It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama administration charges NSA whistleblower Snowden with espionage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Obama administration charges NSA whistleblower Snowden with espionage

rt.com

US federal prosecutors have charged whistleblower Edward Snowden with espionage, theft and conversion of government property in a sealed criminal complaint, and asked Hong Kong to detain him ahead of a move to extradite him.

DETAILS TO FOLLOW
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 6/21/2013 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

+15 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Some view Snowden as a traitor others view him as a hero. I think what he did was right and whatever the case maybe he doesn't deserve to be killed. Typical of the tyrants in office to try to push the fear of "Cross us and see what happens".

All I know is that Snowden has a pair of stones on him for coming out about this, prolly knowing that this was to come from it.

I'll post more details when they are released.

What do you think ATS?

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Bring in the firing squad. This guy is a traitor.

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Well that makes asylum more easy!

There are alot of countrys that wont extridite if the person faces execution.

+17 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Of course...he stirred up a few hornets nests and now he needs to pay.....off with his head

He is a hero in my book......he stood up to the political powers that conspire to destroy what our founding fathers built.

+41 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
this administration is a joke.
they were the ones breaking the law, how come we can't try them?
what's the lesson here? report corruption=go to jail

+37 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCrimsonGhost

Bs he exposed illegal operations.

He is a hero for refusing to sit by and be complicite in illegal acts!

If he came to my house he would find sanctury.

+36 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

the real traitors are the ones listening to our phone calls, reading our emails, and so on

+17 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

What makes him a traitor? Because he was one step ahead of the NSA and the Obama White House? I have to disagree with you. He did what he thought was right for our rights.

-SAP-

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Well? Charges had to come. We all knew that and so did he. He said as much when he first came out and identified himself.

Now if there was a man among those wimps in Congress, this is the time we'd hear immunity offers for testimony under oath to the investigations THEY thought mattered so much and his contribution would directly make or break. Of course, they won't. In my opinion, it shows their interest was never about truth or actually finding what has actually happened. Oh hell no. They wanted to play politics. The truth is sitting in Hong Kong and the legal means exist to bring him back under full cover of immunity for what he's done, so long as his testimony covers every bit of it.

The problem, naturally, is half of Congress thinks the same of him for being a traitor. Well... I do hope we all recall that, no matter which letter their names have, come 2014 and 2016. We can't see Congressman charged for their lesser crimes against us and the national good, but we CAN see to it they no longer serve in public office. They deserve no less as they show no compassion to this man.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I would like to see Congress to something like that, but I think that's wishful thinking at best. We know that they view him as a traitor and I'm sure they will want to see him charged and eventually executed...

None of them have the spines to stand up for someone like Snowden.

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I minor update but I will post it anyhow. I'm going to try to keep up with the updates on this story because its something I've been following pretty closely.

Washington has now asked Hong Kong’s government to detain Snowden on a provisional arrest warrant, according to officials who spoke with the Post. Though the territory is considered a “semi-autonomous” region under Chinese sovereignty, it is unclear whether the matter will be handled solely by Hong Kong’s legal system with or without intervention from Beijing.

The specific details of how Snowden transported the classified NSA documents are somewhat unclear, with The Guardian saying they were extracted using four laptops taken to Hong Kong, though subsequent reporting has pointed to the use of a basic USB thumb drive. Removable media such as thumb drives are banned for use on SIPRNET, the Defense Department’s secret network.
rt.com...

-SAP-
edit on 21-6-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Why would china or hong hong want too arrest him?

Unless the country is a primary allie of the usa it would be far more fun to not get involved.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

That's a good question. To be honest I'm not sure how China is going to react. Being the way the are they could play either side. I could see them "doing the right thing" and turning him over. We'll just have to wait for their response...

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful

That's a good question. To be honest I'm not sure how China is going to react. Being the way the are they could play either side. I could see them "doing the right thing" and turning him over. We'll just have to wait for their response...

-SAP-

Only if the usa offers them something.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Having kept up with the Snowden point of news the following can be stated:

Snowden is not a traitor. If he gave the information to another government, or to a foriegn power currently engaged in hostile/armed conflict with the US, that causes the US to lose territory or resources, then the Traitor aspect would be valid. Of all of the crimes that can be done, Treason is the only one that is outlined in the US Constitution with very specific guidelines and definition as to what is and is not the act and how a person may be convicted of such.

But Snowden is a criminal, he did break the law, and will have to pay for that crime. But now there is a glitch, in the RT report, that is not taken into consideration. It is too public, the federal government can not simply make him disappear without the public knowing about it or crying foul, and giving the people more to grumble about. There is a powder keg that is smoldering, and the Federal government currently is trying to stoke up the flames, rather than let it die down.

But there is one other aspect not mentioned in this entire article and that is the 3 players in who has say over Snowden. The US wants him back to face charges, Hong Kong has him and China is flexing its muscles stating it has jurisdiction. The US can not remove him with out Hong Kong agreeing to such, and ultimately China as well, and something tells me that China is not going to be so willing to let him leave out of their grasp so readily without something big in return.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

They just might do that if they want him bad enough.

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Tis a sad day when I am afraid to comment.........

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I know he doesn't want to run away to Iceland to be noble and all of that but they have a plane ready for him it says so I will be astounded if he does not take this opportunity. There is no shame in this because he needs to allow this country to help him send a message to the world.

Going to Iceland would be a message to other whistle blowers to assure them there can be safety in this process. If he stays in Hong Kong for whatever reason this will communicate to the world that doing such things leads to hell on earth. It can't be easy as it is but if the end result is execution what message does this send?

I do wish he would release more info. I would love to hear about more corruption from big corporations as an example - how they run the government while the government is complicit to this. If your going to go down, get somewhere safe and give us the whole story.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
FYI, espionage doesn't include the death penalty, your thinking of treason, they are two different charges. Their ability to prove he is guilty of espionage would rest on the prosecution being able to show that he caused harm to the government while simultaneously helping it's enemies.

Unless the American people are the governments enemies, I am unsure at this time how they would plan to do that but you can never rule out the possibility that he did have a chinese connection, although I doubt it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join