It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMO Sugar Beets Destroyed in Oregon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Somebody (or bodies) destroyed Roundup Ready sugar beets in southern Oregon

And the FBI is on the case. Good, it's about time they go after the real criminals.

FBI Press Release

Over the course of two nights in early June, an unknown person or group of people did significant damage to two plots of land used to grow genetically engineered sugar beets in Jackson County, Oregon. The plots are on private farmland leased and managed by Syngenta.

The group Oregonians for Food and Shelter (ofsonline.org...) is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to the identification, arrest, and conviction of the person and people involved. OFS will evaluate any reward claims and will make the final decision on dispersal of funds.

This was from a comment below the article -

The "community group" offering a reward - Oregonians for Food and Shelter - is staffed by lobbyists registered with the state of Oregon and is funded by corporate chemical conglomerates.

How Monsanto sugar beets were forced on us -

In 2010, a federal judge revoked USDA approval of the seeds in response to a lawsuit filed by the Center for Food Safety because full environmental impact statements for the seeds were not provided.

The problem with the judge’s order, however, was that Monsanto had so successfully crowded out sugar beet seed competitors that once he ruled the beets “illegal” it quickly became clear that there were no conventional sugar beet seeds to be found. So America faced the prospect of total Armageddon the zombie apocalypse cats and dogs sleeping together a 20 percent reduction in that year’s sugar crop. In response — and in defiance of the federal judge’s order — the USDA allowed farmers to plant GM sugar beets anyway.

The USDA, in defiance of a Judge's order - out of control alphabet agencies again. Of course, they're headed by Monsanto cronies.

The environmental review puts a high priority on the absence of alternative seeds and the potential disruption to sugar supplies

grist.org...

So, create a crisis which only you - the mega corporation - are able to fix. How convenient.

I really hope they don't catch the perpetrators because the punishment will most likely be outrageous - you don't mess with these guys. Kind of like the penalties given to the banks who perpetrated our financial Armageddon....oh wait. nvm.

Go, you rebel Oregonians!
edit on 20-6-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Good for the ...cleaners. I would have said "arsonist," but hey- they're doing their neighborhood farmers a favor.

Syngenta...Sin...gente (man) Sin of man... sinning man? I'm no xtian or anything, I'm just in a philosophical mood tonight. When something is really a "sin," we can all get behind it- xtian or atheist, in my opinion. It's a good word for its intent.

So if I do that- Monsanto...Mon- man- saint...ugh. There is some arrogance. At least Syngenta had the sense to (inadvertantly) name itself correctly.

Btw: my house mate was given a packet of "edamame" (soy bean) seeds free of charge. "edamme Besweet 2001 Glycine max" I can't seem to find whether they're GMO or not...but it wouldn't surprise me if these corporations were handing out free packets of their poison beans for anyone to plant any where.

I've been drinking a little but I think some of you can see where my ramblings are headed.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
*applause*
Burn them all !
I wont even give gmo garbage to my animals .

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Hushabye

Good for the ...cleaners. I would have said "arsonist," but hey- they're doing their neighborhood farmers a favor.

Yes they are, but the big bad boys in black see it very differently. So sad what we have come to.

I've been drinking a little but I think some of you can see where my ramblings are headed.

LOL. Yes, I can read tipsyeeze.. Been known to speak it as well.
edit on 20-6-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Whoever they are, they are indeed heroes. Let's see more gmo crops being destroyed, burn the feilds.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
That is what needs to be done. Burn the fields!!
If we don't stop them now 5yrs from now it will be all we can buy.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by PLUMBER1

If we don't stop them now 5yrs from now it will be all we can buy.

The people are trying, but they are so powerful and entrenched in the power structure. Little by little though people are waking up to the issue. Just have to keep up the pressure and publicity.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

In 2010, a federal judge revoked USDA approval of the seeds in response to a lawsuit filed by the Center for Food Safety because full environmental impact statements for the seeds were not provided.
No. The judge did not "revoke USDA approval", he issued a preliminary injunction. In his decision the judge said:

He added that despite efforts to prevent contamination or cross-pollination of crops, there was no guarantee that the GMO crops would not affect other plants.

He said there have been examples of contamination and that "these incidents are too numerous for this court to declare confidently that these permits provide sufficient containment to protect the environment."

phys.org...

So, if there were no non-GMO sugar beets, what other plants were supposed to be cross-pollinated? Barley? Do you think the judge had that little of an understanding of biology?

and in defiance of the federal judge’s order — the USDA allowed farmers to plant GM sugar beets anyway.

False. The USDA did no such thing. The Federal District Court of Appeals overturned White's injunction because it had no basis.

On February 25, 2011, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals overturned the injunction. The Appeals Court said plaintiffs failed to show that the stecklings, being grown under permits from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), “present a possibility, much less a likelihood, of genetic contamination or other irreparable harm.”

After the permits expired, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California dismissed the case as moot. The plaintiffs appealed and the case returned to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.

www.sugarindustrybiotechcouncil.org...

As for the pointless vandalism... I hope they get caught.

edit on 6/21/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for pointing out the apparent misinformation in the article I linked, but, the site you link to looks to be Monsanto sponsored, so I guess we'll have to find a more neutral source.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Will this do?
cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov...

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Maybe. I'll get back to you in a few years - after I get my law degree.

top topics

join