It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Project Identification: Ufology's Red-Headed Stepchild

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

It would be interesting if this book you mention were in print and not out of print and only available for about 33 FRN in paper form. I would like to read this as it would add to my research. No chance that I would pay that much for some old out of print book just to satisfy my curiosity. Perhaps the author will release it in eBook format for free since it is not in print any longer. It would add to the collective awareness of the solar system's intelligences.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
The thought hits me that since the book is out of print and somewhat hard to come by, if there might not be a PDF copy of Project Identification available anywhere, ahem.

Mmm. If someone gets permission from the copyright holder, I'll put a scan of the book online.

I don't know whether the publisher or the family now holds the copyright.

I can't imagine that it will be republished commercially so, as with a few other UFO books, it seems a shame that it isn't available openly online.

I don't know who to ask for permission to make the book available on a free storage website (e.g. www.box.com or www.minus.com) or, for that matter, on my own website (but this latter option may smack of seeking to benefit from someone else's work, hence I generally go straight to asking for permission to make material available on a free file storage website).

An obituary for Harley Rutledge published in July 2006 referred to him being survived by his wife, Ruth, and five children:

www.semissourian.com...

In 1980 he published "Project Identification," which took a scientific approach to cataloguing UFO activity.

Dr. Harley Rutledge, 80, former chairman of the physics department at Southeast Missouri State University and UFO expert, died Monday at the Missouri Veterans Home.
During the past three years Rutledge had been suffering from Alzheimers. He is survived by his wife, Ruth. They were married for 52 years and have five children.

I think the book was published by Prentice-Hall in 1981.

I don't think I've previously given more than a passing thought to getting permission to make available out-of-print UFO books that were previously published commercially but are (presumably) very unlikely to be made available commercially in the future.

Who would hold the copyright?

If it's the publisher, would the publisher be likely to agree to make the book available if (as I assume is the case here) it is very improbable that the book will be republished commercially by that publisher?

Perhaps if someone in the author's family indicated that the family would like to see the book made freely available on a free file storage website, this may have some sway with the publisher?

Now that you've got me thinking about it, the general principles and practices in relation to the copyrights in old UFO books may be worth a separate thread. I'll start one in a moment.

Edit: Done - Out-of-print UFO books and copyright?

edit on 19-7-2013 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Great recent article from Scott Browne

Dr. Harley Rutledge - A UFO Blueprint to Follow.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Curious to me is that whole area of Missouri around the Ozark Mountains is riddled with caves and is also near a very massive fault (New Madrid) which was responsible for one of North America's biggest earthquakes in the last few centuries.

I wonder if there might be some kind of phenomenon happening there like what is going on in Hessdalen, Norway. Magnetic and mental interference from swirling magma beneath the crust. Or something.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT
What do we make of this?! In which direction does this rather astounding claim take us in relation to his Project Identification work?? To loonville or Keel? And if more towards Keel, then away from nuts & bolts?

It sounds a lot more like what happens when a person starts paying attention to "coincidences," or like when people find themselves noticing digital clocks when all the numbers are the same, or when a theme or a name or something else starts popping up with strange regularity.

I think it has more to do with our brains starting to "tune in" to the way it processes information, so it starts paying more attention to repeated things that might be part of a pattern. This is sometimes associated with an increase in dopamine. Maybe the little glowing lights were happening all the time, but they were just ignored (placed in a lower level of perception) until they started studying them and becoming more aware of them.

So my guess would be semi-physical / semi-psychological. When you get into these areas, the lines between imagination/ perception/ interpretation start to get very blurry.

posted on Apr, 10 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: IsaacKoi
Mmm. If someone gets permission from the copyright holder, I'll put a scan of the book online.

It's online in several places, even for free (with sign-up).
www.scribd.com...

edit on 10-4-2017 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

Wanted an excuse to bump this thread mate so here's another lesser known UFO study from 1952.

Project A: The Short Life of a UFO Study

There has not been enough sightings for proper analysis," Dr. Hickman asserts. However, he reports about 20 percent of the sightings reported to the university "cannot be explained away by ordinary procedure." And these unexplained phenomena have a general consistency— "a saucer-shaped object, flat on the bottom with rounded edges and rising to a slight dome on top." The color in these sightings is similar, all bright blue or green. Dr. Hickman also finds significance in that similar objects have been sighted throughout the nation, Canada and the world.

Historians trace the appearance of strange sky objects to 1762, Dr. Hickman says, with the first report in this country in 1873. But the rash of reports did not break out until the American people became "sky minded."

link

originally posted by: Lowneck

If Ed Condon had not committed his foul deeds, both McDonald and Rutledge would now be regarded as heroes of twentieth century science.

Foul deeds indeed mate and I guess if you wanted to elect a scientific discipline to study the UFO phenomenon then 'atmospherical physics' would be a good choice - perhaps that's why astronomer (and NSA spook) Donald Menzel disliked Dr James McDonald so much.

Vid

posted on Mar, 19 2023 @ 02:06 PM
link   
New three part series from Dr. CS Matthews on Rutledge's classic book.

This first blog is an overview of Project Identification, a brief bio of Harley Rutledge and some of the simple observations that got him started. Part 2 will cover the first phase of Project Identification and Part 3 will summarize phases 2 and 3 of Project Identification, including Rutledge’s closing thoughts on the matter

Part 1 / 2 / 3

edit on 19-3-2023 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2023 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: karl 12

Wow, thanks, can't wait to dig in.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join