It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Mount St. Helens Lava Dome Has Grown 330 Feet And Its Glowing Red.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   
The lava dome of Mount St. Helens has grown 330 feet, and as temperatures have spiked to nearly 1,300 degrees, a red glow can be seen on the exposed rock face. The volcano has been rumbling and releasing steam since late September. According to some Geologists, all this activity points to an explosive eruption, but noone believes the explosion will be as intense as the 1980 eruption which killed 57 people.

www.cnn.com
Although the USGS cautioned Saturday that the eruption could become more intense, Scott said scientists tend to discount the possibility of an explosion.

"We had some of those small explosions early on," he said, and several emissions of steam and ash Friday, which discolored the snow lying on the mountain.

But "this lava seems to be moving out fairly freely," he said. "The system isn't pressurized."

Scientists, however, are keeping a close eye on the conditions, he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Althou some Geologists seem to discount the possibility of an eruption the lava extrusion is now "about 900 feet long and 250 wide," which is a considerable growth.

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
www.fs.fed.us

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
SCI/TECH: Volcanos Acting Up

[edit on 7-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
(New Update)

The current status is Volcano Advisory Alert Level: 2. (out of three, this is the second highest)

Growth of the new lava dome inside the crater of Mount St. Helens continues, and is accompanied by intermittent emissions of steam and ash. As long as this eruption is in progress, episodic changes in the level of activity can occur over days, weeks, or even months. Increase in the intensity of eruption could occur suddenly or with very little warning and may include explosive events that produce hazardous conditions within several miles of the volcano. Small lahars (volcanic debris flows) could suddenly descend the Toutle River valley if triggered by heavy rain or by interaction of hot rocks with snow or glacier ice. These lahars pose a negligible hazard below the Sediment Retention Structure (SRS) but could pose a hazard to people along the river channel upstream of the SRS. At this time of year, it is not unusual for rivers draining the volcano to contain high concentrations of sediment that turn the water murky.

Excerpted from.
vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...

Let's hope that if there is an eruption it really won't be as bad as that of the 1980s.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I have a native american indian friend who is part of the Hopi tribe. apparently his elders have passed down a prophesy for over 300 years about mount St Helens erupting being a signal for an even greater cataclsym at Mt Ranier, which would be the first in a series of events that they say will tear a great rip through the americas and possibly beyond. I normally dont pay much attention to such things, but I have an open mind so when Raniers lil sister speaks, I think any1 near ranier should re-access their living situation. Im not a scare monger, just sharing the information im presented with.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Given the recent activity of Rainier, that prediction just may be balls on accurate....

For those who don't know, this mountain is pretty much right near the entire Seattle metro area....so an eruption there would be a MAJOR catastrophic event.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
What activity has been going on at Ranier? Do you know where I can look to find out more about that?
My little brother just moved to Renton and keeps mentioning how his window looks at Mt. Ranier but never mentioned anything, so I should guess it's more seismic activity, right?

Edit: will keep watching that site mentioned above
Scary enough I had a dream when he moved out there that I went to visit and a volcano was erupting near by, enough we had to flee the area as people were being killed by debris and lava flow. At the time, knowing nothing about that area of the country, I didn't even know there were volcanos by Seattle... I brushed it off as a myself being scared of him being far away... I suppose I'll let you guys know if I do decide to visit.

Originally posted by Gazrok
Given the recent activity of Rainier, that prediction just may be balls on accurate....

For those who don't know, this mountain is pretty much right near the entire Seattle metro area....so an eruption there would be a MAJOR catastrophic event.

[edit on 12-11-2004 by blanketgirl]

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I have found the best info on recent quake activity at these site at the USGA website and at another conspiracy site name Surftheapocalypse, where you can read a more detailed synopsis of these phrophesies as my friend WhiteHorserider post there.
There has been the largest quake in at least 30 years at Mag 3.2, 1km underneath Ranier in the past week and more ominous sign form quakes and volcanoes around the owrld,check out the pacific ring of fire volcanoes and earthquakes in the region as all these things are linked.....mother natur is about to kick our assess methinks:> Hope that helps

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I used to visit Seattle alot on business...beautiful views of the mountain.
As the above poster mentioned, there has been increasing seismic activity with Rainier as well. This started about the same time as it did with Mt. St. Helens, prior to the recent eruption.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
(New Update)

Mount St. Helens' new lava dome is starting to push its increasing weight around, even beginning to shift its older and larger cousin a few centimeters a day across the inside of the crater.

The current eruption is adding lava to the inside of the crater faster than previous dome-building periods lasting at least a few weeks that occurred between 1980 and 1986. Geologists currently consider the new growth a separate dome but later might describe it as a lobe to the older dome, depending on the growth pattern, Willie Scott, a geologist with the U.S. Geological Survey's Cascades Volcano Observatory in Vancouver, said Thursday .

The new dome is now taller than the original bulge but still about a quarter to a third of its size. Earlier size estimates for the new dome included the glacial ice cap above it, but much of that has melted off. The dome is still growing by several meters each day, Scott said.

Excerpted from.
www.tdn.com...

According to estimates if the volcano continues at this rate in about 11.5 years it will replace all the rock blasted away in the last explosion, something that had taken 100 years to form the older dome in the 15th and 16th century before it exploded in 1980.

Willie Scott, a geologist with the U.S. Geological Survey's Cascades Volcano Observatory in Vancouver also said that things could change real quickly, and this is why they are watching this closely.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
my dad works for the USGS and i asked him about the Mount. and he got reel nervis

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   
...the Ring of Fy-errr, the Ring of Fire.

Interesting times ahead, to be sure.

We'll be seeing a great deal of increased volcanic activity all around the Pacific. I'm not sure why, but I'm pretty sure it's a-comin'.

new topics

top topics

join