It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polluting to death: China introduces execution for environmental offenders

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Polluting to death: China introduces execution for environmental offenders

rt.com

China has introduced “harsher punishments” for breaking the nation’s environmental protection laws: reckless violators of pollution standards in the world’s biggest and fastest-growing economy now face execution.

A new judicial interpretation taking effect on Wednesday has tightened Chinese “lax and superficial” enforcement of environmental protection laws, Xinhua reported citing a government statement.

The government is set to introduce a “precise criteria for convictions and sentencing” while the “judicial explanation provides a powerful legal weapon.” Law enforcem
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
China are not messing around. They are cleaning their act up and are getting tougher on environmental issues. China as very bad air quality infact so bad people have been protesting about it..

What would happen if the Gulf Oil Spill occurred in China. We really would see heads rolling.

rt.com

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Good. Lax practice can results in deaths. If some high up cuts out saftey for profit and ends up wrecking thousands of lives then they should have the enitire legal system thrown at them.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

China are not messing around. They are cleaning their act up and are getting tougher on environmental issues. China as very bad air quality infact so bad people have been protesting about it..

What would happen if the Gulf Oil Spill occurred in China. We really would see heads rolling.

rt.com

Sorry Purple.....but I don't buy it one bit. The Chinese Government IS the biggest Polluter of their own Country.

Here's a great article explaining why.

"The problem is that they still chase profit," said one resident outside a store near Zijin's Shanghang headquarters who did not want to give his name. "Protecting the environment is like taking medicine, and they don't want that." Zijin Mining is one of China's biggest state-owned firms, with projects in 20 provinces and seven countries.

In 2010, it was rocked by two major pollution scandals that cost it millions of yuan in fines and compensation payments and battered the share price of its listed vehicles in Shanghai and Hong Kong. It had already been reprimanded by the Ministry of Environmental Protection for failing to meet standards and its reputation was now badly damaged.

Insight: China's losing battle against state-backed polluters

I'm all for the cleaning up of China, but when profits get in the way, they are just like any other Country.

Its sad.

edit on 20-6-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Well it's extreme, but considering how we're destroying our planet, it may keep the offenders from thinking twice before polluting. Maybe the entire world should follow China's lead?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Bravo!!! About time someone somewhere took environmental issues seriously! Sorry to sound so harsh, but I wish other countries took this so seriously. Where I live the developers couldn't give a damn and are quite happy to build and destruct beautiful countryside ... doe's that count?
I am on the outskirts of London and what is left is not alot. Boris Johnson and his hair brained ideas of a hub airport in the Thames estuary is a or should be a national scandal! You can't seem to stop them though ... they just don't care!

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I'm not buying. There's nothing that leads me to believe that China, in any way, cares about the environment or, holding those that choose to pollute, accountable.

I'll believe it when the worlds worst polluter actually changes its tune, not just talk about it.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Very good policy. Someone who wrecklessly endangers or disrupts present or future ability of people to live on this planet should be executed if their "accident" is very big. If there was no way of knowing, that is a different story but in most cases it is ignorance of safety and welfare in the pursuit of profit that causes these accidents.

Even disrupting future food production by destroying the ability of our food to survive should be considered a terrorist attack towards mankind. Things can be done safely and appropriately with little added cost most times. Too bad that Monsanto isn't a corporation there.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by happinness

Bravo!!! About time someone somewhere took environmental issues seriously! Sorry to sound so harsh, but I wish other countries took this so seriously. Where I live the developers couldn't give a damn and are quite happy to build and destruct beautiful countryside ... doe's that count?
I am on the outskirts of London and what is left is not alot. Boris Johnson and his hair brained ideas of a hub airport in the Thames estuary is a or should be a national scandal! You can't seem to stop them though ... they just don't care!

I understand the sentiment, but......................

China is also is one of the worst Human right violators on this planet..... They kill people and Imprison people without all the fanfare and Pageantry. For me this is just another way of submitting their people to more death. Ive posted where China's OWN State run businesses are big Polluters.

Will they be killing there Political elite who are making the profits?

I doubt it.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Another reason for us not to buy anything that is made from China....and nail China with many Tariffs!

Stop buying, and China will stop producing! This decrease in production will [hopefully] decrease pollution amounts.
edit on 20-6-2013 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I understand the sentiment, but...................... China is also is one of the worst Human right violators on this planet..... They kill people and Imprison people without all the fanfare and Pageantry. For me this is just another way of submitting their people to more death. Ive posted where China's OWN State run businesses are big Polluters.

Thank you for your replies. China is a massive polluter and it looks like they are starting to do something about. Admittedly they have a way to go yet.
What makes you think China is one of the worst human rights abusers. There track record is not good. Is any better than the USA for example. Where they have the highest percentage of people in the world in prison. Are their human right atrocities any worse than two illegal wars fought over oil. The USA has the highest resource consumption rate in the world. Think about the amount of pollution that creates worldwide. Not very sustainable.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I have seen multiple threads with horrifying photos of the industrial pollution in China.
Has everyone forgotten the air quality issues at the Olympics in Beijing? It wasn't that long ago!

Now I see posters saying that we should 'follow the lead' of China???

Uh, no thanks.

ETA: The death penalty? For polluting?
We always hear complaints about the death penalty and how China executes so many people....
edit on 20-6-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I have a co-worker who was living in China when there were all the news reports of Chinese-made toys having lead paint. At least two CEO's from those companies were executed because of it.
I'm sure this was more because of economic reasons than kids' safety though.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by canselmi

Funny they do the opposite in many Western nations. The bankers in the US where granted immunity from prosecution.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
When does the putting to death start and does it start at the top?

China has the most polluted cities in the world, it's nice that they are thinking of stopping or well maybe not stopping but putting to death the fall guy.

I wonder will they employ the mobile death vans for eco-offenders?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Its catch 22 for china when you have thrived and undertaken a big chunk of the world's manufacturing

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Well that's pretty harsh but frankly with how bad the smog is I can see the point. These companies are hurting everyone, destroying the environment for all.

seems China learned a lesson the L.A. Area took decades to learn.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by slowisfast
I'm not buying. There's nothing that leads me to believe that China, in any way, cares about the environment or, holding those that choose to pollute, accountable.

I'll believe it when the worlds worst polluter actually changes its tune, not just talk about it.

They don't care about the Environment, they care that the billion people under the government don't get so fed up with them they decide they need a new one.

They are doing it to appease the populace, They remember that even the power of the government only goes so far against the will of the people having just had a revolution in 1966.

Besides you don't think the government officials are tired of asthma as well? this isn't Obama Care in the US where Congress gets their own health care separate from us. They don't have special government official only Air, they have to partake of the mess just like the rest of the Chinese, its for everyone's best interest.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Wait a minute.. you know how many American companies are now in China producing cheap goods.. and how many of those may be polluting the land?

What are they going to do.. call for the head of General Motors on a platter? That would be awesome if they could enforce this. The first time an American head of a large company gets executed, misguided Americans will call for war.

I agree this is a good thing though. What if that guy from BP got executed for the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill? I'll bet companies would take much more precaution.

The US can learn a lot it seems from China. We need such laws here.
edit on 20-6-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Or it may be a play by Xi to acquire assets and more control in a typical stalinist fashion.
So some are in favor of killing for environmental concerns...that is sad,and scary.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join