It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human organs ‘could be grown in animals [pigs] within a year’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Human organs ‘could be grown in animals within a year’: Japan researchers

life.nationalpost.com...

TOKYO — Japanese scientists are expecting to be granted approval to grow human organs in animals and then harvest them for transplant within the next year.

Scientists plan to introduce a human stem cell into the embryo of an animal — most likely a pig — to create what is termed a “chimeric embryo” that can be implanted into an animal’s womb.

When the adult animal is slaughtered, the organ will then be harvested and transplanted into a human
That will then grow into a perfect human organ, a kidney or even a heart, as the host animal matures.

When the adult creature is slaughtered, the organ will then be harvested and transplanted into a human with a malfunctioning organ.

Eventually, he hopes to be able to have numerous human organs within each donor animal that can be harvested all at the same time.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
That is great news for people who may need an organ transplant

Second line

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
When I first read this I thought this was a controversial topic as it relates to slaughtering animals to get out a 'human' organ.

Now I have no problem with this as long as the animal [pig] is going to the meat market when slaughtered. If not, I would be against this practice of harvesting organs from animals and then dumping them.

I think this specialized technique will be great for patients waiting for organ transplants, but I am still skeptic how the human body will cope with the new tissue.

At the end of the day, people may be saved, and above all, companies involved are going to be making some pretty big bucks.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Religion is inherently ironic but this is a new thread.
Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs (who did I miss) will decline the medical treatment based on this technology. Right?

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by InverseLookingGlass

Religion is inherently ironic but this is a new thread.
Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs (who did I miss) will decline the medical treatment based on this technology. Right?

People who are religiously hardcore will most likely decline this practice. However, to many religious people who live in Canada will most likely accept this practice. At the end of the day, people want to live so they may inherently want to accept this new medical procedure.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Thanks for posting this wonderful news. This will save a lot of lives.

This part is for all those hard-line religious zealots that will refuse to use such medical breakthroughs:

Good for you! Don't let the door hit your bum on your way out!

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I had afriend tell me about so,ething along these lines yeaterday and thought no way we (human science) near the tek lv needed for this.
So using human DNA and adding that to a animal seams like a good idea to you hu?
Forget Juassic park heres come the island Of Doctor Moreau.
Yea great idea . Planet of the apes probly not planet of the pigs now that has potential

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
They can also print organs with those 3D printers.
Wonder why they aren't doing this??
The upside to printing organs would be no rejection, because they would use cells from the patient's body to create the new organ.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
The upside to printing organs would be no rejection, because they would use cells from the patient's body to create the new organ.

What makes you the expert on this subject matter to state the body won't reject the printed organ?

Where is your bread and butter evidence to support such a claim?

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

Originally posted by JayinAR

What makes you the expert on this subject matter to state the body won't reject the printed organ?

Where is your bread and butter evidence to support such a claim?

The first human organ transplant using the patient's stem cells to grow the organ was performed in 2008.

Stem cells: Wikipedia
If you don't like the wiki reference, do a Google search, it is old news.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Precisely. You know, it amazes me we aren't pursuing this.

I mean, don't get me wrong, this thread here is great news, but I have SEEN doctors grow a perfectly healthy heart valve in a Petri dish. We can EASILY print these organs in the exact same way. So what's the rub??

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
They have been growing human cells in mice for some time now. It is all just a series of steps working up to the planned harvest of matched human organs grown in a surrogate animal. The pigs are chosen to do the 'grunt work' (sorry couldn't help myself) because their organ sizes are quite similar to humans.

It is only a matter of time until printers are utilized, at least to print the substrates that the stem cells will grow on.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
There's already a thread about this,where people misunderstood what was being conveyed ,and said the Japanese were monsters for doing it.
I'm goi.g to post this thread on that one ,for clarification

new topics

top topics

join