Ancient Mayan City Discovered in Mexican Jungle

page: 1
35
<<   2 >>

log in

join
+13 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Did a search and didn't find this.



Pyramidal structures, palace remains, ballgame courts, plazas and sculpted monuments have been uncovered in the Mexican jungle, revealing one the largest sites in the Central Maya Lowlands.

Named Chactún, meaning “Red Stone” or “Great Stone,” the previously unknown Mayan city covers more than 54 acres in the southeastern state of Campeche.

PHOTOS: See Images of the Recovered Mayan City

According to Mexico’s National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH), its vast size suggests the city was a seat of government between 600 and 900 A.D.




Wow....what an exciting discovery! I would love the opportunity to explore a place like this!

I can't post the photos from my iPad, but if you visit this link, you can see the pics.

Enjoy!
edit on Sun Jun 23 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Starting a New Thread?...Look Here FirstAboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sitesplease post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item, as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.
edit on Sun Jun 23 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: external quote trimmed IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS




posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl
 


I just read this on Google news and was gonna bring it to ATS.... Nice find! It's amazing that we keep finding more and more of civilizations ancient past. I wonder what treasure troves will be found at this site. I hope that one day we find a site that is not pilaged and plundered already. Probably a long shot but one that's worth dreaming about for me



posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   










Hope those are the ones you were talking about.
edit on 21-6-2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I really love this stuff. The best option we have at figuring out our past.
They really likes stone back in the old times. Someone or something must have taught them to use stone and leave the trees alone.



posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl
 


What a great find! Not for the first time, it makes me wonder something too.... If our satellites are sensitive enough and designed to find an enemy bunker buried and meant to be hidden? What might they find if directed at totally empty jungles and sands with the sole intent of finding un-natural formations and shapes from the distant past? I wonder....how much would be uncovered in a shockingly short period of time by that kind of survey. I'll bet it would be like Space became after Hubble got in position to take the first true, deep look at things.



posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl
 


This is a very interesting find. Thanks for posting the link and quote. I suspect there will be many more discoveries as they keep digging and using the latest and yet to be applied new technologies and techniques.

S & F



posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by smyleegrl
 


What a great find! Not for the first time, it makes me wonder something too.... If our satellites are sensitive enough and designed to find an enemy bunker buried and meant to be hidden? What might they find if directed at totally empty jungles and sands with the sole intent of finding un-natural formations and shapes from the distant past? I wonder....how much would be uncovered in a shockingly short period of time by that kind of survey. I'll bet it would be like Space became after Hubble got in position to take the first true, deep look at things.


What makes you think governments haven't? They know wat they're hiding.

Whatever happened to that joint venture between the Mexican government and some documentary makers?

See: paradigmrevolutions.ning.com...



posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Great find. Don't have time to examine completely right now, but posting so I can keep an eye on it.

S&F



posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta






Hope those are the ones you were talking about.
edit on 21-6-2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)


These do not describe this quote from the original article:


They found a site rich with buildings, plazas and pyramidal structures, with the tallest one measuring more than 75 feet.


Failed on the photos my friend
edit on 21-6-2013 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Awesome find OP. I love this stuff and pictures are amazing.
Tagging it so I can read. Thoroughly later.



posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011
 


They are the ones from the article......where is your contribution?



posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
reply to post by Skywatcher2011
 


They are the ones from the article......where is your contribution?


I'm sorry, but I am not on a vacation trip to the Mexican jungle at the moment. If I were, I may have some better pictures for your pleasure viewing my little muchacho friend


Edit:
Try this link for all published images of the site (so far)
Link to Site Pictures
edit on 21-6-2013 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011
 


so why do you have to be so belittling, talking like that serves to make people feel like ship about them selves and makes people doubt themselves also.

Im not grumpy and i didn't fail, i re posted what was in the article.

The writer of the article failed to prove his claims......he/she is the one that failed.



posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
reply to post by Skywatcher2011
 


so why do you have to be so belittling, talking like that serves to make people feel like ship about them selves and makes people doubt themselves also.

Im not grumpy and i didn't fail, i re posted what was in the article.

The writer of the article failed to prove his claims......he/she is the one that failed.


So you tell me something about contributing? You just regurgitated crap from the article rather than adding something new to the discussion.

Belittling? C'mon mate...just pointing out facts and the facts don't line up with the pictures



posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011
 


Actually, to an archeologist, just one of those rock carvings would be priceless....



posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011
 


I was just posting it for smylee and the benefit of her thread.

Saying i failed on the pictures, when they are the ones from the OP is childish.



posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
reply to post by Skywatcher2011
 


I was just posting it for smylee and the benefit of her thread.

Saying i failed on the pictures, when they are the ones from the OP is childish.




Yeah, the difference is those pictures came from the article that was cited already and anyone can view the pictures....you didn't add anything new to the thread except for pictures that lazy people like myself demand to see in threads without viewing the article. I could have done the same, but I do appreciate your effort in doing something than nothing.

My point is based on those pictures do not really add a huge impact to what the article describes...just some cookie crumbs to fill in the void. Maybe the best pictures are kept secret in case there was something important the funding authority didn't want the general public to know about. Just my two cents.



posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
reply to post by Skywatcher2011
 


Actually, to an archeologist, just one of those rock carvings would be priceless....



Bingo

Like the world needs another critic.


smyleegrl



posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I've always been fascinated by this type of stuff. I look at jungles and think, "Imagine what could be hidden under all that". I believe there is much more to find.





new topics
top topics
 
35
<<   2 >>

log in

join