It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zimmerman Trial set for Monday start. Interesting Jury make-up?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Well what are the odds of this? 100% of the Zimmerman jury is female. Specifically, 6 women with 5 being white. (6 Jurors?? Thats a new one on me, but learn something everyday I guess). Here is the story. Interesting to say the least.

Two of the jurors recently moved to the area — one from Iowa and one from Chicago — and two are involved with rescuing animals as their hobbies.

One juror had a prior arrest, but she said it was disposed of and she thought she was treated fairly. Two jurors have guns in their homes. All of their names have been kept confidential and the panel will be sequestered for the trial.

Opening statements are scheduled for Monday.

On the Jury of 6....

Prosecutors and defense attorneys chose the panel of six jurors after almost two weeks of jury selection. In Florida, 12 jurors are required only for criminal trials involving capital cases, when the death penalty is being considered.

If convicted, Zimmerman could face a potential life sentence.
Source

Well, an odd case all around will have no less odd of a Jury to hear and decide it, by the sound of things. Who would have thought? The overall make-up should be something for discussion around the country though. I sure hadn't expected the jury to be all of any one thing, let alone gender and almost all white to boot. Hmmm.....

Is it fair? Coincidence? Something funny going on? I just don't know, personally. We'll all be hearing about it near constantly, starting Monday. I'm guessing this will knock most other things off the headlines until the closing arguments at least and likely to verdict. Thoughts? Impressions?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
My thoughts are that any way this all plays out, people are going to bitch about the jurors saying that the were picked in favor of GZ.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
My thoughts are that any way this all plays out, people are going to bitch about the jurors saying that the were picked in favor of GZ.

Seems to me that women, especial mothers, would favor TM. Hopefully they will just use the evidence or lack there of.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Good point.

What I'd give to be a fly on the wall during the trial...

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Yeah, I didn't get picked unfortunately. I would have loved to be on that trial. He would have walked, of course.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I'm not sure I'd count on that. My wife is very law and order minded and a regular CCW carrier herself. That kind of assumption is what I think may make this trial outcome an open question right to the end. It only takes one to hang the jury and that's the worst outcome, IMO.

Convict or Acquit, but whatever they do...please don't HANG. No resolution with Zimmerman walking out? Oh..that would be much worse than a flat, open acquittal.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
How the heck is a jury of all women considered to be a jury of one's peers?

Funny how some people get picked all the time for jury duty, while others never get picked.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I'm not sure I'd count on that

That's true of course. Just going on averages. I read some where that two jurors have guns in there houses.

The defense lawyer is OK with it so we will see. He believes the state doesn't have evidence for a conviction.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Martin supporters will complain because the jury is mostly white. Zimmerman supporters will complain because the jury is all women who (for the most part) would feel protective of a 17 year old.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I think many white women are afraid of thuggish black males. That could work in Zimmerman's favor I suppose. Does the jury have a range of charges they can pick and choose depending on what they think is appropriate? If so, I could see GZ being convicted of some lesser charge. In my opinion, he defended himself legally according to Florida law.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

I'm not sure I'd count on that. My wife is very law and order minded and a regular CCW carrier herself. That kind of assumption is what I think may make this trial outcome an open question right to the end. It only takes one to hang the jury and that's the worst outcome, IMO.

Convict or Acquit, but whatever they do...please don't HANG. No resolution with Zimmerman walking out? Oh..that would be much worse than a flat, open acquittal.

What does being a CCW holder mean about anything? I have my CCW and I believe Zimmerman was in the wrong. This is based on the available evidence.

You cannot start a confrontation and then defend yourself with a firearm and still claim it was self defense. Self defense is null and void when you are the aggressor. All of the evidence points to Zimmerman having been the aggressor. Zimmerman is guilty. Anyone who actually paid attention to the relevant laws when they obtained their CCW knows this.

All the defense has to do is show that Zimmerman was the aggressor and Martin, even if he did throw the first punch, had a valid reason to fear for his physical well being or life. If the defense can demonstrate this, that means that MARTIN was within his rights under Florida's Stand Your Ground law.

Just because you carry doesn't mean you don't have common sense. Zimmerman should have never been made out as this "conservative" hero because he makes those of us that use our brains look bad. This case is cut and dry, Zimmerman will be found guilty in any reasonable court.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I'm know some people have this trial already done, over and run to verdict before it's even started. However, my point wasn't that CCW makes someone predisposed to one side or the other. Quite the opposite. The fact women carry weapons too and also are, at times, very law and order minded means gender for stacking a Jury is a bad bad tactic to use. It's hoping for a Mother's sympathy when quite the opposite may well come to happen and it only takes 1. Just 1 and the verdict isn't clear. He walks without a clearance or conviction to settle it, either direction. The worst outcome we could see, as I noted above.

As far as assuming guilt or innocence? I've maintained from the start this needed to go to trial. The facts NONE of us can fully know or understand by simply watching the media's depiction of this will come out at trial and then we'll see the system work the case. We'll see if he's guilty or innocent by more than mere personal opinions....which is where this matters. In the Jury box and as it happens now, with 6 Florida residents who happen to be an all female jury.

Should be interesting to watch, to be sure.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Perhaps I misunderstood - it seems in some of your earlier posts you were very supportive of Zimmerman.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

In months gone by and last year? Yeah. I've tended to lean toward his being clear. Although as time has gone on? I've also kept an open mind on this. Did he actually break off following and get attacked or did he pursue and corner to provoke an attack? I don't know for sure. If the former, then he wasn't the aggressor and Stand Your Ground applies...whatever he may have been up to before that. If the latter? He played cop when he wasn't one, gave every CCW in the nation a black eye by his actions and in the process, a kid got killed.

To me, it all comes down to that one question. Did he pursue right into the confrontation or was he in the process of breaking off and Trayvon decided it wasn't going to go quite that easy? That's what we can't know by the bias media that has, in all fairness, reported the extremes to both sides....as if to start discontent and enjoy the show and ratings they got from it. Now? We're days away from hearing these people under Oath. I can be patient.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I feel a bunch of book deals in the waiting. Let Z go and be done with it. Probably Christmas time before the mistrial is announced. another year or two at least

new topics

top topics

join