It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patients Suffer from PTSD after Major Medical Events

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
This is an important article. People should be aware of this.

This is a real thing. I know ... I had a VERY hard time three years ago with medical issues and being misdiagnosed and mistreated by doctor after doctor .. as well as dealing with severe side effects from many different medications ... I am sure that I developed PTSD from going through what I went through for five months back in 2010. It still effects me to this day.

Patients Suffer from PTSD after Major Medical Events

Nearly one in four stroke patients experience PTSD in the year following their stroke, according to a study published Thursday in the scientific journal PLOS ONE. Lead author Dr. Donald Edmondson and his colleagues analyzed nine previous studies with a total of 1,138 participants to arrive at this conclusion. Although the sample size was relatively small for a study of this kind, Edmondson has done previous research on PTSD after traumatic medical events with similar results.

Last year Edmondson published a study looking at PTSD caused by cardiovascular events, similar to Mogle's. Analyzing data from more than 2,300 patients, he found one in every eight heart attack survivors develop PTSD, and that those who do are twice as likely to have another heart attack or die in the three years following their first.

"This is the same disorder most people think about (associated) with combat survivors or sexual assault," says Edmondson, an assistant professor of behavioral medicine at Columbia University Medical Center in New York. "The symptoms are similar. It's diagnosed the same way."

Stroke victims. Heart attack victims. Back surgeries. Bad medical experiences.
Sometimes things happen to people that they aren't prepared for.
Sometimes things happen to people that they can't handle.
People need to be aware that they can suffer PTSD from having bad medical experiences.
Knowing what is happening to you can help with recovery or at least help in handling what
is going on in your life.

Anyways, I think this is an important article. I hope people read it and remember it.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Symptomatic A Fib can cause some PTSD and I am sure the stress of PTSD doesn't make the A Fib any better.

Some people can feel it and some cannot. No fun feeling PVCs or PACs trying to go to sleep,

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
psychological care is a big deal these days for patients who have had some kind of traumatic experience and that can include things such as having a CVA.

Actually i know that in the hospital i am working in the ICU has a mental health liaison who goes in a speaks to patients after they have been admitted to intensive care just because of the recognition that a experience such as that can cause some issues, including PTSD.

S&F

Thanks for posting

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
This totally happened to me. One minute everything is fine, the next you're dealing with a major medical crisis.

It causes a deep sense of lack of control....resulting in a sort of hyper- vigilance.

top topics

join