It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African Nerd producing 3d printer from e wastes.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
cashforelectronicscrapusa.com...

Send us your tired, send us your poor, but most of all dump your ewastes on us........
I find this amusing to some degree, and pathetic to another.............
What has the world come to when even countries are used by the "first world" as garbage heaps.
The attempt fo progress from our throw aways reminds me of a dandylion growing out of a crack in a cement walkway.
I am not soliciting for this guy...just thought it was an interesting twist....what if his printer is better than ours? what then?

edit on 20-6-2013 by stirling because: spelling

edit on 6/20/2013 by benevolent tyrant because: correct spelling error in thread title (Afrcan to African)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I think the bigger story is the fact that all of that trash is there to begin with. Who knew we were dumping this crap there? Since when did this country become designated as a planetary landfill??

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
A 3D printer? I'm thinking that his intellect could/should be used to help the people of Africa considering that most of the countries on the Continent are 3rd world countries.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Jeezuz hes making a 3d printer for Africans from our garbage which we bury his country in.....
whats wrong with that?
hes utilizing the materials he has to make something they dont have....crikey i didnt nominate him for a nobel prize...
As far as the e waste goes...where the hey have YOU been?
This goes on in lots of thrid world countries and China too

Our wonderful corporations have located all the heavy polluting factories in places where they can get workers for penies a day, and not have to worry about medical compo or anything like that.

Been gong on for EVER!( thats one reason i posted this)
edit on 20-6-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
One mans trash is another mans treasure.
Free is the best price.

I do feel bad that we are using them as a dumping grounds for all kinds of waste.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I'm not discrediting what he's doing I just think it would be better for his Country and his Continent if he were to make something more productive. All that electrical stuff could be used to help people in his Country that are without electricity.

Oh yeah, and there are already 3D printers
So he's not inventing anything new.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish

I'm not discrediting what he's doing I just think it would be better for his Country and his Continent if he were to make something more productive. All that electrical stuff could be used to help people in his Country that are without electricity.

Just can't be happy for the guy can you?

I doubt you could assemble a 3D printer with a manual and all new parts.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Unless he makes one better and for NOTHING.....then who is laughing.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Obviosly its not new....except to his country...where he produces them....
The e wastes are not exactly suitable for electrifying the country....
But i bet theres a windmill application that they could do if they scrounged up some "pulse chips".at least charge a battery.....
maybe you could write him with a few suggestions for his next project?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Wow, butthurt much? LOl. I'm not trolling your thread. I expressed my view and my opinion. If you can't handle it then stop making threads.

I'm ecstatic for the guy, I'm going to donate %20 of every paycheck to him and his cause, making printers that already exist.

Hook me up with his Email and I'll be happy to send him some suggestions

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta

Unless he makes one better and for NOTHING.....then who is laughing.

That dude will be laughing. Lol. ANd I will be too when people in his or surrounding countries are starving because he was using the material for printers instead of something that can contribute to the happiness and well being of people.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Im sorry i hurt your feeligs..........mine seem intact.....

I get yer drift but give the guy a break hes doing what he can do.....maybe hell turn out to be a black nicola tesla for all i know....

I do know e wastes are heavy pollutants...i doubt they would grow much

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling

Send us your tired, send us your poor, but most of all dump your ewastes on us........
What has the world come to when even countries are used by the "first world" as garbage heaps.
The attempt fo progress from our throw aways reminds me of a dandylion growing out of a crack in a cement walkway.
I am not soliciting for this guy...just thought it was an interesting twist....what if his printer is better than ours? what then?

edit on 6/20/2013 by benevolent tyrant because: correct spelling error in thread title (Afrcan to African)

Well there are many reasons for wanting the e-waste, urban mining for example which gram per gram is more rich than most of the precious metal mines operating today.

Urban Mining: Billions in Precious Metals Discarded in Landfills
www.triplepundit.com...

Accumulating in these growing mountains of e-waste, however, is a treasure trove of precious and other metals, as well as plastics – deposits of precious metals alone that are 40-50 times richer than the ores being mined in the ground, according to experts at the first-ever Global e-Sustainability Initiative (GeSI) and StEP e-Waste Academy for policymakers and small businesses co-hosted by the United Nations University (UNU) and GeSI in Accra, Ghana last week.

Not only that but for many who are active in the hacker field, that is building things from scrap or modification, this is like throwing away perfectly viable raw materials for NO good reason.

I say if the kid wants your worthless "out-dated" technology then give it to him and say thank you.

EDIT
Also if his printer is at all viable he can use it to print parts for other projects as well as apply his experience towards bigger and better goals.

Think of it this way, we used vacuum circuits in the early computers to build electric circuits which we are now using to build quantum processing.

Jeez why not tell the toddler that learning to walk is pointless because we have motorized vehicles . . .
edit on 20-6-2013 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

link   
reply to post by kimish

And with all your wisdom what do you suggest he do, to fix all the countries problems?

You act as if he is responsible for everything, if you aren't trolling you're extremely dense to blather out what you blather, but hey it's the internet and it's what ppl do,*make moronic claims* so indulge yourself.

link   

Touche`

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by FriedBabelBroccoli

Originally posted by stirling

Well there are many reasons for wanting the e-waste, urban mining for example which gram per gram is more rich than most of the precious metal mines operating today.

Urban Mining: Billions in Precious Metals Discarded in Landfills
www.triplepundit.com...

Accumulating in these growing mountains of e-waste, however, is a treasure trove of precious and other metals, as well as plastics – deposits of precious metals alone that are 40-50 times richer than the ores being mined in the ground, according to experts at the first-ever Global e-Sustainability Initiative (GeSI) and StEP e-Waste Academy for policymakers and small businesses co-hosted by the United Nations University (UNU) and GeSI in Accra, Ghana last week.

Not only that but for many who are active in the hacker field, that is building things from scrap or modification, this is like throwing away perfectly viable raw materials for NO good reason.

I say if the kid wants your worthless "out-dated" technology then give it to him and say thank you.

They arent really wanting the scrap but we keep on sending it anyways.....
Ive been scrapping e wastes for some time now...theres a whole lot of technology required to get the goodies out efficiently and cleanly.....
We are talking shiploads being dumped every week there....
I am sure they do lots of recycling or theyd be buried by now in it

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I wonder if hell be making Graphene with an old DVD reader next?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I find it interesting and a bit telling that Cash for Electronic Scrap USA is using this news to suggest people recycle by using their company.

What is interesting about the idea is - if it works- it might give 3-d printer technology to the common people - thus circumventing the laws that say what you can and cannot print such as the case with the 3d printer guns.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Lets face it, if you can print a 3d gun that works.....and build the printer from scrap...hows the goverment going to be able to control such ingenuity?
There are other products which could be printed as well, that one might retail or wholesale for cash as well....
Plastic hose fittings and the like....
I am not sure of the thing can print the size, but a continuos supply of material maybe its possible to print plastic water pipes?

I can see the possibilities for the reuse of plastics of all kinds here......

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
reply to post by kimish

And with all your wisdom what do you suggest he do, to fix all the countries problems?

You act as if he is responsible for everything, if you aren't trolling you're extremely dense to blather out what you blather, but hey it's the internet and it's what ppl do,*make moronic claims* so indulge yourself.

First off, no need to be an arrogant, self righteous cock.

Secondly, he could use the electronics to make a more efficient timed irrigation system which could ultimately feed thousands of people.

Thirdly, the electronic equipment could be used one way or another to aid in or to make windmills more efficient so more people could have electricity.

Hell, if he could make a 3D printer with scraps why couldn't he make some sort of chip for vehicles to make them run more efficient therefore cutting down on emissions?

Those are all off the top of my head, give me some time to think so I can make some more "moronic claims".

What say you cockboy?

top topics

join