It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The pain inflicted upon the American people is above partisanship. It's about FOOD now.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by sean
Two billion dollars is chump change compared to the money blown everyday on stupid stuff. Hell the federal reserve lost trillions and don't even know where it went. Next time your staving to death show up at the white house for dinner they got lots of food.

Exactly, but we have people who think the poor should just starve out and do not deserve to even eat - God forbid - STEAK.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by seamus

This crapfest began back in the 90's when I watched manufacturing jobs leave one by one in my city. India, Mexico, Philippines, Guatemala, etc. My mother was working for Lee jeans, 20 years, came into work one morning and was told they were moving to Mexico. So she went to work at Carnation for 10 more years and then they packed up and left.

Luckily, my mom worked long enough to acquire a pension, and 401k and has been able to retire. But most people here in this country don't even have that opportunity.

The heart of our country, our jobs is gone, and it's left people scrambling. They are forced to work lower paying jobs, for lower wages, and now, most jobs, thanks to the affordable care act are going part time only. Even walmart has announced they will be mostly offering TEMP positions to workers.

The majority of our Americans here are not on welfare because this is what they want. Do people honestly believe that? The people I know who work and have to take SNAP so they don't starve are feeling very defeated and depressed. This is not what they want. Many of these people have gone back to college and now they are accumulating student debt. Will they get jobs when their degree is completed?

I am a mother, a snap recipient, full time college student, and work part time (because that is all the work I can find here). I make jewelry and sell it on the side on the internet and local gift shops. I'm struggling. The last week of the month, we barely have food in the house and my daughter eats first. I've lost 80lbs and now weigh 98 lbs at 5'5. I'm not well. I just can't afford to hardly make it. But I get up each day and I pray that all of my efforts will dig me out of this hole I'm in. I'm depressed, I feel defeated, you think I want to take SNAP? I enjoy that? The feeling of having to fill out those forms and use that card at the store? You have no idea man.

It's appalling to me that republicans think this is the life I wanted. this is the life I deserve, and now I'm really struggling that the Affordable care act went into effect and I'm missing more money from my checks. I can barely make it and now they want me to buy a health insurance plan? LOL What a joke. I won't qualify for the expanded medicaid, so someone please tell me how I will buy into a plan? I won't be able to, and at the end of the year I will be fined. And out more money.

That's the system for you. See. They keep me on the hamster wheel and I bust my butt and get up each day and struggle to reach out for more. I'm not lazy, by any means.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchildren

I hear what you are saying, and have had to make a lot of changes over the years myself.

I already went through the health issues from running on that hamster wheel myself, don't go there, make time somehow to keep fit, exercise will help cure the anxiety, take the kids along.

Just go do something besides stress about it, you are no good to your children if you are not there.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
When I read this article earlier today I was outraged. I joke and call Obama, King O and Michelle Queen B, but this is too much. While denying children access to the Palace, ooops the White House, and blaming it on the Sequester The King and Queen and the royal children take wonderful trips to far off lands. (Queen B said it was good to be home in Ireland...anything we don't know) Now the USDA has chosen to finance housing on Martha's Vineyard (isn't this a get away for the rich and celebrities) one of the favorite vacation spots of the Obama Clan, a place where only the rich play. Wine has now taken the place of lunches for children and milk for poor children, of course King O and certainly the Queen B want good wine from all districts of the kingdom. It is obvious that children really aren't terribly important to them, nor are the disabled or the working poor. I am waiting for our Queen to be quoted at a dinner party with the wealthy Jay-Z and Beyonce "Let them eat cake". Only thing is we can't respond the way the French did, this is still America after all!

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Granite

Too bad for your kids and grand kids...
You just stuck them royally with debt that will never be able to pay...right?
Yes, you got flags and stars...but at what cost?

Generally speaking, if debt is to be incurred at 1-2 trillion a year, as it's being run up right now? I see less than 100 billion in total costs for food programs to be something of a bargain in terms of the support this gives.

Although, as others note, reform to items which can be purchased would be a perfectly reasonable thing too. The register already says No if someone tries to pay for a variety of grocery store items with a Food Stamp benefit allotment, including hot deli food. The guidelines and regulations of the program are strict on the few things it does prohibit ...so obviously, it can be programmed to limit the luxury foods as well.

* BTW.. This comes up occasionally about the Flags and Stars and worth a short reply to, since others might think but not say the same thing about myself and others. At a certain point of activity that I passed a long time ago, these things add up whether I post or not. It's from the body of threads and posts I already have, always gaining more here and there and adding up by economy of scale. So, the numbers aren't half as meaningful above the 4 digit level as people might take them to be. If you think I really spend the time I do for symbols that do me absolutely no tangible good, you're nuts... lol... I do this because I truly love writing and I enjoy bringing and sharing information with others. It's why I'm pursuing what I am in school too.

edit on 20-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Some very simplistic thinking in this thread.

The problem is lost jobs in the manufacturing sector, over 5 million in the last 5 years.

These are jobs that used to support entire families, not just one person. And the ancillary jobs lost are another 5-8 million.

If you're looking for who to blame there is plenty to go around. Blame the knee jerk environmentalists who banned things like Freon and added ethanol to our gas, causing the costs to go up for everybody.

Blame the politicians, from both sides, for deregulating banking.

Blame the unions for making workers unaffordable for companies who now moved overseas.

Blame the laziness that seems to permeate American workers today. You don't see immigrants whining about no jobs, maybe because they're busy working 60 hours a week.

Or you could blame the lack of adversity facing most Americans over the last 40 years.

We need a good depression to get people up off their backsides.

And it's coming.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchildren

Stop assuming that all food stamp recipients are these low lifes who just want to live and die on the system.

Why draw conclusions and become defensive towards me? You clearly did not read my post, and you attack me on a groundless basis.

I said this in my last reply:

These women who have children solely for the free-ride.... that is who I am talking about.

Are all social program recipients like this? NO!!!!

I am simply attacking this known type of abuse that I have witnessed first-hand. You tell me how this is prejudice or hate. This type of abuse is real.

Did you intentionally get pregnant with the sole and primary intention of gaining a free-ride from social programs? No? Then I was never talking about you.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by jam321

Main reason I am no longer a Republican. And from what I see their hatred is only growing.

Really just because a program get's cut mans they 'hate' people ?

Seriously?

People really need to grasp the fact that throwing money at them doesn't mean they care especially when one read stuff like this:

Food stamps and Medicaid make up a large--and growing--chunk of the more than 100 million recipients. "Among the major means tested welfare programs, since 2000 Medicaid has increased from 34 million people to 54 million in 2011 and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps) from 17 million to 45 million in 2011," says the Senate Budget Committee. "Spending on food stamps alone is projected to reach $800 billion over the next decade."

www.gopusa.com...

800 billion over the next decade, 45 million Americans on Snap.

Of course it is going to increase significantly... it is in direct correlation to the significant increase in national debt, inflation, unemployment, etc. Look at the data:

This is not a Republican or Democrat problem, like the OP stated, this is a total politico=economic system problem. The whole system is screwed up, and that's the way it is supposed to be from the 99%'s perspective. All of those graphs, all of the legislation that causes that data, all just mean that a lot of people are getting very rich off of our suffering. It's so sad that we allow it to happen right in front of our faces.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
If a person is in need, I am a true believer in altruism.

I think many are shocked about my comments in this thread, because some may not understand how "food stamp" abuse occurs, and some may not know that there is a small percentile culture within our society that cultivates the mentality of:
[ Baby = Free Financial Ride In Life ] i.e., a baby is a meal ticket.

FOOD STAMP ABUSE:

When "Food Stamps" were still physical, paper currency, some abusers would trade them for real 'Federal Reserve Notes,' a.k.a. U.S. Dollars. The usual exchange rate was 2:1,... $100 Food Stamps bought you $50 U.S.D., however, it was also negotiable.

Since food benefits went to the digital card system, the abuse has simply evolved. A "food stamp" seller will give their debit card to a trusted buyer, along with their PIN #. This is why the buyer must be trustworthy, as to only spend the agreed upon amount and return the debit card to the real holder after use. The exchange rate has relatively remained the same.

"Professional Baby Factories"

A small percentile of women within our society have no ambitions or drives to pursue a career, or work, or even try to create a respectful and mutual relationship with a significant other. A small percentile have no real hopes or dreams, other than the instant gratification of "I want ___ now".

Because such tragic states of mind,... this small percentile of women within our society has found it culturally acceptable to intentionally get pregnant with a random "cute guy", knowing the reward will be a lifetime of benefits. Food stamps, cheaper housing, reduced utility bills, free health care, Child Tax Credit, vouchers galore, and the real potential for steady child support. This small percentile are professionals, and understand all of the variety of programs that are accessible.

In no way am I drawing the conclusion that all or most social program recipients are deadbeat leeches. No, no, no!

I have been saying this whole time,.... the above mentioned abuse and state of mind is what I am talking about.

Just because you or anyone else is an honest person in need of help, that does not change the fact that the above mentioned abuse is a factual reality and is deplorable.

edit on 20-6-2013 by Kgnow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by apokalupsis33vital

Yeah it is a Democrat and Republican thing as the problem is people think government exists to pay for their existence.

That is the problem as Government was not created for that, and the power of taxation was given to fund government not us.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
reply to post by Kgnow

Your user name is a misnomer.

You can work 40 hours a week at minimum wage and still qualify for food stamps. Who knew?

See also: Tens of millions of people who HAD good jobs before 2001, who lost them through political maneuvering and globalization, who haven't "pumped out the babies" or whatever Reagan-Era saw you are jigging on, and so on.

We spend 700 billion a year on a military to maintain our globalist hegemony, and the "intelligence" to keep the suckers guessin' and your answer is "let poor people work at McDonalds!"

Newsflash: Most of the poor on SNAP have jobs. Look it up.

Really? Not in Georgia. I'm on food stamps because I lost work when the economy tanked. So is my son's mother, and my father. We all came from a nice middle class area, and none of us, nor any relatives have ever been on food stamps , nor needed assistance , before 2008.

I agree with what you said, EXCEPT you can't get food stamps while being employed. My father lost them as SOON as he admitted he got ONE construction job (ONE job.....that paid less than $800, ONE job that when finished....left no further opportunities).

I know MANY people who work under the table.....simply because they can't AFFORD to work legit, minimum wage, or $10/hour.....get taxes taken out, lose all their benefits, etc.

Everyone wants to blame the poor people. Send them to war, make fun of them.....call them "baby factories" as one poster did. Of course, this ignorant poster probably doesn't realize that originally it was NORMAL to have tons of kids.....it is just in the modern world, filled with all this "great technology" and federal government, and United nations, etc etc......no families can AFFORD TO HAVE MORE THAN 2 CHILDREN THESE DAYS.

Sorry, but blaming the poor comes STRAIGHT from the mouth of the rich.....and then it goes down the chain.

The truth? The truth is that the government can't save us.....the poor aren't the problem......and things are ONLY going to get worse. Either we, as a nation-state collapse.....or we go further and further down the path of a totalitarian regime. Either way, it is BAD.

This is a problem MUCH bigger in scope than blaming any group of people. You can blame poor people, black people, republicans, democrats, corporations, the government, or whatever boogeyman you see fit......but the real problem is much more complex than that. For things to change for the positive.....our WHOLE direction would have to be reversed.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I think they should not save money and increase taxes and then you'll be contributing to society....

... but I suspect your already unemployed and expect everything without doing your part for it.

When you cannot afford a grocery item do you still buy it? If you do you're an idiot. If you don't you've just followed the same principle the government is demonstrating here in saving money....

... or would you rather pay higher taxes...... but I bet you don't pay any....Am I right?

edit on 20-6-2013 by MadMax7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

When I read this article earlier today I was outraged. I joke and call Obama, King O and Michelle Queen B, but this is too much. While denying children access to the Palace, ooops the White House, and blaming it on the Sequester The King and Queen and the royal children take wonderful trips to far off lands. (Queen B said it was good to be home in Ireland...anything we don't know) Now the USDA has chosen to finance housing on Martha's Vineyard (isn't this a get away for the rich and celebrities) one of the favorite vacation spots of the Obama Clan,

yep while the First Family are jetsetting around with the most ridiculous entourage of staff and military support, the people are starving and cannot find jobs, or at least good paying jobs that are up to the cost of living even in a minimal way.

Sounds like the Marxists don't walk their talk.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Apparently the Fed has decided to take some action, since Congress is not.

When Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke heralded a likely end to the lax policy of bond buying and stimulus spending, Wall Street traders were quick to see stock value losses across the board.

www.dw.de...

reality hits

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eldensword
LOL - "I KNOW people on these programs and it's all that gets them one month to the next right now" ...Key words "right now" but literal translation: "Perminently" because PEOPLE NEED TO GET THEIR EFFING FOOD THROUGH THEIR OWN EFFING EFFORT. Screw the GOP, yes, mostly screw the DEMS and libs and all of you groups of cardboard cutout losers waiting for your King to throw his scraps to you. Screw all that can't CHANGE THEIR GD SITUATION and get their food. It can be done, there IS opportunity EVERYWHERE, period.

Spoken like a person who was never in a REAL situation allowing for no upward mobility.
This ain't the movies, chump....this is real life.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I'm on disability for paranoid schizophrenia and I collect food stamps. Right now my area has experienced a major surge of people applying for food assistance. So much so that their cutting people off that need help. I'm having major problems with my local department of social services. Even though I'm on disability they keep cutting me off from programs that I depend on. They cut off my health insurance off for 8 months. I had to get my state represenative involved to get it back for me. I have a $1000 a month in medical costs. Now their cutting me off from other programs. Social security says I qualify for these programs they told me to seek legal representation.

My aunt has cancer and can't work they cut her food stamps off. My cousin works and can't survive on what he makes. He's far below the federal poverty level. By federal standards he qualifies for food stamps but they wont give them to him. They go to the same DSS office as me. They are really clamping down. Their cutting me off from services that I need. I'm about to pack up and move to another area because of it.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Without welfare programs that aid the very poor, the unemployed (as well as the lower-paid employed), disabled people, etc, society would not be a caricature of stability.

Currently in the UK there are 2.5 million unemployed, and this figure is what they admit to. They can massage the true figures (which I would put at between 4 to 6 million unemployed) due to the way they interpret who is and who isn't unemployed by the welfare their claim.

Now, even it it was 2.5 million, that is a lot of people (just under 3% of the population). If they suddenly decided to cut all welfare to those people, what do you expect them to do in order to survive? Would you expect them to remain all law-abiding and go hungry, lose their homes, not feed the kids, and all other manner of harshness being in that situation would bring?

No. They are going to decide to do whatever it takes to survive, and to hell with the consequences. I'm currently unemployed (first time in 35 years) and I am living on £142 every two weeks. Before signing onto a welfare program (which I never wanted to do) I lived off my redundancy package (which wasn't much) and hoped I would get a job. Truth is, the jobs are not there, not for my experience and skill sets, and I am pretty much qualified. I am in limbo to be honest. I can't go for lesser roles (I've tried), but no one will touch me.

Even though I have contributed to the system for 35 years straight, I fully understand that welfare programs should not be at a level where people can live comfortably, so that there is no incentive to return to, or go get a job. However, if you make it too hard, and you have an economy where jobs are scarce, people are going to look at alternatives legal and illegal, and that is how it would escalate into a society breaking down. If there was no welfare programs, you are guaranteed chaos, the kind you are seeing in Brazil right now.

The elite and wealthy know that as long as the majority of the population are living within various degrees of comfort, revolutions and anarchy can be staved off, especially as those whom are struggling are often prejudiced as pariahs and parasites upon society. Truth is, you either feed them, or they will come and get your food, and tear society down around your ears doing so if they have to.

The benefit of welfare programs is the semblance of a stable society, that is ultimately what you are paying for, and you remove them at your peril.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by elysiumfire

I have been of this opinion also, that social programs maintain stability.

I am also of the opinion that those social programs serve the same purpose as a "Company Store", where the money is just rolled right back at those who paid it out to the "Beneficiaries".

I believe it was called "Peonage" when people spoke English once.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by EViLKoNCEPTz
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

The states do handle SNAP/WIC/Cash Assistance at the individual level. 5he federal government just allots the funding to each state. The state chooses who gets benefits, how much they get and how long they get them.

So you think that the FedGov has no say in it at all?! What if the states KEPT their tax money instead of giving it to the FedGov. How much better off would they be? A lot better off. Why should mt state, Virginia, give the FedGov $1.00 only to get back $.40 cents? SNAP is a Federally controlled program.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Kgnow

I don't know any women like that and I have lived 62 years. If they exist, they are psychopaths. We feed prisons full of psychopaths.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join