It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is almost certainly not for you. It will probably do you no good at all.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by Rodinus

Dear Rodinus,

Thanks for the slap. It's all very well to have the undying admiration of hundreds of lust-crazed female ATS members, but sometimes you have to get back with the guys for a real grounding.

What I worry about but more so for society, is the pressure put on people to conform. Gone are the days when a person could say what they wanted, and the only community comment would be "Don't mind him, he's a bit eccentric." And with that understanding, life would go on quite peacefully.

With respect,
Charles1952

Hope the slap didn't hurt too much with all that sunburn, taking into consideration that it is the first day of Summer over here in Europe?

I know what you mean and feel deeply for you when you talk about those lust crazed female members of ATS... *sighs*
... Bring it on ladies... *wink wink nudge nudge*... with the exception of Granny of course!... but then again... bwahahahaaaa.. *ducks as Mrs R throws a rolling pin at me*...

Although i do not have the gift of wording threads as you do.. *my tin hat is taken off to you dear sir*.. i say Beau locks to them all (luckily i live in France and can normally get away with that (Frenglish) word in the T and Cs!).. In France we would say "Mes Couilles!"

If it wasn't for us "eccentrics" so they say... just imagine the world without us?

Edit to add : Erm... hundreds of lust crazed females?... What AM i doing wrong?

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 21-6-2013 by Rodinus because: Phrase added as 100s of lust crazed females are not hounding me... sniff sniff...

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by nake13

Dear nake13,

(Is it all right if I mention that I'm envious of the people living in the Isles?)

Thanks for your kind words. I'm afraid I wasn't very subtle, but with the "too long, didn't read" limit imposed, and the frustration which sometimes pops up for me, I might have been a bit too blunt. ATS is an interesting place.

Sometimes I wish the deer were different, but no doubt they feel the same about me.

Anyway, thanks again, and enjoy the sunny skies of tropical Scotland.

With respect,
Charles1952

I don't think that you would be too envious as we are now entering another abysmal subarctic summer, I must admit to casting envious glances toward those living in Los Angeles and Miami.
edit on 21-6-2013 by nake13 because: .

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
How's it going Charles?

I'm sure you think of me as one of the deer. I guess it's all relative, because for me, it's just the opposite. The deer represent the status quo. The deer tell me, "can't we just keep doing things the way we have always done them?" Deer are creatures of habit, and they don't like disruptions to their daily activities.

My mom has always told me this story about when she was a girl growing up in a small west Texas town during the 1940s. Her family and everyone in her community had a certain "attitude" towards minorities. No one she knew ever physically harmed a black or Hispanic person, but the attitude was one of general superiority. It was just the way of things, and no one questioned it. My mom said that she always had this little nagging feeling that this attitude was wrong, but didn't want to rock the boat, so she always kept silent. Plus, she thought it was possible she was wrong, because everyone else around her had this same attitude. Why shouldn't she?

Then as a young adult in the 1960s, she heard a speech by Martin Luther King, Jr. It really touched a chord in her. She started doing research, and reading up on King, and what he was trying to accomplish. She became aware of a whole movement that really resonated with her. She felt vindicated! She had been right all along! She hasn't been silent since, and sometimes to the consternation of her older family members.

Now, my mom would say that her family was her deer. In this case, the deer didn't represent new ideas, but old ones. Could Martin Luther King and his movement be considered the deer to my mom's family? You bet. It's all relative.

Take care Charles

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
s&f

2nd line.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Incredible and thought provoking.

Off to think, ponder, and question the nature of existence.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Gives Rodinus "The Look" before taking up cast iron skillet to assist Mrs. R!

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
What an interesting story.

Is there beauty in diversity, or efficiency in conformation?

In the end, perhaps even they, the walkers of seemingly different paths, are all walking on the same grounds.

I think both the two leggers and four leggers have the same goal of preserving the habitat. Perhaps though, when we walk out of the park, never to think of it again, that all the issues still exist. Much like that rock in your shoe that you may have missed until you got home, where it proceeded to get caught in your toes.

Oh deer, what have we gotten ourselves into?

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Dear kaylaluv,

Even though I have to disagree with you on occasion, I like your ideas and your passion. I think I'm going to have to disagree with you again, though.

Of course, everyone is free to interpret my tale in any way, but I didn't intend for you to see yourself as a deer. It was not intended as an indictment of new or old ideas, but a criticism of how individuals accept ideas, and express and defend them in the community.

It takes a few things, in my opinion, to be a deer.

First, one must have a stronly held opinion on a subject, a certainty that one is correct. The certainty aspect is key. Once one admits that it is a good idea to listen to the opposition, because one's own case may be fatally flawed, one loses citizenship in the country of deer.

Second, the strongly held idea must have arisen through uncritical acceptance of the opinion of others. It will be an idea which the holder did not formulate on his own through much thought and research, but just plucked from the air and accepted. Ideas based on the concepts of "Fairness," "Rights," and "Equality" are usually, but not always, examples of this. Also in this category are ideas about situations in distant lands with which one has no real knowledge, except a few articles and their friends' comments.

Third, the deer will believe that those with a differing opinion are not just making errors in logic, or missing key facts. The deer will believe, and proclaim, that the other side is evil, mentally challenged, bigoted, or is suffering from some other character flaw. They are therefore, to be considered as slightly less than human and can be treated without decency and with any tactic to insure their defeat. Taking this position, by itself, is almost certain to complete the transformation to deerhood.

Do you still think you're a deer? There are many on ATS who are.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   

I shall continue seeking in the mists of the surrounding deer. I shall continue exploring the questions that fuel my desire for true knowledge. I shall learn from the deer so that I may in turn run past the man who slapped me on the back so that I may learn from him. As for the girl who expends waves of encouragement from a distance, well one day I would like to join her and wave at the other wandering souls. The truth is not something you will find out there, it is merely a journey that leads you to find something within. For just as an atom plays a role role in the bigger picture from all angles, so does the man seeking within the deer.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Nicely written and far more enjoyable to read than my rants.
It was not meant for me, but I saw your vision clearly. Thanks for sharing it.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   

S&F !

Usually I'm too tired to enjoy long-ish threads, so I don't even try to read. This held my attention all the way through.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

This may be off subject. So I am sorry. I couldn't resist reading because you told me it wasn't for me. Yes I just behaved like my toddler. You say no and I say hmmmm yup I'm doing it. I loved this post. It meant a lot to me for the reason that I feel that everyday your decisions are made for you. To me the deer were everyday demons that haunt us and tell us what we know isn't right and only their way is. I am sorry it wasn't the response you were looking for most likely but I just wanted to say you still hit people with the story on any level of life they are in. Good story. In a way you started it like Edgar Allen Poe. I loved it.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
This is going to sound mushy and over-emotional, but, basically, tough. After all, it's my rant.

The responses in this thread have made be joyful and proud of you. I'm not thinking any more about what was in the OP, but I see normal people (well, mostly normal
) who have found something that they can identify with, and which has some meaning for them.

I can't put it into words, but I feel a little like a fan whose team has just won the championship. You are the team and you've won a great victory. You've looked at yourselves, all anger and fighting has been put aside, and communication has been made, if only briefly.

I am truly honored by your responses and am grateful for them.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Yay Team ATS!!!

Just think Charles, the next time you walk through that field you will be accompanied by a battalion, and they will all be armed with deer repellant!!! Though sometimes they are the louder group I have a sneaking suspicion that we may in fact out number the deer!

......gives Charles a virtual High Five!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join