It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SSRI stories: Psych pharmas and the mayhem they cause

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It has been my contention that today's crop of psych meds are very dangerous, and have been the cause of many mass shootings and other violence. TPTB use guns as the scapegoat and blatantly politicize these tragedies to further their agenda. Guns do not cause violence. People do.

When someone's mind becomes twisted by these compounds, bad things can happen. Granted, thousands of people do take these with no ill effects. For others, however, these meds can bring on madness worse than what they were prescribed for in the first place.

Here are a few snippets:

School shooting 2008 6 dead, 15 wounded Prozac withdrawal
School shooting 2005 10 dead, 7 wounded Prozac
School shooting 1995 3 dead Zoloft

There are hundreds of stories on this site that all tell the same tale.

Guns don't cause mass shootings... psychiatrists do.

SSRI stories

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Here are the FDA warnings (which don't dissuade them from prescribing them)

On March 22, 2004 the FDA published a Public Health Advisory that reiterates several of these side effects and states (in part) "Anxiety, agitation, panic attacks, insomnia, irritability, hostility, impulsivity, akathisia (severe restlessness), hypomania, and mania have been reported in adult and pediatric patients being treated with antidepressants for major depressive disorder as well as for other indications, both psychiatric and non-psychiatric."
On September 14, 2004 the FDA added a Black Box Warning in regard to antidepressants & suicidality in those under age 18.
On September 14, 2004 the FDA mandated that pharmacies provide to all parents or guardians for those younger than 18 an Antidepressant Patient Medication Guide. This guide reads (in part) "Call healthcare provider right away if you or your family member has any of the following symptoms: Acting aggressive, being angry, or violent & acting on dangerous impulses." This Antidepressant Patient Medication Guide also states "Never stop an antidepressant medicine without first talking to a healthcare provider. Stopping an antidepressant medicine suddenly can cause other symptoms."
On December 13, 2006, the Black Box Warning for suicidality was updated to include those under age 25. The Black Box Warning is included in the insert to the drugs and in the Physicians' Desk reference.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by madmac5150

There are other solutions instead of SSRI's.

ATS

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmac5150
When someone's mind becomes twisted by these compounds, bad things can happen.

Such as, but not limited to...

Anal Leakage
Sudden Death
Hallucinations
Impotence
Violent Diarrhea
Memory Loss
Cardiac Arrest
Etc...

I get a kick out of the commercials for most medications.

They run the whole gamut from erectile dysfunction, to hair loss, to mental issues. The funny part is that many of the potential side effects can be worse than the problem.

All kidding aside, when I opened this thread I had it in my mind to post the exact link you posted.
Its my goto link for pointing out the fact that there IS a correlation between psychotropic drugs and mass shootings.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
My oldest daughter went through this hell for years (my ex seems to think that all teens need to be medicated); she finally got off of em last year, and the turn around has been remarkable. It hits very close to home for me.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
You do realize they were on those drugs because they already had mental problems, right?

This argument is even more stupid than saying guns cause violence! and that's stupid.

Plus your thread adds absolutely nothing new to this discussion. It's been brought up many times. Not to mention there's nothing of real substance to your post.

You're taking something that has been discussed 1000 times on this site, and you wrote it in the most amateurish way.

While there may be some side effects, these drugs help FAR MORE than they harm.

edit on 20-6-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

I saw what my kid went through, and that did it. Yes, I am sure this has been covered before, but these meds are so damned dangerous that it needs to stay in the spotlight until people get it. 4800+ cases of these meds inciting violent confrontations not enough?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
One big problem with SSRI's and the people using them is that the people are not always honest with their doctor. 1 little detail when talking to the doctor could make the difference in which medication is best suited for the person.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

But how many are on these meds that don't need them at all? My daughter started on this stuff because she "had trouble concentrating"... what teenager doesn't? It's part of being a teenager. When "trouble concentrating" turned into "outbursts" in school and then "suicide ideation" she was hospitalized and then drugged up even more. Now that she is off of them, her life has turned around. The pharma companies push these meds on docs, that push them on patients, that end up taking even more meds to fix the problems the other meds cause. It is a sickening spiral for anyone that gets caught up in it...

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I agree with you that meds are over prescribed. IMO things such as a change in diet or/and physical activities should be tried first before resorting to medications but we all know that Doctors get perks or whatever for some medications that are prescribed. :/ And then you have the parents that don't want to deal with their children or take the time to work with them so they then get their child put on meds. SMH. I know a few of those people and I feel so bad for their children. :/

Me, I'm on meds since last year and it's the best thing that happened to me since my children were born. I'm a SSRI success story. lol.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

If they work for you, fantastic. I am also guessing you aren't a teenager. The big problem seems to be the use of these meds on teens. With a teenager you are dealing with hormonal swings brought on by puberty, a brain that hasn't matured yet and a host of other issues... that is where the danger lies. I'd venture that 90% or more (teenagers) that take them don't need them to begin with. These meds are flat out dangerous when used on teens.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmac5150
reply to post by kimish

If they work for you, fantastic. I am also guessing you aren't a teenager. The big problem seems to be the use of these meds on teens. With a teenager you are dealing with hormonal swings brought on by puberty, a brain that hasn't matured yet and a host of other issues... that is where the danger lies. I'd venture that 90% or more (teenagers) that take them don't need them to begin with. These meds are flat out dangerous when used on teens.

I couldn't agree with you anymore. A lot of these doctors should be sued for negligence. I mean, what you say about hormones is true, so perhaps the kids should see an endocrinologist before going to a Psychiatrist to make sure that their behavior is hormone related. Crazy world we live in.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I agree,

I was taken to a Psych, by my wife, because she was concerned I was depressed.

I live in a country that is not my own
I work overseas 300 days of the year
it is a high stress job
My wife is always complaining that why don't I get a normal job (or we'll be divorced)
Our life style does not allow the above
My Dad had just died
I had just quit smoking.

The psych, asked me a few very banal questions, and went, yes your depressed, take these pills. (SSRI)

I took them
My head felt wooly, I could not think, I had a crawling sensation on my head.

I did not feel "happy", although it did not zombiefy my, it did put me in a dark place.

I ahev always been the sort of person that when I am down, I have the ability to work through it, and find my own philosophical way. My wife has not, has always been dependant on therapy, and pharma, and does not understand why I don't "need help". She does not understand the human experience.

Anyway, these put me in such a dark place, the like I have never felt before. I was so alone, and there was nothign anyone could do.

The only thing I could do, was stop (this was after 3 weeks on them). I stopped, and started smoking immediately. That was another by product, they did not make me care that I had not smoked for 6 months. There was no ounce of my own will there. no questions, I just started.

I have been back to normal every since, despite protest from my wife that I should have kept on taking them, or if they were not working, get some different ones.

I saw what this # did to my dad, it is part of what killed him.

EVIL EVIL POISON.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Perhaps you should remote view their origins and then get back to us.
They nullify emotions,I'd say OK for short term use only.Long term would develop dependancy and if the dossage is lost or stopped ,someone could die.
You are nuked with everything when it hits you all at once, Unless you have a strong sense of self and values human life wouldn't mean much.And considering how low this process can take you,I wouldn't like to see anyone outside of constant psychiatric care under them.
I put a pistol to my head cause I got so low. But hey, then I couldn't kick prog butt like am today.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Ignore that one . All it posts is propaganda protecting his employers monetary interests .

A patient of mine had the same kind of thing happen . She had been abused ,and not told anyone ,so her parents did what they thought best ,and all the psych meds took a huge toll on her system .
She had no mental illness ,just trauma from evil events .

She finally got off of them ,and took her life back ,bit she still has lasting debilitations brought on by the meds.
All physiologic .
That's why she comes to me. It's taken a few years ,but her improvement has been nothing short of remarkable .

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

This website was started by a group of medical doctors ,who feel meds are over prescribed ,and all of their side affects not discussed with patients ,and the fact side affects of one med,usually end up getting you prescribed for another med,to counter act the side affect of the first med ,and so on.

You go for help with one ailment,and end up on three medications .
It's a vicious cycle .
Check the names of the meds in here.

www.rxisk.org...

Drug side effects are now a leading cause of death, disability, and illness. Experts estimate that only 1–10% of “serious” adverse events (those causing hospitalization, disability, or death) are ever reported. Not to mention the millions of “medically mild” adverse drug events that occur each year — ones that compromise a person’s concentration, functioning, judgment, and ability to care.

RxISK is the first free, independent website where patients, doctors, and pharmacists can research prescription drugs and easily report a drug side effect — identifying problems and possible solutions earlier than is currently happening.

Why Should You Report?

No one knows drug side effects like the person who is taking a pill.Yet your voice is increasingly being silenced.You and your doctor may have been told there is no evidence linking the treatment you are on to the problems you are experiencing. This is because most data on prescription drugs is owned by the multinational pharmaceutical companies who run almost all clinical drug trials (60% of which are never reported). They simply are not sharing data that may affect their bottom lines.There is a gap in the data that only patients, doctors, and pharmacists can fill.
edit on 6/20/13 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
And keep in mind these are being given to COMBAT TROOPS as well, for treatment.
Talk about a bad idea.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
When I was in high school, a young man killed himself after taking I believe Prozac? He was 14. His 12 year old sister found him, shot himself in the bathroom with his dad's gun. he was a friend of a friend, and supposedly, his depression worsened after starting medication. His mother took him off the meds cold turkey, which I don't think helped. Years later it was found that this medication could cause increased risk of suicide in teenagers, and now it is never given to young people. Such a sad story. I think everyone wants to point the finger at something. The bullies at school, the lack of therapy, giving the boy medication that had only been tested on adult men, the easily accessible gun. IMO all of the above and more were factors in this tragedy.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
You do know that anti depressants have a leaflet in the packet saying what possible side effects you may have taking the drugs. It also says that if your side effects get worse you are to tell your doctor immediatley or as soon as possible and to stop taking the medication. If people are going to ignore this advice then its no wonder some people have died taking these drugs. IT is upto you the individual to tell the doctor if you think that these drugs are not working and explain any symtoms you may be experiencing. Some drugs work wonders for some people, those same drugs may not effect other people and they may be people who have an negative reaction to the same drugs. It is all about how your body chemistry works.
Most recent developments in depression have found that most depressions can be treated using the dopamine chemical and with far less side effects.
science daily
sciencedaily link 2

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Colorado and Washington have better ideas.

new topics

top topics

join