It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calgarians, Sound Off! (2013 Flood)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Everybody safe out there? I actually live outside of town, but stayed in town last night to avoid morning traffic resulting from the flooding. Seeing the list of road and bridge closures, I wasn't sure if I'd make it to work today, but here we are.

Deerfoot Trail at 6 AM was mostly clear, though in retrospect I should not have taken that if I was "avoiding low-lying areas". There are spots where the river is nearly at Deerfoot Level (by the weir), and definitely a lot of looky-loos causing traffic stupidity in that area. Definitely do avoid downtown if that is your normal area... I passed through last night on my way from work, and saw the Bow River just a couple of feet shy of Memorial Drive (and those are pretty high banks!). I heard on the radio that the river was expected to rise another 6 - 8 feet, and based on what I saw in other areas, I would not doubt that it happened.

I am somewhat concerned as when I passed the water treatment plant, it was almost completely submerged.

But mostly, I wanted to make sure that everyone out there is safe, and has a place to be. Let us know you're there, wherever there is!

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by CrikeyMagnet

I lived in High River in the 70's...freaks me out to watch!

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by CrikeyMagnet

The City of Calgary has evacuated areas close to the river and continues to. The Glenmore Dam is expected to crest this morning.

I live three blocks from an evacuation zone in the Beltline. I work on a job site across the river in Kensington. The power is shut off there today as it is in the Hillhurst evacuation zone and so no work until further notice. I also am starting a job bartending at a local restaurant which is also currently in an evacuation zone. It may be interesting paying the rent this month.

I live on the 6th floor but if the power and sewer were turned off I can't say if I would be inclined to leave or not. I have pets and a truck to get somewhere if I had to, providing there were still bridges for me to leave where I live, which is very close to downtown and the evacuation zone.

This is the City's site that I have been following. www.calgarycitynews.com...

I can't help but wonder if the water table in this province has been severely compromised. There is flooding all over Alberta, and notably here which is the highest elevation point of the Trans Canada Highway (just outside of Calgary, which baffles me as to how bad the situation must be underground for it to flood here), but not just here...Saskatchewan, Manitoba, North Dakota...I saw a link a few years ago about a great North American Flood that would reshape the continent but can't seem to find it now.

Interestingly, we are in a peak solar cycle, today is summer solstice, and there is a supermoon over the next two days.

I heard sirens all night and I pray for everyone's safety everywhere.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
My aunt and maternal grandma live in Calgary, and somewhat close to the river (near the Calgary Zoo, for auntie).

I do hope that they are all right, we haven't had a response yet from my aunt, so we are hoping she is ok and is evacuated and safe.

My thoughts go out to those who may be trapped in all of this.

Edit: I also have many cousins and second cousins there, so I also hope they are Ok too.
edit on 21-6-2013 by VoidFire because: relatives

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
It's wild here.....never seen the reservoir this high...just heard on the news that water is starting to flow onto the deerfoot.....wild!!....it's supposed to rain until Wednesday too......worse still to come I think

Stay safe!!

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Important to note: If you, or any of your acquaintances or family are freaking out, rushing to the stores and pushing down people to get the last box of beefaroni... seriously, calm down.

We've had some people leaving work to calm the significant others... and really, if you're out of the water, just stay home and stay safe. The real idiots are showing their colours now, and it's usually best to stay out of their way. I'm considering picking up my daughter and heading home right away, in case Chestermere is tricky... or more roads get closed... or, say for example, Deerfoot Trail has water flowing on it. You know... like it does.

If you have to travel, check the maps for closures first, because there are a lot.

new topics

top topics

join