It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is almost certainly not for you. It will probably do you no good at all.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Really, you probably shouldn't be reading this. I'm pretty much certain that it's not for you.

A metaphoric exploration of imminent demise, with digressions to the borders of Melancholia and the Slough of Despond.

It was a pleasant day, and I was walking through some grass and wildflowers along one of many paths. I heard a noise behind me and to my left, when I turned to look, I saw nothing but a young deer. For some reason, I wasn't astonished or afraid at this unusual behavior. It saw me watching it, and it came even closer.

"Hi." it said "Mind if I walk along?"

How could I refuse? It seemed harmless.

"Sure, it's a beautiful day, and company is always welcome. Forgive me for asking, but I'm not used to seeing talikng deer."

"Oh, I'm not really a deer, I'm a person just like you. The four legs, tail, leaf eating? That's just how you perceive me. In the same way, you perceive it's a beautiful day but it's really not, we're in a thunderstorm. And even if we're not in a thunderstorm, you're concept of beauty is so warped by your upbringing that your opinion is valuless. Besides, I'm not really here anyway, you just think you hear me. By the way, my name's John."

"What in the world are you talking about?" I was stunned. "Of course you're there, and you're a deer, and the sun is shining, I'm dry and comfortable. I'm talking to a deer in the middle of a field on a beautiful day."

"Sorry, you're wrong, you just have to wake up. I don't mean you're in a dream. You just haven't received full visualization of the meaning of the Eternal Cycles of the Cosmos and the energy created by your physical existence in this plane of reality."

I noticed that a fairly large number of deer had come up behind John and they echoed his speech, word for word.

"But that's senseless." I accused. "I know what reality and truth mean. It's been discussed for thousands of years and well established." While I felt secure in my beliefs, confusion was starting to nibble at my thoughts. Was it possible that somewhere in the words of John there was something that held some meaning?

"You're wrong!" Shouted the deer as one. "There are new theories, new thoughts, there are even some wise men who agree with us. If you hold onto the old views you will suffer endless torment in the next life (if there is one) and we will constantly harrass you and call you names in this life until you see the beauty and correctness of our thoughts."

"Dont you see?" They continued. "The safest path for you is to forget everything you've ever known, toss out all of your beliefs. Then, when you're empty, we'll tell you what is beautiful, and just, fair, and right. That way you can be accepted as one of us and live a happy life."

"But, but, how do you deer know what is fair and right and beautiful? Who told you?" Despite John's assurance that I wasn't dreaming, this was feeling more like a dream, a nightmare, with every exchange.

"Oh, that's simple, we know. We were taught what was fair, and it seems right to us. Now we take our training and apply it to everything there is. We know what is beautiful because we like to think it is beautiful. The same thing for right and just. And, it is certainly right that we make you one of us, because unanimity is beautiful. So come along, don't give us any trouble."

I started looking for an escape, this was getting desperate. The deer weren't moving towards me, but seemed frozen. On a nearby path I spotted a woman of indeterminate age. I called to her and she waved, giving me a thumbs up.

A man came running up on my path. As he passed he slapped me on the back and said that I was doing fine and should keep it up.

As encouraging as those brief encounters were, I noticed that I was still surrounded by the deer and they had moved a little closer. I had no idea what to do. I tried talking to them, but they consistently repeated their earlier gobbledygook. Nothing I said made any difference. I thought about attacking them, but I was so outnumbered that I knew I would be trampled in a few moments.

What about giving in to them? No, I couldn't do that. I had no wish to join their obvious insanity and become a deer (for whatever they were, they certainly weren't human) like John. It would be surrendering to dishonesty as well as insanity.

I tried again, but before I got a few words out, they chanted:

"You are bad. You are wrong. We are right. We are good." Over and over and over again, until I wanted to scream.

Then I heard a noise in the sky and saw a helicopter with a rescue ladder dangling from it's side. I watched it swing back and forth.

I told you this thread was almost certainly not for you, but only for a very few. To those, I offer my true love.

Charles

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Nice parable Charles!

You know with a title like that I just HAD to look! You were right, the story isn't for me, but I have a sneaking suspicion of who the story was intended for. I hope they read with their hearts open and recognize truth when it's seen.

Respect and love,
littled16

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Dear littled16,

Actually, you are one of the few it was for. Don't tell anybody, but it was an attempt to paint a picture of who I am and how I think. There are only a few people here I really want to share it with. The deer? They still don't listen.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I don't get it so I can't tell if it's for me or not .

Thanks anyway I guess

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by navione

Dear navione,

No problem. Actually, it's a good thing that you didn't get it. Ignore it, it's just a rant. Stick around ATS, we need you.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Then I feel quite honored charles! I misinterpreted the intended audience, but not the intent of the story. I have often encountered a similar vision, but instead of deer who aren't deer they are all relicas of Mr. Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation, or at other times they are The Borg insisting that I "assimilate". It is indeed scary, and sometimes I feel like I and those like me are being "breeded out" (for lack of a better term).

Hold onto your beliefs and don't give in to those who seek to seduce you into assimilation Charles. Those who would try to convince you that a true free thinker only thinks what they do have been deceived. Never jump on a "band wagon" just because it's what the "cool kids" are doing. For some reason I don't honestly believe there is ever a chance of THAT happening, but just the same take it as a re-enforcement of what you know to be true already. Don't worry, I'll be by with a slap on the back or maybe even that rescue ladder if I can find my Dramamine!

I truly do hope that the people whom I thought your story was intended for read your thread Charles- I'm pretty sure they are the deer!

With Respect, Love and Deer Repellant,
littled16

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
S&F love the parable. I knew those damn deer were up to no good looking all cute like that

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Thank you. This was a cool rant to read.

A neat way of describing , your issue. I agree. Sometimes, dear are very annoying.
I think this is the reason, man became a hunter.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

The deer have never listened, and they never will.

If they did, they wouldn't be deer.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I'm not sure if I'm the man or the deer.

As I see it, there are many things that are very, very wrong with our society. But the things that I see as wrong are often viciously defended by others who must see it as the one true way to live. And some of the things that I feel should be embraced or at least tolerated and left alone are hated by many. I'm occasionally treated like a disgusting and horrible person by people who claim to be the most moral and just, but their actions show me that they are quite the opposite.

I have adopted and developed spiritual beliefs which make perfect sense to me, while others hate them and claim that it's not how it is, that my beliefs are some elaborate deception cooked up by a rogue agent of their deity.

It's all so very confusing...how can any of us ever be sure that what we see before our eyes is truly the way things are?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I am always astonished at the quality of your posts. I'm grateful that you're sharing with me.

Littled16 wondered about the intended audience. As watchitburn correctly points out:

The deer have never listened, and they never will. If they did, they wouldn't be deer.
I hold no real hope that a deer will see this and be transformed. Rather, I think they'll be upset, and there's already enough anger on these threads, so it's not really for them.

Nor is it for people like navione. He seems, in every good sense of the word, an "Innocent." We need people like that, and I hope he's protected.

It's for two groups of people. One, those who are walking in the same field I am. There's somebody out here sharing what you're going through. I don't have an answer. You'll notice that the story doesn't indicate whether the escape path, up and away, is chosen.

Two, it's for those who have given me the thumbs up every now and then, or the slap on the back. I'm weak enough to need that occasionally, and I'm really grateful to you. All I'm offering in return is a small slice of who I am and where. Small recompense indeed for your kindnesses.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Glass

As long as you are true to yourself and your beliefs because they are what feels good and right in your heart and respect others enough to allow them to be true to themselves and what they believe in their hearts, and don't try to force others to accept your way as the ONLY way........then I'm pretty sure you're not the deer.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Very eloquently written, and a wonderful variation on the animal farm"4 legs good two legs bad" dogma.
And like animal farm, there will always be those who buy into whatever philosophy is "in vogue" at the time.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nake13

Dear nake13,

(Is it all right if I mention that I'm envious of the people living in the Isles?)

Thanks for your kind words. I'm afraid I wasn't very subtle, but with the "too long, didn't read" limit imposed, and the frustration which sometimes pops up for me, I might have been a bit too blunt. ATS is an interesting place.

Sometimes I wish the deer were different, but no doubt they feel the same about me.

Anyway, thanks again, and enjoy the sunny skies of tropical Scotland.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
charles have you been smoking some of the greenery ??

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by billdadobbie

Dear billdadobie,

I can see where you'd think that.
But maybe you see everyone that way, I can't help but notice your avatar. But to answer your question, I may be the only person who grew up in the 60's and has never tried an illegal drug, or even been drunk. (I know, Boooring.) I tend towards cigars and Scotch.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

Dear billdadobie,

But maybe you see everyone that way, I can't help but notice your avatar. But to answer your question, I may be the only person who grew up in the 60's and has never tried an illegal drug, or even been drunk. (I know, Boooring.) I tend towards cigars and Scotch.

With respect,
Charles1952
i like my cigars and malt whisky and have been on the planet a while as well quafed 2 nice 18 year olds in the last week with friends and lots of deer up here in the highlands
on the planet for a good time not a long time bud ps watch that whacky baccy you might like it

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by billdadobbie

Originally posted by charles1952

Dear billdadobie,

With respect,
Charles1952
i like my cigars and malt whisky and have been on the planet a while as well quafed 2 nice 18 year olds in the last week with friends and lots of deer up here in the highlands
on the planet for a good time not a long time bud ps watch that whacky baccy you might like it

Oi! We can't have you talking about things which may or may not make people feel good which may or may not grow out of the ground naturally and which may be perfectly safe to use but may be suppressed by political lobbying by certain industrial interests. That would lead to madness! Maybe. So cut it out!
edit on 20/6/2013 by Glass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
*Slaps you on the back*... you are doing fine...

Well done, i really relished your words and appreciate your thoughts Charles...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Dear Rodinus,

Thanks for the slap. It's all very well to have the undying admiration of hundreds of lust-crazed female ATS members, but sometimes you have to get back with the guys for a real grounding.

What I worry about for me, but more so for society, is the pressure put on people to conform. Gone are the days when a person could say what they wanted, and the only community comment would be "Don't mind him, he's a bit eccentric." And with that understanding, life would go on quite peacefully.

With respect,
Charles1952

top topics

<<   2 >>

join