It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paula Deen uses the N-Word - gets sued - right or worng?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by usernameconspiracy

There just in NO excuse for using the word in general, much less in your business and around your employees. That's just plain stupid on her part.

She didn't.

She said under oath, when asked if she had ever used the word, that yes, she had used it in the past. That's all she said. Show me one complaint that she used it in a business setting, show me one report that she had used it recently,

Here you go.

LINK

The allegations aren't from some distant, unenlightened past. The complaints are from 2005-2010. And she certainly doesn't come off very well in the transcript. She reads as tone deaf as the Steve Carell character from the Office, admitting to telling racist jokes and not understanding what's offensive about it.

However, let's say she IS getting screwed by her corporate underwriters who aren't giving her the benefit of the doubt. Big deal. Thousands of people are screwed every day by corporate America. At least she's not going to have to go live in her parent's basement. I'm not losing any sleep over Paula Deen. She was marketing an image of the old fashioned south that has a very nasty potential downside; she needed to be squeaky clean and she wasn't. Happens to corporate spokesmen all the time.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DelMarvel

Here you go.

Where?

That's a Huffington Post article, which links to a Radar Online article which then links to a 404 Page.

Just a lot more unsubstantiated bashing of someone for using a word.

TheRedneck

edit on 6/26/2013 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

Here you go.

Where?

That's a Huffington Post article, which links to a Radar Online article which then links to a 404 Page.

Just a lot more unsubstantiated bashing of someone for using a word.

TheRedneck

edit on 6/26/2013 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

Directly from item 51 in the PDF of Jackson's complaint against Deen:

LINK.

Paula Deen placed Ms. Jackson in charge of food and serving arrangements for the wedding of her brother Bubba Hiers in February 2007. When Ms. Jackson asked Ms. Deen what look the wedding should have, Ms. Deen replied...."Well what I would really like is a bunch of little n***ers to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around… Now, that would be a true Southern wedding wouldn't it? But we can't do that because the media would be on me about that."...the same attitude prevailed with restaurant operations.

I believe that satisfies your request for one complaint that Deen used the word recently in a business context.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Man, if you can be dragged into court for things you say.....what a scary world we live in. Everyone says stupid stuff from time to time. I thinkt he concern should rather be the "patterned trend of maladaptive behavior" that I set as a hurdle in my own business units. If you have a one off incident, that doesn't equate to a patterned trend.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Thank you for the link... wow... just... wow....

I will have to admit that I was having trouble reading this and remembering that these are, at this time, just charges. I do believe in the concept of innocent until proven guilty, but if true these are damning accusations.

The real harassment is apparently from Bubba; Paula's role seems to be more that of an enabler.

I will not back away from my statement that a word is just a word, and under no circumstances should someone be punished for simply using a word... but I will also admit that the actions alleged in this lawsuit appear to be serious and well worthy of relief if true. Saying a word is not the issue; the allegations are of constant and continued harassment, physical abuse, overt sexual advances and suggestive comments, and discrimination in pay scale and advancement opportunity.

That's the real issue, and if this is true, Bubba and Paula deserve what is coming to them.

Thank you again for the link.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Forget the word the working conditions were horrid I am only guessing here but if this Bubba character tried to pull only a fraction of what he is accused of doing on either coast NYC/L.A he would be drinking soup for breakfast lunch and dinner through a straw his business would be up for sale to pay-off multiple lawsuits a long long time ago. I am amazed at the spineless, cringing,subservient attitude displayed by the AAs involved.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
And come to think of it she's actually getting a pass from the media. Nobody is asking about all these other charges which would bring Bubba and how they run their business into the conversation. She's able to spin this as her being persecuted for using the term once years ago.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

The 1.2 Million sought in the suit is de minimis compared to what her empire has already lost just this week...plus the personal humiliation. No one has sued Michelle Obama for using the "W" word.*

* Whitey

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I don't mean to go too far off topic, but if Paula Deen can get fried over a grill for something she said, imagine what the NSA has on ANYONE who has ever said ANYTHING that they have saved.

. . . . . . . You HAD the right to remain silent, EVERYTHING you've ever said can and will be used against you in a court of public opinion. . . . .

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Deen also reportedly admitted telling racist jokes, explaining: “It’s just what they are — they’re jokes…most jokes are about Jewish people, rednecks, black folks…I can’t determine what offends another person.”

I have always been lead to believe we live in a country where we, as citizens of the U S, have accepted as a right the freedom of speech.

If this is true, we should also look at the other side of this right. We DO NOT have the right to stop someone from saying what they want to say, regardless of however offensive it may be. At the same time we DO NOT have the right to NOT be offended by it. We are free to express our own attitudes and feelings about their statements, but it is their right to say whatever they want.

At the same time, may I ask for us to put this current topic into a little prespective.

This is the same country and the same people who, not very long ago, elected an " accused" cocain user and known alcoholic, who had been AWOL from his military service for years, to the office of President of the United States of America.

Some are now raising an uproar over someone who has admitted to using offensive language and expressing thoughts with which some people do not agree.

I think it is time some of us got a grip on the nation's priorities.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
So how come Paul Deen gets nailed for using the 'n' word ....
But Trayvon Martin called Zimmerman a 'crazy ass cracker' and that's excused??
Is there a double standard going on in the USA ...
White people say the 'n' word ... they are evil.
Black people say 'cracker' ... and that's okay.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
i am the root of all evil . I AM A HETERO WHITE MIDDLE CLASS MALE .ITS ALL MY FAULT , IM SORRY GAYS & BLACKS & LATINOS & BABY SEALS & THE ANY OTHER OFFENDED GROUP , but then again what would the world look like with out my kind

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by blackz28

that's a pretty egocentric statement.

If you look at the positive you gotta look at the negatives as well.

Atomic Bombs? less civil war? more native Americans? lol come on now.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by blackz28

that's a pretty egocentric statement.

If you look at the positive you gotta look at the negatives as well.

Atomic Bombs? less civil war?
lol come on now.

Atomic Bombs?

At Los Alamos and at the universities and research laboratories involved with the Manhattan Project, many white scientists witnessed for the first time black scientists joining their community in closer, more integral ways. Blacks who worked together with whites on the atomic bomb included physicists Edwin R. Russell and George W. Reed, as well as the chemists Moddie D. Taylor and the brothers William J. and Lawrence H. Knox. The eminent white physicist Arthur Holly Compton remarked that the bomb project was unique in bringing together "colored and white, Christian and Jew" for a common purpose.

www.math.buffalo.edu

more native Americans?

The main purpose behind forming the Buffalo Soldier regiments was to subdue wild, hostile, and supposedly "savage" Native Americans for the purpose of advancing the civilization of the Western world.

debate.uvm.edu

Just saying that everything isn't completely black and white in our history.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

My thoughts exactly, has anyone been put on trial for reverse racism?

We all say stupid things.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I think what she says and the way she talks is offensive, but do you think any of these hypocritical companies are above board, the executives and CEO's probably, lie cuss and rob and deceive the public ........................

lets investigate all the investigators too and all the talking heads, all the self righteous bigots

This is exactly why Someone once said you who are without sin cast the first stone

Paula Deen Dumped By Home Depot And Diabetes Drug Company ...

Novo Nordisk and Paula Deen have mutually agreed to suspend our patient education activities for now, while she takes time to focus her ...
Walmart Cuts Ties With Paula Deen

Paula Deen's public relations mess continues as Caesars, Wal-Mart ...

Wal-Mart, Caesars Entertainment Drop Paula Deen

All these companies are worried about is the almighty dollar, hypocrites extraordinaire.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Trayvon is dead.. dead men tell no tales so one can't prove if he said the word cracker to Zimmerman or not and did you check out DelMarvel's link multimedia.savannahnow.com... the N word while troublesome for her is the least of her problem she most likely could have survived that, but what she have is a Bubba problem if the accusations are true,and then again why are folks blaming black folks for her down fall, as far as I know no AA organization or VIPs called for her ouster and no black staff member sued her,the great majority of Tee Vee talk show host are white folks tripping over themselves about the issue.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Make no mistake, Paula Deen was fired over the whole n-word thing.

Yes, there seems to be ample evidence that she should be sued more for the constant harassment, but the knee-jerk response by her sponsors is all over the word, not the conditions in the suit. Is it wrong? Well, they have to protect their brand, and with her sponsorship, the association is there, regardless of the suit outcome.

why are folks blaming black folks for her down fall

Who is? I'd imagine white CEOs made the decision not to have her name associated with their products after this media taint.

All these companies are worried about is the almighty dollar, hypocrites extraordinaire.

How are they hypocrites? What company ISN'T worried about the almighty dollar? When a company has a spokesperson or product line with a celeb's name, it is because they purchased that celeb's fan appeal. When that shifts to a negative connotation, they are going to pull out, simple as that.

Of course there is a double standard. But, we made it that way. We honkey crackers never allowed those words to sting, so they don't. By crucifying everyone who ever utters the n word (and the very fact I can't even spell it out here), it simply gives more and more power to the word, when we should be stripping that power away instead. But no....we have to make a federal case out of it, somehow granting it insane power.

edit on 27-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

By crucifying everyone (that is white) who ever utters the n word (and the very fact I can't even spell it out here), it simply gives more and more power to the word, when we should be stripping that power away instead.

I fixed that for you.
Plenty of black people use the term without crucifixion.
I don't use it though.

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join