It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The M320 40mm Grenade Launcher-A Review

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Neocrusader

The kits come with Bushnell laser range fingers.
Pretty useful if you have a spotted. Otherwise its just faster to eyeball it and let the round go.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Ahhh, thats okay. I like being teased by weapons. I found some video on it. Thanks for bringing it. The problem I have always had with a "dual purpose" firearm is that it does neither well. No matter how small they make it, you still have to sling and unsling either to do a job that should be dedicated.

Firing the main rifle... looks away from target to retrieve a 40 Mike Mike, opens breach, inserts and chambers round, opens sight, re acquires target, aligns sight and shoots. Repeat.

Single shot, bulky, dual sight, wasting time, IMHO.

A squad should have a dedicated grenade launcher at the ready just like it has a squad automatic. Look at the Russian RPG. Thats as dedicated as it gets. Always up and ready for the slightest.

Full time ready support instead of the switcheroo between barrels. Any way..

Heres one of it mounted. What a bulky, front heavy, looking thing. Same distracting, time consuming switch between caliber and rounds.

And in an actual firefight... sorta lobbing them out there, somewhere, anywhere...

"Way short dude."

"Was that you?"

"That was me."

The 40 MM in Vietnam was a beginning but since then it hasn't matured much. One shot break open.

I kind of liked the five shot rotary grenade launcher... what happened to that? Every squad should have one (or an RPG).

It was featured in "Predator".

There was another unique variant from South Africa(?) I believe it had a five shot capacity with a magazine that could be topped off at any time (like a shotgun). You just pushed the rounds in the side of the magazine well. Whatever happened to that one?

ETA: Oh, and the Chinese version of squad support...

35 mm, 1000 meter, portable grenade launcher

edit on 21-6-2013 by intrptr because: additional...

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I always liked the China Lake Pump-Action Grenade Launcher.
It was one of the best ever made
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
For anyone curious, they can be purchased by collectors with the appropriate licensing and tax stamps directly from HK. Only problem is you have to buy them in bulk orders in increments of 10. So to get one you currently have to buy 10, 20, 30 so on. Guess I need to find 8 or 9 more licensed collectors who are interested in one if I want to get one. Either that or make a deal with a local dealer to bulk order some so I can snag one.
edit on 6/21/2013 by EViLKoNCEPTz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
The grenade launcher in "Predator" was fictional. It was created as a prop specifically for the movie. But it was based on the Hawk MM-1 Grenade Launcher which holds 12 40mm grenades.

When I got to try out a M320 grenade launcher, I ultimately was not a fan. I prefer the M203.
The M320 is well built and fires well. But the problem I had is that I am left-handed. So it made reloading awkward for me.

The model I was using did have an ambidextrous release to open it up. But it only opens to one side, whereas the M203 just slides open and can be loaded from either side.

Given a choice, I would take an M203 over the M320 unless they make a version that can be configured to open on the other side to fit each individual user.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

One of the things I really liked about the M320 was the double action trigger. Which means if you have a misfire you can simply pull the trigger again. No need to cycle the breech to reset the firing pin. Much safer.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

The problem with having a dedicated grenadier is that they aren't much use for the majority of firefights. The grenade launcher isn't used as much as you might think as it can cause unwanted collateral damage. This leaves a soldier redundant in the section. They tried it in Vietnam which led to the requirement for the m203. With a co mounted system the grenadier can act as a rifleman as well.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by allenidaho

One of the things I really liked about the M320 was the double action trigger. Which means if you have a misfire you can simply pull the trigger again. No need to cycle the breech to reset the firing pin. Much safer.

Much yes, very dangerous "cook off" .

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by PaddyInf

The problem with having a dedicated grenadier is that they aren't much use for the majority of firefights.
I see your point. It made me think that from our perspective we don't need a dedicated anti tank component as much as the "other side" does, simply because American soldiers are unlikely to encounter armor in their line of work in the Middle East. The lighter 40 MM grenade launcher is sufficient for the task at hand.

On the other hand, every element of the opposition is likely to encounter armor much more frequently. The new RPG 29 works real good as evidenced in this bit from Syria. What dedication.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Wow,what an improvement.

I was not a fan of the M203.

That said, nothing takes the stress out of a long day like some time on a Mark 19.

"Sergeant, roaring "Get some! Get some!" while firing this weapon is inappropriate"

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by roguetechie

In case they dont want to.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
i love # that goes boom. and i think that anything heckler & koch make is the best. but am i the only one that thinks the older M203 GL looks more attractive? i really like the new model but i like the older one better.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

wow that was a direct hit. who trained this guy? you could not have hit that tank any better. its ammunition exploded that could not have been that guy's first time firing RPG's.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by theman1111

There is some contention about how that specific tank blew up. (But) the RpG 29 uses a newer approach to armor penetration. It has a dual or tandem shape charged warhead. One two punch.

I didn't see any reactive armor on those tanks so I don't know how well it would work against that. Heres a review of the tandem warhead principle in the RPG 30...

RPG 30

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I'm an expert I KEPT my quad sight.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I want one for Christmas .....!

Please Santa been a real good boy (well maybe not that good!)

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   

projectvxn
All in all it is a pretty impressive weapon. I'm sure my fellow enthusiasts will agree.

A new wombat gun! Looks nice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join