It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM even safer than conventional food, says environment secretary

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

GM even safer than conventional food, says environment secretary

www.bbc.co.uk

GM crops are probably safer than conventional plants, according to the Environment Secretary.

Making the strongest call yet for the adoption of the technology, Mr Paterson told the BBC that that GM has significant benefits for farmers, consumers and the environment.

He said the next generation of GM crops offers the "most wonderful opportunities to improve human health."
(visit the link for the full news article)

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Our politicians are SOLD OUT, they no longer represent the interests of the people. They hide in the open through 'inversion', so when one says improve human health, the opposite is intended.

This is the beginning now, of an ongoing propaganda campaign to make the UK and countries in Europe accept GMO and allow the food supply of the world to come under the control of corporations.

Whether GMO is safe or not, which it most likely isn't, it is about control of our food.

This is key to the NWO agenda. We are one of the last few generations who have an opportunity to stop what is happening, but collectively, we will let them win. Why? Because most people won't care until it is too late.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 20-6-2013 by Wonderer2012 because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Frankly all I care about is that anything GMO is labeled as such. Everyone should have the right to know what has been modified and what hasn't. If it is as harmless as they claim then label it and let the public decide for themselves. The fact that they hide it speaks volumes.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer2012

There is still too much that isn't known about GMOs for me to trust it... When more and more studies start coming out with peer reviewed content from major universities that say it's "safe" I might not have a issue with it, but right now I am going with my gut. And my gut is telling me not to trust them.

Way too many chemicals that I'm sure are not safe.

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

(at the extreme but still a possibility)
Of course GMO''s are fine. And when people turn a blind eye and it will be fully implemented. Once that done Agenda 21 will be enforced. Although too late, people will rise up and speak out against the corruption of governments and implicated corporations all over the world. To keep power, GMO seeds will be held back causing wide spread famines. People making their own gardens (prohibited by Agenda 21 and Bill C-36: The Canada Consumer Product Safety Act--the US has it's equivalent) will be arrested or worst. (Gross misconduct by police as we see today)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
We hav been modifying the world around us since humans first settled and form our early agrarian societies. Back then it was a matter of survival and sustainability. We face the same scenario now in a world this continually growing and struggles to find means to feed the population.

Our exploration of GMO foods is the next logical step to meet the modern challenges of feeding a runaway population. How many currently go without food....? Oh yea a # load

It's reality folks next stop GMO food, or perhaps some soylent green to go with the ever dwindling natural food reserves..
edit on 20-6-2013 by BaneOfQuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by BaneOfQuo

The next logical step would be to stop wasting so much. We waste enough food every day to feed the rest of the world. There is more than enough to go around. At our house the only things we throw out are the things that have gone bad. And that rarely happens.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R

The next logical step would be to stop wasting so much. We waste enough food every day to feed the rest of the world. There is more than enough to go around. At our house the only things we throw out are the things that have gone bad. And that rarely happens.

That's a band aid solution my friend. You will be only delaying the inevitable. At one point our population will intersect and exceed food production and I assure you that the rate of population increases exponentially with time.

Feel free to wrap up your garbage left overs..

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

My question to people who bring up the "feed the starving people" issue is this.
Why is anyone starving now, because GM crops have been around for many years? Shouldn't everyone be fed by now?

And to the topic, Yes, lets believe anyone in the government, because they only tell us the truth, right?

edit on 20-6-2013 by chiefsmom because: addition

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Has that guy even looked at one piece of evidence other than what Monsanto and other GM companies provide? What an idiot he is. Doesn't he realize that you cannot use safety information from a company and it's affiliates without having it tested by your own incorruptable scientists?

I'm thinking that it is about time monsanto returns to hell where it came from, along with all those who back it.
edit on 20-6-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Nature NEEDS to regulate itself. We're intervening way too much as it is. When we do get to the point were the Earth can't sustain us anymore we'll need to move a bunch of people off world or if the technology doesn't permit the Earth will cleans itself. She's done it before she'll do it again.
edit on 20-6-2013 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful

There is still too much that isn't known about GMOs for me to trust it...

Actually a lot is known about them....just because you're uneducated, doesn't mean the knowledge doesn't exist.

link   

Originally posted by BaneOfQuo
We hav been modifying the world around us since humans first settled and form our early agrarian societies. Back then it was a matter of survival and sustainability. We face the same scenario now in a world this continually growing and struggles to find means to feed the population.

I get where you're coming from, but we haven't been modifying what goes into our bodies I.E food. Something we ingest that has the ability to kill us...

Feeding the population is important but not at the risk of also killing people. I would say that's not making much progress...

-SAP-

link   

GM crops are probably safer than conventional plants

PROBABLY???? Yeah your modified plants are better than plants from God's green earth...

YEP....Sold out.....Walking away with a pocket full of money and an off shore bank account right now as we speak!!

Garbage in, garbage out.......People make me sick!!
edit on 6/20/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom

My question to people who bring up the "feed the starving people" issue is this.
Why is anyone starving now, because GM crops have been around for many years? Shouldn't everyone be fed by now?

And to the topic, Yes, lets believe anyone in the government, because they only tell us the truth, right?

edit on 20-6-2013 by chiefsmom because: addition

Maybe they are starving because of all the opposition from those who fear progress and the unknown?

Hypothetically, if no protest were ever made with respect to GMO foods and the industry was allowed some decades of unmolested research, the entire could of reached the point of 0% poverty, who knows...

Perhaps if we could have bred super animals that could perpetually produce bacon we could have the same thing...

Or PERHAPS these company are actually concerned with human well being and are actually taking their time with the research to avoid what doomsayers spout?? Interesting perspective no?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Please by all means point out something positive regarding GMOs. Something that's helpful to mankind as a whole. Other than the "feeding the world" argument...

I forgot how much of a know it all you are to call me uneducated. Please educate me...

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful

Originally posted by BaneOfQuo

I get where you're coming from, but we haven't been modifying what goes into our bodies I.E food. Something we ingest that has the ability to kill us...

Feeding the population is important but not at the risk of also killing people. I would say that's not making much progress...

-SAP-

Not necessarily true, we crossed pollinated plants to to produce better yields etc.. Is that not a rudimentary form of genetic manipulation?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Like it or not products are not currently labeled one way or the other.

The best solution I've found is Buycott. It's an app that is available for iPhone or Android and allows you to scan barcodes with your phone. You can set up to check to see if a certain company's products are in your consumer goods. I have mine set up to check for Monsanto. It will tell me whether there is a conflict with my campaign and give me the option to check the item's whole family tree.

It really is great, and free I believe.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R

Nature NEEDS to regulate itself. We're intervening way too much as it is. When we do get to the point were the Earth can't sustain us anymore we'll need to move a bunch of people off world or if the technology doesn't permit the Earth will cleans itself. She's done it before she'll do it again.
edit on 20-6-2013 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

By that rational you would have increasing number of your fellow humans to starve to death and worse still perhaps spur on global wars for the last remaining food supplies?

Grant it, I used a slippery slope there, but food is one of fundamental needs for survival and its not hard to imagine or conclude conflict over dwindling resources. Christ we go to war over oil, why not food and water.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

NO not at all. Cross pollination happens in nature. Adding moth DNA to wheat is not natural.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join