Ever meet anyone famous? Were they like what you expected?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Related to the late Jerry Garcia and he was quite normal. I met Andy MacDowell. She was smaller than she appears on television but also normal everyday person shopping for barbies for her kid. Have seen a few others in passing and realize that tv makes people seem bigger. For example Kid Rock is much shorter in person than I magined. TV does this with places too. Times Square isnt nearly as big as it looks on tv.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Tyra Banks and her (then?) boyfriend Chris Webber showed up at a thai restaurant I worked at. I was the server.

Well..... they were really nice and polite. They ordered a bottle of red I suggested ^_^ All I can say is I would expect tall but they were instead TALL

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

Gibby tried to get me and some buds thrown out of a Buttholes gig not so long back, we were mighty proud. It was a bloody messy night and we thoroughly deserved it.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Back in the seventies I met quite a few rock stars. They are people just like anyone else. A lot of really nice people, some had big heads and were too much into themselves. Sometimes they were just too exhausted to sepnd much time talking because of their grueling scheduals. It was fun and interesting. It was funny because sometimes they would look soooo much better in person and others didn't. LOL

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Well I may as well throw in my 2p's worth

Danced the night away and went on to a 'lock in after hours' at a club in Newcastle in 1978

with David Bowie...now that was a night to remember!!

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Some notable celebrities I have met; Danny Trejo, Norman Reedus, Sean Patrick Flannery, Bruce Campbell, Alex Winter, John Carpenter, Gary Busey, Malcom McDowell, Tony Todd, Lita Ford, Bill Mosley and a lot more I can't think of right now.

They were all really nice and down to earth except Gary Busey. He was a complete a$$. Malcolm McDowell was not very personable either.

Some standouts. Danny Trejo, Norman Reedus, Sean Patrick Flannery, and Bruce Campbell were super nice and very personable.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus

Originally posted by ganjoa
In 1979 I had business in NYC and stayed at the St. Regis Hotel - a guy in a trench coat, jeans and sneakers got into the elevator. I said "Man, you look just like Frank Zappa!" He replied, "That's because I am Frank Zappa". We shook hands and parted ways, but I'll never forget the encounter.

ganjoa

Lucky bugger you are... i would have struck up a conversation!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

That's what always bothered me. If I met a celebrity the only thing I'd know about him/her is from them being onstage or in a movie. This doesn't qualify as knowing anything about them, so I would have NO idea what to say to them.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yes, a few times, and no, they are nothing at all in real life like they are on TV...... except, I must say, Barack Obama. That's weird that he really is like that in real life.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I've met a few of them too... some nice, some not so nice.

I was a bartender at a place in Spokane, WA years and years back. John Travolta's mom lives in Idaho, across the state line and this place was their favorite restaurant to come to. Waited on them and really have only great things to say, pleasant and courteous.

Coolio was a bad one. When I was deployed to Kosovo about a decade ago, I had a friend in Skopje, Macedonia that owned a big summer time outdoor club. He flew Coolio over for a concert at his club, picked him up and drove him to Skopje. He was so trashed he didn't even make it to his own concert, and supposedly just left the country. My friend was pissed and says he never recovered the money he paid him for the concert.
Bummer.

Also met Dennis Farina and his wife and got my copy of Snatch autographed by him. They were very, very nice and pleasant.
Met Tom Green at the same event, but as I never really liked the guy I didn't hang around long.
edit on 22-6-2013 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Never met any "celebrities" but I got to meet Coretta Scott King twice in my life (a wonderful lady she was) for fundraising events I was involved in.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

I have an almost Jerry Garcia story. I was at a job interview just out of the USAF in 1995. It was July in Atlanta GA. I got put up in a hotel and drove down from NC. After the interview I went to the bar and got a beer to go. I noticed an inordinate amount of folks in tye dye t-shirts everywhere. There was a slightly overweight guy sitting on a bench waiting for a table and he looked just like Jerry Garcia. I said Hi, and he did the same, and I went up to my room. Later I found out the Dead were in town and that was Jerry Garcia. Hell, I could have gotten two beers and had one with him had I not been clueless. I have heard he was a nice guy to talk to.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I'm one or two degrees from Kevin Bacon!

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Well, I almost ran over Don Johnson and Mickey Rourke... actually bumped Mickey's leg, but they were jaywalking during a storm and it wasn't my fault. They were rather drunk and rude, but that was understandable.

I spent a weekend with Timothy Leary at his house... that was cool and about the only "famous person" meeting I cared about... and met all sorts of Hollywood wankers of the 90's there, which wasn't so cool.

I also sold drugs to Courtney Love... and had to cut her off...

And some music people from the 80's and 90's alt scene... and some politicians, ick... but the best one was my ex was throwing a party in NYC and it got sorta wild and it was 3 a.m. and some scroungy guy in a bathrobe knocked on the door and told her to keep it down and it was Iggy Pop. Heh.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I've run into Stephen Tyler a few times, and he is exactly how you would expect him to be. The first time was in the 90's, I was a teenager and it was after work after my first day of my first job. My Mom fell asleep and was late picking me up, so I was waiting outside the mall. He walked up to me and asked for directions to the new movie wing, and stopped to small talk with me while he waited for his wife (she was fiddling with something in their car). He seems like a genuinely nice guy, and was dressed in some crazy outfit with leggings with a matching hat. When he and his wife started towards the movies, he stopped, turned around, said it was nice to meet me, and shook my hand, which I thought was super nice, because I was just a kid.
The second time I saw him was in my 20's at a pharmacy, right before Christmas. My friend had burned her thumb pretty badly, and had a prescription for pain meds. He offered to autograph her prescription if she shared with him, haha. The third time was only like a month after that, at the 99, which is a chain restaurant. Apparently he's been there a few times. I like that he doesn't hide, and still is seen around the town he grew up in. I also met Joe Perry when I was a teen working at the mall food court, but he wasn't nearly as nice. It was a busy Sunday afternoon, and I think he was really annoyed that I recognized him, because he was there having lunch with his kid. I only asked for an autograph because I didn't get Stephen Tyler's, and it was the second celebrity I ran into in 6 months time- pretty impressive to a 16 year old! A lot of people around here have met members of Aerosmith, though.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Met all of these as a teen...many moons ago:

Gina Davis- byotch on wheels. Didn't want anyone to look at her or talk to her

Willie Nelson - dirtier and scruffier than you would imagine. Looks way older in person, and you could have gotten a contact high off of him.

David Carradine- miserable and drunk. Always.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Drew Barrymore hit on me at the Cat and the Fiddle in L.A. back in 2003. I was pretty flattered. We would have got together later on that evening after the club, but her bodyguard wouldn’t allow it. Darn it!

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Man my stories suck next to you guys. Just hockey players mostly

I wasn't even going to say it, but since you mentioned hockey players, I met Bobby Orr just after he retired. He was at the local mall signing autographs and taking pictures with people to benefit the Muscular Distrophy Association.

He was the nicest, most down-to-earth guy you can imagine. And I remember when I shook his hand, mine just disappeared into his.

I still have the 1973 hockey card he signed.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I forgot to mention that I met Catherine Bach at a sportsman show in Calgary.When the Dukes of Hazzard were peekin around the early eighties.She gave me a big hug
...I was only 12
..Met Gretzky a few months later when he oiled up...I thought to this day that he looked like lady die in drag

Sarn

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I have met a few celebs in the past. I never really thought about how many until I read this thread.

Denzel Washington - at my current job. (we are supposed to treat celebs like everyone else which I did). Had an issue with a technical device. I saw that I had an appointment with Denzel Washington. Which I took with a grain of salt. He was wearing a baseball cap kind of hiding himself. I went through the steps to get his replacement didn't mention who he was the entire time. Signed his name on the paperwork. I shook his hand and he walked away. As he did he turned back and looked at me and I said love your movies. He tipped his hat smiled, waved and left. Nice guy too.

Metallica - I interviewed before they were big back in my radio days. I have a blue vinyl record with their autograph on it. All were pretty down to earth. I met lots of rockers in that day.

Bruce Willis - at a strip club in my area. Trying to be discrete he had a hoody pulled over his head. One of the strippers realized who it was and he jumped up and stormed out with his two huge body guards.

Haseem Rachman - Former world Heavy weight champion. Did a photoshoot of his clothing line and shot the fight against Evander Holyfeild. the fight when Rachman got the huge goose egg on his head. The pics you saw on the were probably mine. He paid for airfare and food. But not the photog work I did. I held in my hands all three IBF WBO and IBO Belts in my hands.

Cal Ripken, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Billy Cundiffs wife. Joe Flacco, Terrell Suggs, Beyonce (I didn't meet but was in the store)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I haven't really been outside western PA, except for a few trips to Florida, so the people I run into are Pittsburgh sports people.
I've met Mario Lemieux many of times, at the golf course I work at they have the anniversary of the back to back Stanley cup golf putting there every year. I've made him food a couple of times. So I've also got to meet a few other penguins like miroslav satan, pascal dupuis, Dan bylsma, Phil bourque (he's an ass, my opinion). I've also met bob pompeani a few times, in high school I knew a girl who went to school with his daughter and went to a party or two at their house.

I remember my junior year in high school ( 2006-2007 ) bill Cower came to my high school, his alma mater (carlynton jr sr high school). It was awesome! He told us how the last memory he had in the cafeteria (he talked to us during our Thursday night meal in the cafeteria) that a bunch of students went streaking outside of the windows on the last day of school hahaha. He was such a motivor to us, such a powerful speaker and positive guy. I got to shake his hand and we all had some questions for him. This was not ordinary, I don't think he has done it before or since that time. And yes we beat sto-rox the next day in a great comeback victory.
When hurricane Ivan hit the area our football team went out and helped dig people out of the flood and rebuild. Our area got hit the worst and was known on the national level. Our town is only 10,000 or less, and became obliterated overnight. Well for our efforts, and to gain money, we went to a steeler game vs the bangles and collected money at the gates, and we got to watch the game on the field! That was quiet the experience.
When the steelers won the Super Bowl I was on my way to the parade crossing the Duquesne bridge on the walkway and I literally bumped into a guy. Soon as I went to call him a jag off, being the only guy walkin the other way, he turned and around and who would have guess... It was Lynn Swann! He simply put his finger up to his lips and went ssshhhhh. Popped his collar to hide his face and disappeared into the crowd. I kept my mouth shut, that man would have been crushed if every yinzer on the bridge would they know Lynn Swann was right there.

I met Jerome Bettis at dicks a few times, he's a nice guy.

When my mother was pregnant with me she met motley crew and they signed her belly
wished her all the luck with me haha

Lastly

This is a story my dad told me.
When he was a kid bill mazeroski was his favorite baseball player. And he would wait after the games to meet the pirates and get stuff signed and what not. Well my dad wasn't the nicest kid growing up and my grandfather wasn't the nicest guy in town either, so over time my grandfather has burned, thrown away, or ripped up all of his memorabilia (sport or music wise) Well my dad was working at the original fish market some time later and would go over to the north shore to get a drink after work. Well one day he's in this place and he sees this old guy drinkin at the bar by himself. He almost spit his beer out, it's bill mazeroski! So he walks over and says, " hey, I don't want to bug you but I just wanted to say you're my favorite baseball player ever, and I just wanted to say hi." Next thing you know my dads kickin back drinkin a few beers with him.

new topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join