It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit cop who killed 7-year-old girl walks free after mistrial

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Detroit police officer Joseph Weekley was spared a felony conviction on Tuesday over the killing of a 7-year-old girl after a jury deadlocked and a mistrial was declared, according to Detroit Free Press.

Weekley shot and killed Aiyana Stanley-Jones on the night of May 16, 2010, as officers executed a search warrant on the duplex her family lived in. The officers entered Stanley-Jones’s home searching for a murder suspect who was later found in the adjacent unit, throwing a flashbang grenade into the room where the girl was sleeping with her grandmother, then shooting her in the head seconds later.

Weekley was subsequently charged with felony involuntary manslaughter and careless discharge of a firearm resulting in death, carrying with them the potential for 15+ years in prison. However, both charges failed to stick on Tuesday afternoon, after three straight days of jury deliberations failed to produce a conviction.

www.rawstory.com...

There has been surfaced a video which filmed the raid, I personally could not see a struggle there, which is claimed.

Video of the tragic raid:

"There is no question about what happened because it's in the videotape," Fieger said. "It's not an accident. It's not a mistake. There was no altercation."
"Aiyana Jones was shot from outside on the porch. The videotape shows clearly the officer throwing through the window a stun grenade-type explosive and then within milliseconds of throwing that, firing a shot from outside the home," he said.

www.smh.com.au...

This is not over yet, as another ordeal will be held in July. It is very hard to take a stand on this matter. On one hand, it was an accident, not intentional. Although after watching the tape, it seems as there was no struggle, it was just shot seemingly without reason, and it was WRONG HOUSE.

I do not believe the police officer should get 15 years for it, after all accident, but at least some jail-time should come in my opinion, 3-5 years for example. He was doing his job, but his carelessness/irresponsibility with his gun led to the death of a child. Nothing can justify that in my opinion. He will regret this for the rest of his life, but still I believe at least some jail time is deserved too.
edit on 20-6-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Giving the cop the benefit of the doubt that it was an accident, rather than he got jumpy and overreacted to a non-existent threat, he still needs to accept his responsibilities. Had it been a member of the girl's family showing off their legally acquired new gun and an accident had occurred, would they be likely to avoid jail time?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
He didn't "walk free", he's going to be tried again (at great expense) and again a mistrial declared.
The sentiment here in Detroit is that if they hadn't been hiding/harboring a murder, that little girl would be alive.

luckily, all it takes is 1 out of 12 to call "BS"

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by acacko
He didn't "walk free", he's going to be tried again (at great expense) and again a mistrial declared.
The sentiment here in Detroit is that if they hadn't been hiding/harboring a murder, that little girl would be alive.

luckily, all it takes is 1 out of 12 to call "BS"

Expense shouldn't be a consideration where justice is concerned. If the price of justice is rising, add a couple of pence extra tax on tobacco, alcohol and fast food products.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
What were seeing is basically an inside view of a hit squad with badges. If the suspect had been there and bare in mind that he was a suspect and not convicted yet then they would have executed him and made up a story about a struggle. Its the fact that its a child that has thrown a spanner in the works but even so a jury finds it hard to convict a murderer? My god America is lost and gone to the dogs. I have no sympathy for Americas downfall they have brought it on themselves through saturation of violence, and people have been dehumanised. If it was an animal it would have caused more outrage but it was just another human being.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Police should under go more training and maybe be issued guns with safeties that they are lot allowed to disengage unless a) they have been fired upon or b) they have a confirmed target in their sights. This reflexive point and shoot without thinking is part of the problem here.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Raids are ridiculous in the first place. They can surveil and pick suspects up without making a scene all day long if they wanted to.

But that doesnt let them dress up in silly costumes and play action hero.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

It apparently wasn't "point and shoot" in this case though. First, there was added pressure from the former police chief allowing "The First 48" to film this, which apparently is what led to them using the flash bang to begin with (several people stated during the trial that without the film crew, they wouldn't have used them), and second, the girls' grandmother apparently grabbed at him, and hit his gun which may have led to it going off.

I agree that he could have prevented it from happening, but at least in this case it wasn't just a "I saw someone so I shot them" incident.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bilky
What were seeing is basically an inside view of a hit squad with badges. If the suspect had been there and bare in mind that he was a suspect and not convicted yet then they would have executed him and made up a story about a struggle. Its the fact that its a child that has thrown a spanner in the works but even so a jury finds it hard to convict a murderer? My god America is lost and gone to the dogs.

The more money and power we give to police and government agencies, the worse it becomes. Around this rural area, we now have police in black pajamas sneaking around farms. Police in helicopters, small planes and in-your-house doing sneak-and-peak searches.

Militarising the police with flash bangs, swat teams, military gear, drug war, etc has definitely damaged our national fabric. If the objective of the police was to serve and protect the public, these methods would not even be considered for ordinary use.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

If you pick up someone that is aware you're coming, there is added danger of them resisting and opening fire if they have a gun and are violent. If you kick a door down, there is shock, and it stops them from doing anything for at least several seconds while they figure out what's happening.

Which makes more sense, to go after a violent murder suspect that is determined to not go to jail on the street, where he's aware of you coming? Or kicking down his door, when he doesn't know you're coming, and may not have a gun handy, and would be less inclined to shoot if his family is there?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Whose aware of some guy in casual clothes walking up and grabbing them off the street?

Happens everyday.

If some petty pickpocket can do it with plenty of shock and surprise I bet a couple of cops could.

I home carry. So does my wife. Which is safer, somebody in plain clothes grabbing me on the street or my door being kicked in and my wife and I sending 40+ round into the opening?
edit on 20-6-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by Zaphod58

Whose aware of some guy in casual clothes walking up and grabbing them off the street?

Happens everyday.

If some petty pickpocket can do it with plenty of shock and surprise I bet a couple of cops could.

Exactly. Every police force should have at least one male and one female cop with enough unarmed combat training to be able to pretend to be a couple and take down and incapacitate any single, unsuspecting person who doesn't have combat training.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
That is an extremely shamefull accident if you ask me....Headshot on a 7yo girl.....You have to think the size of a 7yo girls head, not very big. This criminal LEO was most certainly not qualified to handle a weapon, his incopetence and lack of training ended an innocent childs life. Cut and dry. To me no excuse justifies this, this man deserves to be punished to the fullest extent of the law, the law he is suppose to uphold. If these officers are not capible of handling a situation like this with professionalism, and skill, they should not be part of said operations. Hands down. He killed a little girl for christ sakes, accident or not, she is dead. If I were to shoot my gun in the air whilst standing over on the next block and it hit and killed a person, you bet your ass I would be convicted of at least man slaughter, although a complete accident I was being wreckless. Tell me how this is different? This cop was being wreckless.....So what if he is a cop, hold him to a higher standard.

Also, saying they acted in a particular way (using flash bangs and probably being more dramatic then usual) because the camera crew from the First 48 were there is absolutely disgusting!!!!! And the fact that they actually mentioned it to press.....c'mon, that just goes to show how stupid these LEOs are....showing off huh...well they said it themselves......idiots!!!

In conclusion, I believe the offending officer should be forced into hand to hand combat with an angry Bengal Tigress protecting her young.

No sympathy.
edit on 20-6-2013 by llmacgregor because: Cell phone spelling

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by llmacgregor

Also, saying they acted in a particular way (using flash bangs and probably being more dramatic then usual) because the camera crew from the First 48 were there is absolutely disgusting!!!!! And the fact that they actually mentioned it to press.....c'mon, that just goes to show how stupid these LEOs are....showing off huh...well they said it themselves......idiots!!!

They do it all the time and apparently (judging by the reaction of the press and municipalities) it's perfectly okay to ramp up the action for TV.

About a year ago cops burned a girl flashbaning into her home while looking for somebody who posted something threatening online. Here's the thread.

Their excuse at the time was that the person making the threat was considered dangerous.

Turns out the local TV station had a crew filming and the cops wanted to show off.

Also turns out they had the wrong address.

And when they finally went to get this "dangerous" person they did it with regular uniformed cops and a knock on the front door.

Morons all around in every department in the country.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Online comment.
Wrong house.
Showing off.
Innocent person injured.

Man, that is sad.

Police showing off in NOT OK. Not their job. Things go wrong when people show off.
Showoffs famous last words "hey look at me".......hurt themselves or someone else. Showing off when weapons are involved is particularly stupid.

edit on 20-6-2013 by llmacgregor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by llmacgregor

Tragic accident but also incredible negligence....just because a cop has a reason to do a "No Knock Entry" is not a literal "License to kill" anything that moves or is even just in the home (and that goes for pets even if barking which is what they are supposed to do---sorry about the tangential comment but that is also an issue).

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
how "sane" of some: claiming this was an accident
no doubt these are the same defenders of "the Sane Society" always having to "explain"
to us "Insane Idiots" how extraordinarily "difficult" it is to shoot somebody in the arm or leg, therefore police are trained to shoot at Center Mass of the target

the way their system is set up, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING prevents a state sponsored sociopa*COUGH*COUGH* I mean a "po' widdle & misunderstood" police officer from getting their rocks off "accidentally" killing people.

of course, it would be an utterly "Insane" world were this [snip] were held as equally accountable as a civilian

edit on 20-6-2013 by TheMagus because: added comment

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

What were seeing is basically an inside view of a hit squad with badges. If the suspect had been there and bare in mind that he was a suspect and not convicted yet then they would have executed him and made up a story about a struggle. Its the fact that its a child that has thrown a spanner in the works but even so a jury finds it hard to convict a murderer? My god America is lost and gone to the dogs. I have no sympathy for Americas downfall they have brought it on themselves through saturation of violence, and people have been dehumanised. If it was an animal it would have caused more outrage but it was just another human being.

Save the cop ! save the cop! after-all, this was only a minority child *** HUGE SARCASM!!!***

HOW THE fu&&$$ck CAN THIS COP GET A MISTRIAL??? This cop must have paid off somebody somehow...

IF he ever got to prison.. WHAT to you think would happen to a white cop that killed a black child.... pity.. tsk tsk pitty!!! One day lets all hope he gets what he deserves!

Maybe friends of this this family that lost this child needs to arrange for this cop to have a "flat tire" on a road that has no video cameras and well... get my point?

WAKE UP AMERIKA! "we the people" will have to make the justice that lying crooked police and politicians/lawyers took away from us!!!!!

Where the HELL is Jesse Jackson? Where the hell is Al Sharpton? have you all taken bribes to keep your mouth shut? This would NOT have happened a few years ago!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

its has always and always will be ruled as an accident unless you have actual video proof of these thugs shooting the victims

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

right!

COPS HAVE NO INTEGRITY!--
a. bogus speed traps and other "revenue generation"

b. FOR PROFIT PRISON complex (only human excrement would not ONLY PROFIT, but PERPETUATE and ENCOURAGE that corrupt system

c. has a SINGLE cop arrested a single bankster, bank ceo, etc?? nope, only the small fish

d. the BLUE LINE has to be the MOST DETESTABLE PILE OF GARBAGE EVER!! this alone is proof enough--how many times have cops lied and set people up --easier to find how many licks to the center of a tootsie pop--

e. now its common knowledge the TBTF banks criminally foreclosed on many people!---> WHO is there with guns to throw people to the streets? those willing to do WHATEVER IT TAKES (to "provide" for "their family"), make people homeless (while knowing the system is corrupt)!! PURE GARBAGE!!
BADGES ARE R E D C O A T S !!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join