It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to animals (ASPCA) Animal Poison Control's database of plants toxic to dogs includes lemon (citrus limonia) and lime (citrus aurantifolia).
Reason for Toxicity
Lemons and limes contain the substance psoralens, a compound that also is found in other fruits and vegetables such as celery, parsley, figs and parsnips. It is used to treat psoriasis and other skin disorders. Combined with the acidity of the fruits, psoralens can make the ingestion of lemons and limes dangerous for dogs and other animals. The oils extracted from these plants, however, are more toxic in concentrated forms appearing in insecticides, dips, shampoos and sprays.
Signs of Poisoning
Both fruits will produce the same symptoms in a dog. The severity will depend on the strength of the substance, the quantity and whether the dog ingested the substance or absorbed it through its skin. A dog might vomit, suffer diarrhea, drool and tremble excessively and show signs of ataxia. A rash also might develop, particularly in the dog's groin area. Long-term effects can include depression and liver failure, resulting in the animal's death.
Helping the Dog
For dogs that have consumed the fruit or juice of a lemon or lime, the symptoms probably will be mild. Withhold food for 24 hours and allow the dog to only drink water. This will flush the fruit out of its system. Watch for any signs that the poisoning is getting worse. If the dog has been exposed to concentrated oils through its skin, wash the animal with liquid dish soap and warm water until the smell of citrus and all traces of the oil are gone. Dry the dog and keep it warm, watching it carefully for further symptoms.
If the dog has ingested products with a strong concentration of citrus, take it to the veterinarian as soon as possible. The dog's stomach must be flushed and it will be given a finely ground charcoal to bind toxins in the stomach and prevent them from getting absorbed into the dog's digestive system.
Originally posted by signalfire
Great, give a poor animal something it shouldn't have to eat covered with sand and then laugh at the result... did they at least give him some water afterwards to clean his mouth out with or was he left trying to get relief with ocean water?
Originally posted by chiefsmom
reply to post by signalfire
Well, I do apologize, I didn't know it was bad for a dog, and not knowing that, the dogs reaction was funny. At least the people on this thread have now learned something beneficial as far as dog care goes, right? And I even did research before my post on pickles.
Jude? Jude? Are you still pushing the pet forum? This thread is a good example of how it would have been nice to have!!!!!
edit on 20-6-2013 by chiefsmom because: afterthought