It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Rod for the Disobedient" - Wife Beating in Islam

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake

Originally posted by intrepid
This must be a young crowd. We are only about 60 years removed from when giving your wife a bearing wasn't even cause for the cops to show up. But they're Muslim so why let a thing like facts get in the way of a good hating?

It's called progress mate!

Something these dudes sadly lack IMHO.

Really? Seeing as Christianity predate Islam by centuries and we just stopped beating our women 60 years ago I'd say that our progress was might slow in comparison.

link   

Originally posted by Credenceskynyrd

This must be a young crowd. We are only about 60 years removed from when giving your wife a bearing wasn't even cause for the cops to show up. But they're Muslim so why let a thing like facts get in the way of a good hating?

what "fact"- what do you want them to do, hop in a time machine?

If you took the time to, oh, I don't know, THINK, it would have been obvious. We're trashing these people for what we did not 3 generations ago. Hypocrisy. Did that spell it out enough?

who is a hypocrite- I am not a wife beater from the 1930s, so speak for yourself

link   

It's called progress mate!

Something these dudes sadly lack IMHO.

Really? Seeing as Christianity predate Islam by centuries and we just stopped beating our women 60 years ago I'd say that our progress was might slow in comparison.

show me Christian church calls for wife beating from 60 years ago

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Just like many American's spank their children.

Grown men 'spanking' grown women with a rod ... that's disgusting. For men to treat women this way is demeaning and infuriating. It's a control method for men to keep women subservient. Call it beating .. call it spanking ... whatever people call it ... it's awful.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

If you took the time to, oh, I don't know, THINK, it would have been obvious. We're trashing these people for what we did not 3 generations ago. Hypocrisy. Did that spell it out enough?

who is a hypocrite- I am not a wife beater from the 1930s, so speak for yourself

YOU don't have to be. Just acknowledge that we DID do this. Or not. It's easier to hate other that way when you gloss over your own past.
edit on 21-6-2013 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
One of these days Alice, one of these days.....

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

"Really? Seeing as Christianity predate Islam by centuries and we just stopped beating our women 60 years ago I'd say that our progress was might slow in comparison."

Listen mate you don't need to convince me as to the evils of organised religion! Granted it has taken far too long for our western cultures to learn right from wrong.

Fact, hitting any family member with a stick in this day of age is a criminal act, don't matter how you try and slice it!

edit on 21-6-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

"Really? Seeing as Christianity predate Islam by centuries and we just stopped beating our women 60 years ago I'd say that our progress was might slow in comparison."

Listen mate you don't need to convince me as to the evils of organised religion! Granted it has taken far too long for our western cultures to learn right from wrong.

Fact, hitting any family member with a stick in this day of age is a criminal act, don't matter how you try and slice it!

edit on 21-6-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

It is a criminal act in your world. In another part of the world it is culture.

But of course you are god.. right...

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

You think you're allowed to spank a woman and treat them as if they're under your control.

You're NOT!

Even children, but adults, that is physical assault and even if she is having affairs, you can't touch her.

If I was around a man like that, I'd be looking for my soul mate ASAP myself.

In our society, we just round up his stuff, put it on the steps and lock the door. Phone the police if he tries to break in, after he touches you.
edit on 21-6-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

"It is a criminal act in your world. In another part of the world it is culture."

I should have said should be considered a criminal act I suppose.

"But of course you are god.. right..."

What's God got to do with it? Does he beat his Mrs with a stick? LoL

Im not God, but my dear mother did teach me never hit a lady! Then again since Women are considered to be nothing more than chattel in this particular culture I guess that makes it ok?

Maybe someone should phone the Saudi RSPCA!

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

Physical violence is not ok.

Defending yourself is.

Hope that clears the whole thing up.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

Thank you for your post, and your work is exceptional. You are a wonderful example to others, and so many women need to heal from the deep scars of physical and emotional abuse and trauma.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

it wasn't as big of a thing in america as it is in islam (not to mention its role in islam from the very start that still continues to this day). in america, it was still wrong and illegal, but with islam it is more than permitted, it is encouraged.

comparing the two is erroneous.
edit on 21-6-2013 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by magma
reply to post by andy06shake

Physical violence is not ok.

Defending yourself is.

Hope that clears the whole thing up.

I couldn't agree more!

However no real Man requires a stick to defend himself against a lady. LoL

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

YOU don't have to be. Just acknowledge that we DID do this. Or not. It's easier to hate other that way when you gloss over your own past.

stop sidetracking things with this relativist stuff

- who has denied wives were beat 60 years ago?!?
- did the Christian Churches instruct people to do it 60 years ago?!

- none of this is related to Islam now, which is what we are talking about

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

It is a criminal act in your world. In another part of the world it is culture. But of course you are god.. right...

ahh, the old "cultural relativity" spiel. in short, it doesn't fly because it holds that two mutually exclusive ideas both be true. for example, what if one culture believes that it is their right to rape, pillage, and kill all other cultures into submissiveness because they are superior? would you see them coming for your women and say "meh, it's their culture, so it's fine"?

there is a difference between a criminal act (law) and an immoral act (morality). beating women might be legal in some countries, but it is not moral anywhere.

link   

stop sidetracking things with this relativist stuff

- who has denied wives were beat 60 years ago?!?
- did the Christian Churches instruct people to do it 60 years ago?!

- none of this is related to Islam now, which is what we are talking about

Sidetracking? What? Someone mentioned what Mohammed said centuries ago and I brought up something from a few decades ago. I guess my quote there make perfect sense.

link   

I interpreted that to touch something and was holding back from posting about it. That earth has many different grades of students. The more fundamental, unable to think for themselves and less able to see through the systems and only take what is positive and even see metaphorical gems in some of the scriptures and even clues to what earth was set up as. For example that passage about women being prisoners (with the men) seems to imply that they're saying we're prisoners who are in a tough boot camp school run by ETs......There are clues in all the scriptures of every religion, including the Vedas.

Only following orders and fundamentalism is not a higher grade. Those doing these things are kiddies still.
edit on 21-6-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This has to be some bad comedy subtitles or sketch.....it can't be real! *Lifts jaw up from floor*

'We have no deaths from husbands beating wives' (Yeah right)
'If we do its very few, and the newspapers talk about it alot' (so the only statistic's he researched were the USA's)
'Every 12 seconds a woman is beaten to death by her husband' (so he didn't even get the figures right! its about 3 women per day)

strange.......

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
back on track- can any followers of Islam tell us why they think these guys are wrong?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join