It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paula Deen uses the N-Word - gets sued - right or worng?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by bates

Originally posted by HairlessApe
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Policing language is just plain wrong, regardless of how hurtful the language is. It's one step down from thought policing. "Free" my ass, there's nothing free about having to worry about what words we choose to say. Sexual harassment is obviously unacceptable though.

You'd serve time in prison for using the N-word here in the UK, we've had some pretty high profile cases recently where people have been jailed for using it on twitter.

Also a woman was locked up for using it on a bus.

That's asinine.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Actually, it more than likely comes from the Latin word for black - niger. People probably didn't know how to pronounce it, thus the "N" word we know and love today.
edit on 6/24/2013 by suz62 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by suz62

Hmm, that is interesting... I wonder if "Negroid" was derived from that as well?

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Not on any level. I am not sure where babybunnies is from, but "hate speech" is not illegal. The "fire" in a crowded theater example is apples and oranges, so I am not sure where that came in..

Not only is the use of racial and ethnic slurs not illegal, one can say something like "All African -Americans or Jews or certain individuals (using whatever term you like) should have XYZ heinous thing done to them and here is their address." At least this was the status five years ago. In my experience someone even called a business and said "someone should burn your place down, ****** lovers" and posted online the address saying someone should burn it down. Nothing could be done and this was someone who was the target of a long term justice department and FBI investigation.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

It is also her right to hold dear and enjoy that culture, just as you do yours. If you want to misinterpret her intentions based on a word, that is also your right, but I would hope you would realize that others have the same right to despise your culture, and you by extension, if popular sentiment takes such a turn.

So, bad things from culture should be allowed? then why are Muslims are so demonized? some of the extremist are just following their culture? so wife beating or multiple wives should be not an issue. If you don't let them beat their wives, they will do it secretly, so we should openly let them do it.

Culture will conflict with law.

I would hope that few people are so damned dense to not see a world of difference between beating someone and using a distatseful word. The paper thin quality of the modern American's skin is a point of great concern to me. Any and every American has the freedom to be offended at anything they wish to find offensive, however NOBODY has the freedom from being offended. The offense lies within the eyes of the offended, not within the words of the offender.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by suz62

Hmm, that is interesting... I wonder if "Negroid" was derived from that as well?

TheRedneck

In Spanish, the word black is "negro".

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

They eat a lot of them . I worked on an ambulance in mostly black and Hispanic neighborhoods ,for 9 years.
They do not eat healthy at all ,and the over 40s almost all have cardiac issues,htn ,and diabetes .
One or all . The asthma is ramapant,for completely different reasons ,but nyc is the asthma capitol of the world .Soecifially the Bronx .
I can vouch for that first hand .

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by PtolemyII

They eat a lot of them . I worked on an ambulance in mostly black and Hispanic neighborhoods ,for 9 years.
They do not eat healthy at all ,and the over 40s almost all have cardiac issues,htn ,and diabetes .
One or all . The asthma is ramapant,for completely different reasons ,but nyc is the asthma capitol of the world .Soecifially the Bronx .
I can vouch for that first hand .

Yeah. The Bronx is pretty grimey. I can imagine there is no shortage of roach chitin and rodent particulates present to aid in the asthma.

Here is is caused by the mixture of the gasses in the oilfield mixed with the gasses from the stock animals. I can't recall what it is called, but in the early morning hours you can see a white haze from it settled over the city, getting thicker by the refinery.

No shortage of asthma in this area, with the oil industry mixed with the epic dust storms rolling in off the cotton fields to the north.

FWIW, i am a big fan of chicharron's.
I like those better than pork rinds because of that strip of fat on them.
edit on 24-6-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Wait, wait, wait... you have pork skins with fat on them? Oh, be still my heart taste buds!

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   

yeah, when my family landed in Texas, they certainly didn't do it under the cardiologists advice.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Paula Deen uses the N-Word - gets sued - right or worng?

Sued? No. That's not right.
Fired? Yes. That would be right.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by supremecommander

Originally posted by whyamIhere
I think if Ms. Jackson does not like the N-word.

Then she should not use it...

How do you know she uses it? Because she's black?

That's pretty stupid on your part...and um, you know.

No, I think you guys misunderstand. His comment was along the lines of "Don't like abortion? Then don't get one." IE: if something offends you, you are free not to engage in it but you shouldn't try to control others.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Didn't all this occur like 20 years ago? I couldn't see it in the article but I thought I heard on TV it was from 20 or so years ago. God I hope I can't be sued for stupid crap I said when I was 20 years old.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I thought The N word is Italian and simply means the color black.

I have relatives in the North and West, I have lived in six states.
I have lived half my life in the North and half in the deep South.
Each state in America is very different from the one next to it. The South is like being in
a different country on some days. They do have their opinions here.

Paula Deen has a right to say what she wants under the constitution. However it was rude. She did gracefully appologize. I was not worth firing her over a rude remark. It makes America really unproductive to fire people for their opinions.

We need to embrace each other and get along. Everyone should do their part to keep America beautiful and thriving. Getting along will always be a challenge for humans. Some people will do anything to get
out of being responsible and pulling their own weight and contributing to society. She has contributed
enormously to society and we should exhibit forgiveness and move on.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astrocyte

I'm in the middle of reading Catch 22. The word Nigger comes around again and again. I read a line to my brother, repeating the word: does that make me a racist?

Actually, to some people of the hysterical-politically-correct-looking-for-offense-anywhere bent who scream "racist" at every turn, you would be indeed a racist for reading that. Consider that Mark Twain's book "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" has been banned several times in various places through the years due to "racist" language.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
This lawsuit has little to do with the N Word, but much more to do with the alleged harassment and hostile work environment the plaintiff suffered at the hands of the defendants.

If true, there is a legitimate case here. the N Word is inconsequential.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

Yup, N-Word is just cherry on top for the case.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
The only reason the N word has power is because WE give it power by making it taboo....

We white honkey crackers learned long ago that if you simply don't let such words bother you, they will never have the power to do so. Collectively, and subconsciously, we whiteys somehow came to some unspoken agreement that such words would never have that kind of sting...so they don't. Simple as that.

I'm just going to spout off my favorite tidbit of advice....

GET OVER IT....

Seriously. And the N word is just ONE example. There are plenty more, whether they describe a person of a given religion, nationality, sexual persuasion, or even ideology.... If WE give them the power to shock and awe, then we have given that word its power. The only way to take that power away is to diminish it's power through usage or at least simply ignoring it vs. making it a federal case every time somebody famous says it.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I actually think a black person calling a white person cracker is actually stabbing themselves due to its actual meaning lol.
edit on 6/25/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

Due you think we should just called black people Ni**er from now on?
edit on 6/25/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by suz62

Actually, it more than likely comes from the Latin word for black - niger. People probably didn't know how to pronounce it, thus the "N" word we know and love today.
edit on 6/24/2013 by suz62 because: (no reason given)

Yes the etymology of the word goes back to Niger meaning the people of the river of that same name hence you get nations like Nigeria,Niger and an ancient tribe that raided the coast on horse back from the interior called the Nigeratae , Bernal thought it meant water that flows into sand, in West Semitic.,as these folks were black-skinned it became one of many color coded names for Black people.

Let me just say this the name has some famous historical figures attached to it in the Bible we have Simon Niger aka Simeon the Black ,book of Acts.
Then we have Pescennius Niger one of three Roman generals vying to become emperor of Rome he was definitely called the Black by his contemporaries
Historia Augusta
p431 The Life of Pescennius Niger

Now when the confusion in the state was at its height, inasmuch as it was made known that there were three several emperors, Septimius Severus, Pescennius Niger, and Clodius Albinus, the priest of the Delphic Apollo was asked which of them as emperor would prove of most profit to the state, whereupon, it is said, he gave voice to a Greek verse as follows: "Best is the Dark One, the African good, but the worst is the White One." p449 2 And in this response it was clearly understood that Niger was meant by the Dark One, Severus by the African, and Albinus by the White One. 3 Thereupon the curiosity of the questioners was aroused, and they asked who would really win the empire. To this the priest replied with further verses somewhat as follows: "Both of the Black and the White shall the life-blood be shed all untimely; Empire over the world shall be held by the native of Carthage.

Then there was Clitus Niger I have no idea if he was in fact black just that the name hinted at such a connection with the river, he was Alexander's general who goaded Alexander into killing him in a fit of rage causing Alexander to go into deep depression.

So yes there was a time when the word was ok and even hint at being noble but meaning changed over time like the now useful term Black which was in European language associated with darkness,evil danger,bad luck in some cases now adopted by...well most "Black" people as a symbol of pride and community it is a term in transition for the new term African American now seen as linking African and American cultural heritage and pride,something that a color coded word like Black lacked.
edit on 25-6-2013 by Spider879 because: Need fixing

edit on 25-6-2013 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join