It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alberta Flooding 2013

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

The City of Calgary has issued mandatory evacuation orders for 10 communities after massive flooding in the city and across southern Alberta. The communities of Mission, Elbow Park, Stanley Park, Roxboro, Rideau, Discovery Ridge, Victoria Park, Erlton, Cliff Bungalow and parts of Inglewood have been or are being evacuated.

www.cbc.ca...

10 Calgary neighbourhoods evacuated
8 southern Alberta communities under mandatory evacuation orders
12 southern Alberta communities in a state of emergency

Ive been to Bragg creek a few times crazy stuff! Apparently a few *edit one person* people are missing,
medicinehatnews.com...

Officials with the City of Calgary said as many as 100,000 people could be forced from their homes due to heavy flooding, an evacuation that would take place in stages over the next few days. "I woke up at about three o'clock in morning to the sound of this kind of rumbling and it was the creek," said Wade Graham, a resident of the mountain town of Canmore, west of Calgary. "At first it was just intense, pretty powerful, amazing thing to watch. As daylight came, it just got bigger and bigger and wider and wider, and it's still getting bigger and bigger and wider and wider. "All you can hear is like boulders and trees. I watched a refrigerator go by, I watched a shed go by, I watched couches go by. It's insane."

www.winnipegfreepress.com...
edit on 20-6-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I am following this on The Weather Network right now, its pretty nuts; with more rain to come before it pewters off. Its been a rainy June in Alberta this year, that's for sure.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Hi, I am new here. Is there a way to bump this thread to the (real time) new topics main page or do they just work by stars & flags? Hope everybody stays safe up there..and hello everybody.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by whatshannenin

Main pagers are stickied by massive response. Welcome to ATS
ya hope everyone there stays safe

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Hope you people will be all right.
Just wanted to add that there are floodings in several parts of the world...Central Europe, France, India..with the same violent water movements...
Whose prediction was that again?

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I'm surprised this didn't get more attention, at least from the Canadians on the board. Reports of 100,000 under evacuation orders now...

Astounding.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Major highway knocked out, water isn't supposed to go down till Sat.

The RCMP put out a call for help to the Canadian Armed Forces, which sent in two helicopters and a Hercules aircraft to help extract people stranded by water. Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued a statement saying the federal government would offer “any and all possible assistance to the Province of Alberta in response to the situation
edit on 21-6-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

I've been watching all the reports and am stunned by how quickly and violently this all came about. My heart goes out to all affected by this and what they have to go back to when this begins to settle. No doubt that few Albertans got any sleep last night. Thoughts and prayers and much love to all, including those in Europe and southeast Asia.

Just to let ATS members know, this is one massive crisis. The Bow River is running at 1500 cubic meters per second. The Elbow River is running at 2200 cm/sec. Holy cow, I think the normal is 280/second.

There are one or two people known to be missing. There are a few towns completely cut off from the outside as roads on either side of town have been destroyed or littered with debris from slides such as Kananaskis and Canmore. The Canmore hotel is an evacuation center but it has 3" of water on the first floor.

There appear to be plans to evacuate the Canmore hospital, and that cannot be an enviable situation.

I've seen people being evacuated by boat, helicopter, grain combines and any other way possible.

The Armed Forces are helping out as are Edmonton Police being mobilized further south.

Some bridges have been washed out. Alberta's emergency services seem well organized and efficient and it's impressive really to see the coordination taking place.

If you are about to be evacuated, they are advising you to

• Bring all medications
  • Bring your pets
  • Bring clothes for a week as well as what food you can bring

edit on 21-6-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
It seems that 100,000 people have now been evacuated....

cbc news links to alberta floods

Flooding is expected in the town of Lethbridge and moving up the S. Saskatchewan River to Medicine Hat....

ATSers....is there a world flood watch 2013 topic here? Could not find one and there has been much flooding in many areas especially Europe this year....

Would be interesting to have an interactive flood map...anyone?

Just wanted to say that us Canadians are well prepared, crafty and tough.....just gimme a canoe and a case of Labatt's and all is well..

edit on 21-6-2013 by krazykanuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
I'm surprised this didn't get more attention, at least from the Canadians on the board. Reports of 100,000 under evacuation orders now...

Astounding.

This is because Canadians are used to dealing with adversity...it is in our blood...even many city dwellers can handle shiz...Hurricanes / earthquakes in Vancouver, Ice storms in Quebec ...Floods on the Prairies....just part of life here.....this is why we are as obsessed about checking the weather forecast as we are about watching hockey!!

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Woke up this morning with a call from my fiance who lives in Calgary along with a good chunk of his extended family to reassure me that they are out of harm's way. He works for the CRA in Calgary and stated that over half of the workers called in sick due to being impacted by the floods. Hell of a thing. I'm in the Pac NW/US and we'd been noting that Calgary had been seeming to get our weather here so I'm really concerned that this is due to the whacked out jet stream.

Trying not to freak out over here. Not working really.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Stay safe and try to keep positive.Hopefully people will stay away from the rivers and avoid the free swimming lessons that mother nature has so graciously provided.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Mandatory evacuation orders were extended late last night. They now cover the following parts of the city:

Beltline
Bonnybrook
Bowness
Bridgeland
Chinatown/Eau Claire
Cliff Bungalow
Deer Run
Discovery Ridge
Douglasdale
Downtown/East Village
Elbow Park
Erlton
Inglewood
Hillhurst
Mission
Montgomery
Quarry Park
Rideau
Riverbend
Riverdale
Roxboro
Stanley Park/Elboya
Sunnyside
Victoria Park
Westmount/West Hillhurst
Windsor Park

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Update: still raining something fierce in Calgary. Apparently, windshield wipers couldn't keep up.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Well, our office is closing for the day. I thought of leaving early so I could find a bridge across the river that is still open, but those don't exist. I'll just stay at a friend's house tonight, then work it out tomorrow. My Daughter is in the North, and I'm in the South. That means she gets to sleep over at grandma's house tonight!

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Just saw this contrast come through on twitter. That's the Enmax power station downtown in the background.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Update through news tickers:

4 reported dead

Saddledome is flooded to tenth row seats
Calgary Flames locker rooms inundated, memorabilia lost

According to several reports, the water is up to the 10th row of seats in the NHL arena while the dressing rooms are completely submerged and the Jumbotron and other equipment resting on the arena floor has been ruined.

www.tsn.ca...

-and the rain keeps falling..

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

CALGARY, Alberta (AP) — Flooding forced the western Canadian city of Calgary to order the evacuation of its entire downtown Friday, as the waters reached the 10th row of the city's hockey arena.

The city said the home rink of the National Hockey League's Calgary Flames flooded and the water inside was 10 rows deep. Source

Flood Slide Show

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I am about 70 miles south of Calgary and I guess I got real lucky. My basement just flooded and the hail took out 2 of our jeeps and the new truck. Nowhere near what some people had to endure. They had to open up the oldman dam (situated of course on the oldman river) because of rising water levels. The oldman river went from an average june flow of 45 cubic meters/second to 3800. To put things in perspective, there are 35 cubic feet per second in one cubic meter per second. So that is 135,000 cubic feet per second ripping down the normally lazy river. To get even a better idea, there are 7.4 gallons of water in 1 cubic foot. Another quick calculation (7.4 * 135000) tells us that there are approximately 1 million gallons per second flowing down a small river that historically sees a june average of under 12,000

and keep in mind this is 70 miles south of where the real storm hit. She was a monster.
edit on 21-6-2013 by bronco73 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join