It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paula Deen uses the N-Word - gets sued - right or worng?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I say career because this sort of thing can really follow a person and become associated with them these days, which is part of the craziness for how far it's gone in the use of a word to hold so strongly against people. Not being politically correct at all times would seem to be a terminal offense in some segments of society by the way that link not only showed her being fired but basically, instantly.

She signed a contract that, in all likelihood, had a morals clause. When you say something like this to an employee, what exactly are you expecting to have happen:

Jackson states that she was appointed by Deen to handle the catering and staff for Bubba’s wedding in 2007, and she asked Deen what the servers should wear: “Well what I would really like is a bunch of little n***ers to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around,” Jackson alleges Deen told her. “Now, that would be a true Southern wedding wouldn’t it? But we can’t do that because the media would be on me about that.”
Source.

Couple things like that to the alleged sexual harassment perpetrated by her brother on the same employee, and you're just asking for a lawsuit. That's the very definition of a "hostile work environment".

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
You cant even use the "R-word" (r-e-t-a-r-d) when some one does something really stupid for fear of offending the families of those who are mentally retarded (obviously these who really are retarded are not offended however).

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Oprah needs to have a Special (like Barbra Walters used to do after she semi-retired prior to The View) and Paula Deen can be a guest and apologize to Oprah and the nation for using offensive language and then let her get on with her cooking show...and maybe have her cook a special meal for the first family.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
You cant even use the "R-word" (r-e-t-a-r-d) when some one does something really stupid for fear of offending the families of those who are mentally retarded (obviously these who really are retarded are not offended however).

Retard or retarded isn't interchangeable with Developmental Disability (or whatever term is replacing it in the new DSM), it is an example of one type of developmental disability, not even the most common.
edit on 22-6-2013 by Cambot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
She isn't being sued for using the n-word. She is being sued for racial and sexual harassment. Her usage of the n-word was uncovered in the deposition which led to her impending downfall.

I wonder how many black employees suffered in silence because they truly needed their job?

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by cry93

That's a very good question... I looked and could not find a single blurb about anyone being mistreated for the color of their skin... or for any reason, really, except Lisa Jackson. Can anyone else?

The so-called racial slur was also integrally mentioned in the lawsuit. According to Today, Deen visited a restaurant where she was so impressed with the black waiters in their white dress doing such a professional job, she once suggested doing something similar in her restaurant.

Today

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Martha Stewart went to jail, and her product is still out there going strong everywhere. But I guess insider trading doesn't carry the same stigma.

People are talking about things that happen in the "south". Well, from personal experience, also people are called "gringo" in the south too. Never occurred to me to sue. Only people with lot's of money are worth suing though, right?
I've been called other stuff too, and probably worse things here on this site.

Apparently the term "gringo" evolved out of the color of coat worn by American soldiers, and so "gringo" is a kind of slur meaning "invader".

I just love how some people can be racist all they want.
edit on 22-6-2013 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
In the (vain) hopes that this post does not offend anyone... no, that's not right. I have no control over what offends someone. The person offended does.

I grew up with the word. It was part of the language, and had different meanings based on how it was used. In some places, it is still in use... I know one black man who uses it constantly! He used it to refer to me the last time I was over at his place buying a tiller. It was a joke, intended to show that there is no difference between us.

Actually, I think there is a difference. He is one of the finest people I know. But that's neither here nor there.

At some point, I realized that some people were getting offended at the word, so I made a conscious effort to stop using it, at least in public. Has anyone ever tried to stop using a single word that was an integral part of their language? Try to stop using the word "wave" or maybe "wire" or "pole"... heck, just try to stop using a generic name you're used to using, like "bubba" or "mister"... it's almost impossible to simply stop. I still let it slip once in a while after all these years.

Then consider how many black people use it themselves... comedians, for instance. Outside of Bill Cosby, is there a black comedian who doesn't use it regularly in their act?

Paula Deen was speaking privately when she used it, and as I understand it, not even in reference to anyone connected with the plaintiff. As far as I am concerned, case closed right there. If there was harassment going on at the restaurant, that is another story... and there may well be a case for this if there was a five year history of complaints. But that's not what got Deen in trouble... a single word uttered in private is what did that.

I swear, I hope she gets off scott free from the harassment suit because of this idiotic complaint.

Offense is not mine to give. I physically cannot offend or not offend anyone by speech. I do not have that ability. The only ability I have is the exact same one everyone reading this has, and that is the ability to be offended or not. A word is a word; the connotation is solely in the mind of the listener. If I say "my cat is green" and you think I have an alien cat, you made that determination... not me.

When "Dog the Bounty Hunter" came out, I thought the show was stupid... until Dog lost his job for something similar. Now I make sure to watch "Dog and Beth On The Hunt" as much as I can. It's still a stupid show, but it's one way to show support for someone who was railroaded. I never paid a bit of attention to Paula Deen before; now I will probably have to start watching her every chance I get as well. And make sure I do not watch the Food Network (which I don't anyway).

People need to get over themselves. It's a word. I swear, if I were placed in Deen's position right now, I would make a point to use it as often and as loudly as I could... she has already lost her show and possibly her business... what is there left to lose? Her freedom? I think I could make a fine court case that if I was punished for using it, then all black comedians (except Mr. Cosby) would have to be sitting in the cells next to me.

Slavery ended in America (notwithstanding economic slavery of course) in the 1850s, at the cost of countless American lives and bitterness that still echoes today. No one living today has ever been a slave; no one living today has a parent who was a slave; no one living today has ever owned a slave; no one living today has ever known anyone who was a slave or who owned a slave. So what if Savannah was a slave trading hub once? It isn't one today and hasn't been one in anyone's memory. If we're going to keep that stain on it, let's just bulldoze the thing to the ground (Sherman almost did in the Civil War anyway) and use it for a nuclear waste dump.

I'm sorry this turned into a rant, folks, but it has to be said... when we can use words spoken in private to be used to assign unintended meanings in public, we have already become slaves ourselves. Our freedom is then gone forever.

Notice the name - it's not an insult, it's a word:
TheRedneck

Thank You. I thoroughly enjoyed reading that.

When will hypocrisy such as uttered words spoken by those of different ethnicity's be addressed by the people of America in full disclosure and reality?

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I am a white woman. In 1987 a black man called me a zippity-do-a## MFer because I made him angry in the course of my job. Maybe I should have called him a name but he wasn't worth my job.

People choose to be offended. Blacks choose to only be offended by the word "N" when it is delivered by a white.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by iterationzero

Thanks for the link and info. I do not see her use of the N word to be a problem in this case as far as is it creating a hostile work environment. A question was asked, and answered in bad taste but thats all.

Now I see your link says Lisa Jackson left the company in 2010 - Why wait 3 years to file a claim in court? 3 whole years after the alleged " hostile work environment"?

You link is also biased. They call out Bubba as being a dumb hick simply because of his name.

With a brother name Bubba, i expect nothing less from Deen and her country family who grew up during a racist era.
That's as bad as being a racist.. in fact It IS racism. Just another example of how Media is trying to Spin this thing into something it's not.

www.newspitter.com...
edit on 22-6-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Gumerk

When will it stop? When we quit paying for it.

If you had any idea of the amount of money that is made out of "fighting racism," you would be amazed. The entire Democratic party has made it a platform plank to fight against slavery... slavery which has not existed for a century and a half. Of course, no one mentions that George Wallace, who stood on the Selma High School steps surrounded by security daring any black students to try and enter was a Democrat. Or that Abraham Lincoln, who signed the emancipation proclamation, was the first Republican President.

I'm not affiliated with either party. They're all liars and thieves.

Think about the fame achieved by Jesse Jackson, or Al Sharpton. Both made their fortunes fighting racism. Well, how do you fight something that doesn't exist? It has to be created in order to fight it. So rather than let racism die as it should, it is brought back up regularly. The Confederate Battlejack flag, a symbol that to me symbolizes the willingness of my ancestors to fight for their homeland and their courage in battle, will soon be plastered across the news again as a racist symbol of slavery. Never mind the fact that the war was started over a land use tax. Never mind that William Tecumseh Sherman openly hated black people and left many to die after he "freed" them. Never mind that Lincoln's great Emancipation Proclamation freed only blacks south of the Mason-Dixon line and it was a couple of years more before Northern slaves were freed... we have to fight against this racist symbol because if we don't... no one will make any money.

Oh, no! A white person said a bad word! Lynch her! Bury her beneath a jailhouse in shame! And make sure to contribute what you can so we can continue to fight these heinous criminals and set you free!

It'll stop when we stop paying for it and realize we are all special, unique, talented people and not some organic mass that can be fully controlled and classified solely by skin color.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Here is Spider's rant on the matter, for while I am annoyed I ain't even that upset with what Paula said or didn't say or the racist sexist manner she and her brother ran their business, that said what I am about to say will endear me even less to some ATS members but this is how Spider feel at this moment, one can't control what anyone feels,think or say about you and given the free speech guarantee in the Constitution I wouldn't even try..that said I am deeply angered and disappointed at Uncle Tom and Aunt Jemima blacks who participated in their own humiliation, for how in hell you willingly let a group of descendants of wealthy pigs who owned your ancestors [some within living memory] who built their fortunes off their backs hire you to play House Ni@@@@r for nothing more than their sick nostalgic fantasies, for unless you are willing to go Nat Turner,Sam Sharpe the Maroons of Jamaica,Jean-Jacques Dessalines of Haiti or even the fictional Django on their azzez at dinner time, you get nooo respect from either me or those degenerate wannabe slave holders stuffing their plump faces and laughing at your expense and while I do not condone the following (don't take the gig in the first place) if you are that hard up for cash and in need of a gig at least have the bad sense or taste to leave your bodily excretions in their meals.
Can you imagine a group of Jews no ,matter how broke they maybe,donning yellow armed bands with the star of David serving the descendants of Nazi pigs who have a nostalgic wet dream for the height of Nazi power??
no you can't but there are blacks among us willing to take on that role for a pay check, and I am sorry to say this but that form of Uncle Tomism manifest itself among some southern blacks who are pre deposed to become Toms...End Rant.

I might add it's sicking to have folks continuously make up excuses for racist behavior yes slavery ended 130yrs?? ago but I knew people who knew people born as slaves and It's not like lynchings and Jim Crow, didn't immediately follow right up till the sixties to keep Blacks in their place and economically depressed. the result are still with us to this day..but it's not black folks place to be angry for they must grit their teeth and bare it so as to make racist white folks with delusions of grandeur continue to feel safe exposing their racism..
edit on 22-6-2013 by Spider879 because: Add more info

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Why is dumb Paula Deen getting so much more coverage by the mainstream media than the issues revealed by the information shared with the media by the NSA Whistleblower?

Sorry, to me, our Constitutional rights are far more important than some woman with a cooking show...

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

It's wrong. She testified that she said the word 20 years ago, and they fire her for it 20 years later, when she said the word 20 years ago before she was in the employ of Food Network?

I'd bet a lot that if a black chef in their employ testified to saying the word "Cracker" 20 years ago, not a damn thing would happen.

This politically correct junk has got to stop, it's turning into nothing but a witch hunt.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
How rediculous this sue happy world is. I'll bet Ms. Jackson has used the word cracker many times referring to white folks as well. So now can white people start suing black people for calling us crackers? The worst part is that the case will be heard. It wasn't long ago a judge would look at this case and immediately throw it out.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

It's wrong. She testified that she said the word 20 years ago, and they fire her for it 20 years later, when she said the word 20 years ago before she was in the employ of Food Network?

I'd bet a lot that if a black chef in their employ testified to saying the word "Cracker" 20 years ago, not a damn thing would happen.

This politically correct junk has got to stop, it's turning into nothing but a witch hunt.

Bull It's not about a one off thing with her it's multiple bad behavior on her and her brothers's part and there is no what if's as no Black chef in their employ was accused of saying any such thing but go ahead continue to defend and rationalize racist behavior..

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I don't think Jackson has a case against Deen, but only possibly a case against Bubba Hiers for sexual harassment.

I agree. If there is evidence of sexual harassment then he should be held to account.

As far as Paula and the N-word; who cares? It’s not a crime to be an obnoxious bigot. If it was then Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson, Louis Farrakhan et al would all be broke and incarcerated. If you don’t like what your boss says then find another flipping job….don’t sue him/her! This seems like an excuse to go after Paula’s millions.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Spider879

Bull It's not about a one off thing with her it's multiple bad behavior on her and her brothers's part and there is no what if's as no Black chef in their employ was accused of saying any such thing but go ahead continue to defend and rationalize racist behavior.

It’s not illegal to make racist comments!

So just because somebody offends you with the N-word you’re entitled to their money??

You wish life was that easy!

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Spider879

Bull It's not about a one off thing with her it's multiple bad behavior on her and her brothers's part and there is no what if's as no Black chef in their employ was accused of saying any such thing but go ahead continue to defend and rationalize racist behavior.

It’s not illegal to make racist comments!

So just because somebody offends you with the N-word you’re entitled to their money??

You wish life was that easy!

As far as I am reading it's not about the N-word that will have that racist POS loose money it's sexual harassment on her brother's part. she just lost that great cooking T.V gig that's all.
edit on 22-6-2013 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spider879

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Bull It's not about a one off thing with her it's multiple bad behavior on her and her brothers's part and there is no what if's as no Black chef in their employ was accused of saying any such thing but go ahead continue to defend and rationalize racist behavior..

I'm not defending racist behavior. What I am saying is it's hypocritical to knock someone for saying something 20 years ago, and then fire them for it, and the article I read didn't mention anything about any current bad behavior.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join