us truth and freedom.

Espionage?

obtaining information considered secret or confidential without the permission of the holder

From Wikipedia.

as Snowden had permission to read the documents as part of his job.
he can not have committed espionage.
passing them on Yes!

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
It's really heartening to see so much support for Snowden in this thread and those involved might be interested in attending a "Restore the 4th" rally on July 4. I made a thread on this but just in case you missed it: "Restore the Fourth aims to end all forms of unconstitutional surveillance of digital communications by the United States government. One specific program Restore the Fourth seeks to discontinue is known as PRISM, which is directed by the National Security Agency."

Link to protest locations (and there are LOTS all around the country):

Restore the Fourth

edit on 22-6-2013 by Archie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

I've attempted to mentally piece together what kind of individual desires to live in a world in which their government is privy to every move they make, listens in on every word they utter, watches everywhere they go, knows every medical, financial, interest, opinion, food, drink, car, tv, address, phone call, email, letter, job, sport, weapon, political preference, sexual habit, thought, enemy, desire, clothing and shoe size, facial expression, barber, fantasy, dream, and any other freaking thing that you and I might hold within our daily routine or the very depths of our soul. In the process of my reflection I discovered something; that individual is not a human being by any definition of the word.

Don't be an authoritarian enabler.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
So the US has been unfaithful to the rest of the world. Now it's charging the person that told us it was being unfaithful to it's sponse with death...

Immagine seeing this on a tv show?
edit on 22-6-2013 by br0ker because: (no reason given)[/e
edit on 22-6-2013 by br0ker because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-6-2013 by br0ker because: Drunk

edit on 22-6-2013 by br0ker because: Ipad # autoxorrect
extra DIV

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

And the confusion deepens. So we're to view China as not only the U.S.'s valuable trade partner and very generous creditor but also its fearsome enemy.

It apparently is whatever it needs to be characterized as to suit the needs of the agenda du jure.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
They started taking my phone records,
and I didn’t mind because I’ve got nothing to hide.

They started tracking all the websites I've been to,

They installed cameras on every street corner,

They started keeping all my emails,

They started keeping all my phone conversations,

They started activating cell phone’s cameras and microphones,

They started using drones over our houses,

They started installing tracking chips under our skin,

They started installing cameras and microphones in every room of every home,
and only then did I start to get upset.

…then they took me away,
and nobody heard my thoughts.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Are you tired of the Government tracking you? what if you don't want them turning on your cell phone then turning your camera? Or what if you don't want them turning on your laptop at night to see what you got? Well here is one solution.....the Faraday Cage!! As big as a whole room to as small as Cell Phone.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Very well said! Too many people are still of the mindset "If it doesn't touch me or the people I love, then so what"

Don't you get it....If you cannot stand for the very principles that gave you these freedoms, what do you stand for?
Integrity and honor always come with a price......

Thank you for your post,
Pax

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Snowden is a hero, he deserves a medal, as do a few other whistleblowers. That said, I certainly can't fault him if he seeks safe haven in another country since he'll never get a fair trial but if we had a real justice system he would stand up against the charges of breaking the law. There's several ways to fight them ranging from it being an illegal order to immunity.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Normally I would disagree with you on just about any other political subject but what you just said I agree with 100%. It is rather suspect he ran to china with god knows what information he probably spilled to them. Most people who are putting him on a pedistal have not seemed to be commenting on that part of the issue.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
How much longer are we going to allow the corrupt one's to label, and/or prosecute people with espionage, treason, enemy of the state etc, just for exposing their corruption ?

The fact that the US Government [and many more] have the laws to be able to do this should be the first indication of a corrupt Government. They can act as corruptly as they wish, and if anyone points out what they are doing, they then get charged under the very laws that should be applied to Governments like the US.

How much longer............................?

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I think the guys a hero and it took guts to do what he did.

Ben Franklin said those that trade freedom for security deserve neither.

George Carlin said you have no rights. Your rights under the constitution are nothing more then temporary privileges that can be revoked at any moment just ask the Japanese Americans of 1942.

I believe the American government has become so drunk with power they think they can do what ever they want and you know what they can. I believe this country is flat out evil. The amount of greed and corruption runs deep.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   
How delightfully Orwellian.

Charging someone who exposes your illegal spying with espionage.

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH!

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I for one would like to see the evidence that the government has broken the law written by us voters. As far as I know everything the USA gov has been doing is allowed/amended. Don't claim the constitution because it can be, and has been amended.

When what has been shed by this "whistleblower" is deemed illegal by an international council I might side with this said whisteblower, until then he got a job with the USA gov, and felt what was being done was immoral...I repeat HIS FEELINGS.

Every country/world superpower does this (spying)

If you really believe otherwise you are a fool, and what you would call a puppet on these here forums.

Here's the major impact for the USA, nothing will happen. Snowden (hell even that last name sounds fabricted) will never see usa charges. China will say wtf? We'll respond with our intel of them doing the same. Russia will say wtf? Again, we'll respond with our proof of them doing the same.

All you constitutioners think for a minute, if EVERYONE is doing this why is only the USA coming under scrutiny?

Oh yea cuz in other countries you are not tried, you are executed. The US not getting snowden is more a slap from the international community.

Everyone thinking snowden is a hero is a fool, china does this, russia does this, hell everyone does it. If you think the data packets you send online are NOT monitored by some orginazition you are a fool.

What you have at this level is 100% espionage, and china got the US on this one. Will anything happen? Nope. Snowden will live a long life unless the cia thinks he shouldn't.

Simply put, you will always be monitored. Feel violated all you want, but usually its for the best interest...I emphasize USUALLY.

The day your so called violated rights cause the deaths of many you might think different.

Have a good day

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Has anyone heard if charges will be brought against Elibiary yet? know, tis guy:

The moderate Muslim who will stand forthrightly against terrorism. Youthful, engaging and well-spoken, Elibiary’s star has been on the rise for years. In October 2010, Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Janet Napolitano named him to the Homeland Security Advisory Council. The member “Elibiary may have been given access to a sensitive database of state and local intelligence reports, and then allegedly shopped some of those materials to a media outlet.” According to Poole, Elibiary approached “a left-leaning media outlet” with reports marked For Official Use Only that he said demonstrated rampant “Islamophobia” in the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS). The media outlet declined to do a story, but what was Elibiary doing shopping them Official Use Only documents in the first place?

www.humanevents.com...

I hate to say it but if Snowden were Muslim then maybe they would go a little softer on him.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Cool, on his way to Russia
Edward Snowden leaves Hong Kong on Moscow flight

Hong Kong said Washington had failed to meet the requirements for extradition.

Pity he has to run.

"Mr Edward Snowden left Hong Kong today (June 23) on his own accord for a third country through a lawful and normal channel," the Hong Kong government said in a statement.
On Saturday, the White House contacted Hong Kong to try to arrange his extradition, but the territory's administration now says the documents submitted by Washington did not "fully comply with the legal requirements under Hong Kong law".

edit on 23-6-2013 by KenArten because: added more info

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
What consequences will Edward Snowden's to-Russia-with-love venture bring. Certainly brings new life to the situation?

Seems this is a big cat that will be ruffling the feathers of many Washington pigeons.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by KenArten
What consequences will Edward Snowden's to-Russia-with-love venture bring. Certainly brings new life to the situation?

Seems this is a big cat that will be ruffling the feathers of many Washington pigeons.

He is seeking asylum in Ecuador, Moscow is the way in I presume. You can thank Hong Kong for giving him the chance. I should add Ecuador is also protecting Assange against political persecution. Since they have worldwide co-operative links including US and Russia and UK, all these countries need to respect their diplomatic presence.
The UK did try a threat, but it was a weak one. I guess the heart wasn't in it over Assange.
edit on 23-6-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join