It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man sets out to build 'Worlds largest underground survivor shelter'!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
If you're looking ahead to a time of Nuclear War, Asteroid impact on some other part of the planet (a direct hit may not go well) or some other extinction level event? Well, a man with property in Kansas has you in mind for his next project. This is a serious endeavor by the sound of it and very serious money is up and working this.

ATCHISON, Kan. (AP) — After most of the world's population is wiped off the map by a wayward meteorite or hail of nuclear missiles, the survival of the human race might just depend on a few thousand people huddled in recreational vehicles deep in the bowels of an eastern Kansas mine.

That's the vision of a California man who is creating what he calls the world's largest private underground survivor shelter, using a complex of limestone caves dug more than 100 years ago beneath gently rolling hills overlooking the Missouri River.

There were a few ways to approach a story of this kind. Silly, respectful, or just tell is like it is and let everyone decide their own take on it. It's not a joke though and the facility surely exists. I've been in the limestone "underground" in Springfield, Carthage and multiple areas in and around Kansas City as a trucker. These things are awesome to see first hand.

The Kansas caverns are 100 feet to 150 feet below the surface and have a constant natural temperature in the low 70s. They are supported by thick limestone pillars six times stronger than concrete and will have blast doors built to withstand a one-megaton nuclear explosion as close as 10 miles away, Vicino said.

Safe as a bug in a rug! ...for a price of course. Hey, you didn't think survival was a matter of generosity, did ya?

The shelter will have enough space for more than 1,000 RVs and up to about 5,000 people. Members will be charged $1,000 for every lineal foot of their RV to purchase their space, plus $1,500 per person for food. That means a person who plans to park a 30-foot vehicle in the shelter with four people inside will pay $30,000 for the space and $6,000 for food.
Source

Here are a few pics I have from another thread which show the Underground in Springfield and specifically, the area Kraft Foods uses for cheese storage.

How does that look for a place to live for months or more? In a true disaster, I suppose it would beat whatever life has become topside, but I'm not sure the life of a mole is for me. Still, it appears he's taking reservations or will be soon in terms of people with money who do want the 'ultimate' insurance and parking pad.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Cool place but I would want to know many more details before putting money down, like who makes the rules while down there and what are they? I reckon it would get very dicey down there knowing the world has gone.
Hhhhm nah I would take my chances top side..it looks like a tomb.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
These "mines" already exist in America, according a Hopi legend.

Although they will not be for us I guess...

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I wonder what archeologists will think when they unearth this thing a thousand years from now
I suppose it will be classified as a religious camping site.

I wouldn't want to live in the hills of Kansas, they have a weird accent around there. It is way different than the Yooper accent. I wouldn't feel at home. I suppose we can all go huddle in the old mines around here if we had to. We wouldn't even need much food, just a whole lot of beer and brats. We could scavenge all the stuff out of Volwerths to create all the food for the survivors, there is a beer factory up North also, all we need is a good supply of Hops.

Maybe we don't even need a disaster to build this thing, it would be an excellent retreat for those who want to lower their stress. There could be people on staff to train for SHTF scenarios. It could be the areas biggest employer

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
LOL a real life Vault 101

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Nice to know if the world was struck by a giant meteor the cheese would survive.. !
And to get trapped in there with all the cheese would be paradise

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spacespider
Nice to know if the world was struck by a giant meteor the cheese would survive.. !
And to get trapped in there with all the cheese would be paradise

dont forget BACON!!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Spacespider

Rumor has it that at least part of the major Hollywood studio's film vaults are down there somewhere too. So, cheese for your cracker and a movie to watch while eating it. Indeed. Who could ask for more in a post-apocalyptic world?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Someone is capitalizing on the paranoia thats for sure
After all, he is a Developer.
edit on 20-6-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Spacespider

Rumor has it that at least part of the major Hollywood studio's film vaults are down there somewhere too. So, cheese for your cracker and a movie to watch while eating it. Indeed. Who could ask for more in a post-apocalyptic world?

Come on Wrabbit... you forgot the most important thing of all!

What goes with cheese and just loves a great underground cellar?

WINE... and loads of it too!

Thanks for the thread

Reminds me of the area where i live in France... the whole of the area where i live is riddle with underground tunnels and vaults (some still containing german munitions, tanks and other military equipment from the 2nd world war...) they say that if one grenade explodes in a various vault in my region at least 3 villages will go up in a cloud of smoke!)

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Cool place but I would want to know many more details before putting money down, like who makes the rules while down there and what are they? I reckon it would get very dicey down there knowing the world has gone.
Hhhhm nah I would take my chances top side..it looks like a tomb.

I guess an elected overseer will be in charge of the vault

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoSpace

My bet is the guy who owns it, he has the food and the ability to open and close the doors. I wonder If SHTF he would even let those people who payed in...

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by NeoSpace

My bet is the guy who owns it, he has the food and the ability to open and close the doors. I wonder If SHTF he would even let those people who payed in...

A bit like those folks in the film The day after tomorrow when they all try to get onto the arks

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 20-6-2013 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling again today, doing 5 things all at the same time!

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
It's funny, but this isn't the first time this place has been brought up, but it is the first time someone actually bought it and plans to do with it, what preppers dreamed about doing with it....

My guess is that it still serves as the current role of being a storage place for large trucks, etc. Given it's original role, the owner is going to have to put a LOT of money into it, to do what he wants it to do...

Power generation
Water storage and treatment
Sewage handling
Food storage and production
Air circulation and filtration
Communications
Security
Rules and Laws
etc.

He's got a lot of work (and money) ahead of him....

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Guess which government shill (according to some on ATS) drafted that deed... Want a hint?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I'm curious about the angle here.

Okay, let's say this is accurate:

That means a person who plans to park a 30-foot vehicle in the shelter with four people inside will pay $30,000 for the space and $6,000 for food.

So, 1000 spaces, at $36,000 each, that's $3,600,000. That's a pretty good return on an initial $500,000 investment. But, that doesn't consider the cost to add the blast doors he mentioned, or any of the concerns I raised above, which are going to greatly diminish that profit margin. Not to mention, that food's only going to last so long, but if just a one time fee, how is he going to ensure the food remains fresh and rotated?

Here's the site for the Resort:
www.terravivos.com...

It answers a lot of my questions (except how that ONE-TIME margin is supposed to pay for all these amenities.)
One key thing though...you'll only get power for lights, not any other RV amenities, so if someone was seriously doing this, and getting an RV for just this reason, they'd be advised to customize it to:

Maximize space
Use low powered LED lighting
Not include high drain appliances or devices
Have their own food stores (as that food cost is freeze dried rations)
Be a model that can expand width-wise (since cost is based on LENGTH) for more space
etc., etc.

Assuming they are on the up and up, this is actually probably one of the best values for this kind of sheltering currently out there. Unattainable for most of us, but pretty cool if you could swing it (especially since it includes the ability to use it all the time, as much as you like). Question is, can they sell enough to do each phase of the construction of the amenities (and in a reasonable time)? A lot of folks aren't going to fork over the cash until at least phase 1 (the basics) is complete.
edit on 20-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I would not announced plans to either build or buy a 'bunker'

Considering Presidential Directive 8 I think it is that pretty much says government can seize any property/ or place to deal with 'any national emergency'.

'Note might have my directive numbers mixed up but that is one on them.
edit on 20-6-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Maybe we can get all the fat cats in America to buy one of these and then we can fake an impending disaster. Once they are down there just cement the holes up. Would be a great way to get rid of the 1%

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Reminds me of the book "Swan's song".
They also had a fancy underground shelter for leisurely survival tourists at the beginning of the story.. Didn't turn out all to great for them as I remember.
edit on 20-6-2013 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Alarm bells going off.

Who gets to pick these 5000 people - and on what criteria?

Seems to me this thing is gonna sit idle until a SHTF situation comes ( after it's built) .. Hollywood can always rent it to make movies in.
edit on 20-6-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

top topics

<<   2 >>

join