It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paula Deen uses the N-Word - gets sued - right or worng?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Lisa Jackson, the former manager of a Savannah, Georgia, restaurant run by Deen and her brother Bubba Hiers.is suing the siblings for 1.2 million dollars.

Why? Jackson claims

Jackson alleges in the suit that Deen used the N-word at the restaurant and that Hiers sexually harassed her.

Deen is also accused of planning a slavery based themed wedding.

According to the reports, in the deposition, Deen replied “Yes, of course,” when asked if she used the N-word.

Deen also reportedly admitted telling racist jokes, explaining: “It’s just what they are — they’re jokes…most jokes are about Jewish people, rednecks, black folks…I can’t determine what offends another person.”

Jackson said also Deen wanted African-American employees to act like slaves for a big wedding she was planning. Deen explained she got the idea from a restaurant where "the whole entire waiter staff was middle-aged black men, and they had on beautiful white jackets with a black bow tie," the National Enquirer reports. The magazine also quoted Deen as saying: “I mean, it was really impressive. That restaurant represented a certain era in America…after the Civil War, during the Civil War, before the Civil War…It was not only black men, it was black women…I would say they were slaves.”

Her brother Bubba also admitted to referring to President Obama with the N-word, the report claims.

www.foxnews.com...

I don't think Jackson has a case against Deen, but only possibly a case against Bubba Hiers for sexual harassment.

It's Deens business. Jackson agreed to work there. If Jackson didn't like it, she could have left But.. apparently she worked there long enough to become Manager, so To me it seems she had to have been working there for a while. To me this is nothing more than a money grab by Jackson. ( except for possibly the sexual harassment)

Deen did Nothing wrong IMO. In my own place of business I can use the N-word all I want. That's legal. If the people didn't like the joke telling or the slavery themed wedding they did not have to take part, and could have simply quit.

Note, she did not use the N-word in public in a derogatory manner. She did not force anyone to take place in the themed wedding - perhaps she said to them, " well if you don't do your job then I'll fire you" - but I do not know if this is the case. Even if she did state something like that, the people could have simply quit - no one is alleging she forced anyone to do anything.

I applaud Deen for her standing up for her freedom of speech and her right to run her business the way she's sees fit.

Why do I take this stance? I'm sick of Political Correctness that is killing this country. I'm sick of people using minorities as weapons against free speech. On Deen's part, there was no harm via her actions that hurt anyone - if her actions had caused harm - that would be a different matter entirely. In that case I believe she should have to pay restitution.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I think if Ms. Jackson does not like the N-word.

Then she should not use it...

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
..something something the root of all evil

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere

where have you seen her use it?

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

Ms. Jackson is the one suing.

I hate bigots, but I don't control what others say.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

Ms. Jackson is the one suing.

I hate bigots, but I don't control what others say.

Hmmm, okay sure.

There is a bit of irony here, "I don't control what others say." Yet originally you posted "I think if Ms. Jackson does not like the N-word. Then she should not use it... "

Anyhoo, have good one.
-lys
edit on 21-6-2013 by Lysergic because:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
If it was just two people without a business relationship, I would say it's freedom of speech, but if Paula Deen employed a black person and called them a N-word, then I would say she's in trouble. But if she just used the word and someone was offended? That's too bad. It's not illegal to use the word. Just stupid.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I'm not a lawyer so am not sure on all the legalities but I do know there is such a thing as 'creating a hostile work environment.' Using the word itself would be covered under freedom of speech (but you can still sue for anything).

However, if it can be proven her behavior was 'creating a hostile work environment,' then there is a chance she could be held liable.

Even if she is found to not be liable, it's not exactly good business sense to be throwing the word around.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
If Deen called her the plaintiff an N-Bomb, that's different. I'd believe she'd be able to sue. But if not, this will probably be thrown out.

Freedom of speech is still freedom of speech, no matter what, but for anyone in this thread to think that running a place of business and openly telling racist jokes and using offensive slang terms is a good thing is pretty moronic.
edit on 21-6-2013 by supremecommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I think people should be polite to each other and not use offensive terms. It's just good manners and common sense, we'd get along a lot better if we weren't constantly getting at each others throats over careless use of language.

Having said that...ONE MILLION, TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS? That's madness.

"You offended me, so you owe me enough money to ensure me a comfortable existence for the REST OF MY LIFE!"

Unreal.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

How do you know she uses it? Because she's black?

That's pretty stupid on your part...and um, you know.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by UNIT76

Ignorance?

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Misleading thread title. Paula dean is not being sued for using the N-word.

From the actual text of the lawsuit:

Defendants have violated Ms. Jackson's rights under Georgia law to be free of sexual harassment in the workplace, to be free from assault, to be free from battery and to be free from the intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress, and other rights as set forth in more detail below.

Ms. Jackson was subjected to violent behavior by Bubba Hiers, violent behavior that included sexual harassment of Ms. Jackson and other female employees and assault and battery of Ms. Jackson. Mr. Hiers‘ violent behavior also included racial harassment, assault, battery and other humiliating conduct practiced upon the employees managed by Ms. Jackson. The conduct described herein is no mere offensive utterance; the conduct was threatening, even physically threatening, and universally humiliating. The staff of Uncle Bubba‘s Seafood and Oyster House, Inc. (“Uncle Bubba's restaurant") lived in fear of Bubba Hiers.

It also appears that Ms. Jackson made attempts to remedy the situation within the company, but got no resolution from her efforts:

For over five (5) years, Ms. Jackson made numerous and frequent complaints of racial and sexual harassment and abusive treatment to the highest levels of corporate management and ownership, including: Defendants Paula Deen and Bubba Hiers; Paula Deen Enterprises Chief Operation Officer (CO0) and Director of Operations Theresa Fueger; the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) for the Paula Deen Family of Companies, Karl Schumacher; and to the attorney for Defendants, James P. Gerard. The conduct was universally known and tolerated within the ownership and management levels of the corporate enterprise, and by corporate
counsel and no remedy was offered.

www.atlawblog.com...

OP, if you want to have an honest discussion about the lawsuit, then be honest in your presentation of the facts.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I thought paula deen said she wanted only black people to serve at her sons wedding because she wanted it to be like the old days..she wanted "tap dancing n@@@er's" like the old days. I think everything about this is in poor taste..but I don't think anyone is going to get any money from it. It sounds like paula deen is going to lose enough as it is. Food Network is backing away from her and her company.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I read this story yesterday somewhere else & it said that the plaintiff is WHITE!

"The deposition is a part of a lawsuit filed in Chatham County, GA by former employee Lisa T. Jackson. Jackson, who is white, filed the suit against Deen, her company Paula Deen Enterprises and her brother Earl "Bubba" Hiers in March 2012."

www.kltv.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Is it possible to sue Deen on grounds of being terminally thick?

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Paula Deen Fired from Food Network.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

link   
Do you have a right to free speech in the US or not?

How many rap lyrics use the same word and no one is offended or sues?

link   
Paula just got fired by the Food Network. It's astounding how utterly dumb (or is it arrogance?)people can be.

link   
And it also seems that the Food Network might not renew her contract when it expires. Stick a fork in her someone, I think that she's done.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Springer! Curses!
edit on 21-6-2013 by AngryCymraeg because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join