It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The pain inflicted upon the American people is above partisanship. It's about FOOD now.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

An audit of the Massachusetts Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) issued Tuesday revealed millions of dollars in “questionable benefits,” including millions paid out to dead people. According to Massachusetts State Auditor Suzanne M. Bump, the audit identified 1,164 cases in which welfare recipients continued to receive benefits from six to 27 months after they had died. These dead individuals received $2.39 million in total.

Massachusetts paid out $2.39 million in welfare benefits to dead people

I am sure this is happening in more then one State.

Folks need to realize that the checks and balances are screwed up because of Government and how big and bloated it truly is.

Also, there are "professional" thief's out there that are abusing the system daily. I wish those who need help could get the help without Government being intrusive, but then again with some sort of Balance that is needed.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Now I'll tell ya, if they want to put forward real reform measures that mean something? I'm all for it and don't care who on Capital Hill comes up with it. In meaning something, I'd refer to going after what you cite there. Dead people, upper-middle class or others well outside the realm of who was ever meant to see a benefit like this and those who just outright fraud the system as a way of life.

Very much like Medicaid and Medicare. There is abuse so widespread, it's a wonder the programs function at all. To just cut them though, would kill people who did nothing wrong, right? I think the biggest shame of it is that real reform and real change is not easy or quick. It would take a year or two of serious and hard work to ferret out the people even the best of us would agree, need located and legally thumped on with fraud charges or worse. (The lottery winner awhile back comes to mind...and without her own big mouth? No one would likely have ever known)

What burns my buns and puts a kink in my floppy ears is how Politicians of all stripes go for sexy answers with great sounding tags for the media. 2 billion saved! ... Sounds great... When we all know they could never predict or guess at the true amount saved by truly hunting down the criminal side of the abuse. They chose a number and told their staff to find a way to write something which made it happen.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by sonnny1

Now I'll tell ya, if they want to put forward real reform measures that mean something? I'm all for it and don't care who on Capital Hill comes up with it. In meaning something, I'd refer to going after what you cite there. Dead people, upper-middle class or others well outside the realm of who was ever meant to see a benefit like this and those who just outright fraud the system as a way of life.

Very much like Medicaid and Medicare. There is abuse so widespread, it's a wonder the programs function at all. To just cut them though, would kill people who did nothing wrong, right? I think the biggest shame of it is that real reform and real change is not easy or quick. It would take a year or two of serious and hard work to ferret out the people even the best of us would agree, need located and legally thumped on with fraud charges or worse. (The lottery winner awhile back comes to mind...and without her own big mouth? No one would likely have ever known)

What burns my buns and puts a kink in my floppy ears is how Politicians of all stripes go for sexy answers with great sounding tags for the media. 2 billion saved! ... Sounds great... When we all know they could never predict or guess at the true amount saved by truly hunting down the criminal side of the abuse. They chose a number and told their staff to find a way to write something which made it happen.

Quoted for truth!

AMEN!!

Seriously, I see it the exact way. Enough of this quick fix, feel good moment. It burns me also. And You wonder why Congresses approval rating is at an all time low..........

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I have never needed food stamps but know hard working people with jobs that use them. Food stamps don't add up to anything!! I hate hearing Hannity and other republicans(I'm republican) say people living off the government are lazy like their getting a lot. Food stamps don't pay for crap. You maybe able to buy a gallon of milk, loaf of bread and some eggs lol how dare they!!!! while rich walstreet gets 85 billion a month and the rich get huge tax breaks

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I was under the impression that food stamps were a thing of the past. Now days people are issued a card and they can just go to the ATM and pull cash.

Besides it sounds like 2 billion in cuts is a ripple in an ocean.

I really have no sympathy for those living on the government tit. I applied for emergency assistance before because I really needed it to stay in my home. I was denied. Reason: I am a child support obliges. And yeah I lost my home.

Again I have no sympathy whatsoever. I make next to nothing and I make it work. Anybody want to argue I suggest they only take home what I make a year. It ain't pretty. Try living on 10 grand a year and let me know how it feels!

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by txinfidel

SNAP can only be used for food. You can't even buy toilet paper with it. Anything not approved is kicked back at ring up for a secondary total to be paid by other means like cash or debit card. Cash assistance can get cash back but they don't give you much. For the 4 of us the max we could have gotten for cash assistance was $160, $40 each for the month. We got denied for cash assistance due to too much income when our only income at the time was nothing. We were having to borrow money from our parents to feed our 2 sons and couldn't even get cash assistance. We got $180 a month in SNAP for 4 of us. Tell me how well you can feed 2 grown adults and 2 growing young children on $180 a month.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by EViLKoNCEPTz

Grow a garden?

I don't know you're perching to the choir here bud. Any money I bring home is the result of hard work.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by EViLKoNCEPTz

SNAP can only be used for food. You can't even buy toilet paper with it. Anything not approved is kicked back at ring up for a secondary total to be paid by other means like cash or debit card. Cash assistance can get cash back but they don't give you much. For the 4 of us the max we could have gotten for cash assistance was $160, $40 each for the month. We got denied for cash assistance due to too much income when our only income at the time was nothing. We were having to borrow money from our parents to feed our 2 sons and couldn't even get cash assistance. We got $180 a month in SNAP for 4 of us. Tell me how well you can feed 2 grown adults and 2 growing young children on $180 a month.

First, Sorry to hear of your plight.

I will say this. Its folks like you that deserve the Help. To say though that there are people not abusing the System though, would be a lie. You sound like you wouldn't abuse it at all, and definitely could use it but there are those that ARE Abusing it. I knew someone that was selling their card, selling groceries for their drugs outright. I have had folks at the Grocery store come up to me and ask if I wanted 40 dollars in food for 20 in cash. Its sad and sick that it can be abused outright that way, but it does happen. If I see it outright, I know its happening more then what the Government knows of.

I am a single Father, with sole Custody of my Children. I receive ZERO in Child support from my Ex's. I could easily get some sort of Assistance if I really wanted it. I refuse to live on the Government teet though. Now, if I really needed it, I wouldn't hesitate. Pride gets thrown out the window, when you are hungry, or your kids are hungry, that's for sure.

Hang in there.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
HEY! At least the military gets plenty of cash to waste.

Looks like they're about to get even more.

Good for them.

/sracasm

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
As always, well said Wrabbit.

snf

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Agreed some people deserve a little help. There are too many that abuse the system.

I have a few pointers though for those who would like to get out and live off the grid but not in the literal sense.

First and foremost is to get rid of any debts. No I am not suggesting paying them off til you're on a solid footing.

What I am suggesting is getting rid of any bills you can. Still paying for cable? How about a car payment?

Quit paying for cable if you can't afford it. Find other ways to entertain yourself. Car payment? Sell the thing if your not underwater and buy a used car cash. Now all you have to pay for is gas. I bought a used truck for $2 grand cash no payments but a few things here and there to fix her up. But I did those things with my money not money I borrowed and got her running like new. Not a bad investment for $2 grand compared to a 26,000 dollar car aye?

But more importantly I don't have ANY monthly bills, zero zilch noda. Everything I have has been payed for blood sweat tears and all.

That's how you get out.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
A country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

Attributed to Jeff Foxworthy:

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for entering and remaining in the country illegally — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If you have to get your parents’ permission to go on a field trip or to take an aspirin in school, but not to get an abortion — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If you MUST show your identification to board an airplane, cash a check, buy liquor, or check out a library book and rent a video, but not to vote for who runs the government — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If the government wants to prevent stable, law-abiding citizens from owning gun magazines that hold more than ten rounds, but gives twenty F-16 fighter jets to the crazy new leaders in Egypt — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If, in the nation’s largest city, you can buy two 16-ounce sodas, but not one 24-ounce soda, because 24-ounces of a sugary drink might make you fat — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If an 80-year-old woman or a three-year-old girl who is confined to a wheelchair can be strip-searched by the TSA at the airport, but a woman in a burka or a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If your government believes that the best way to eradicate trillions of dollars of debt is to spend trillions more — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If a seven-year-old boy can be thrown out of school for saying his teacher is “cute,” but hosting a sexual exploration or diversity class in grade school is perfectly acceptable — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If hard work and success are met with higher taxes and more government regulation and intrusion, while not working is rewarded with Food Stamps, WIC checks, Medicaid benefits, subsidized housing, and free cell phones — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If the government’s plan for getting people back to work is to provide incentives for not working, by granting 99 weeks of unemployment checks, without any requirement to prove that gainful employment was diligently sought, but couldn’t be found — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If you pay your mortgage faithfully, denying yourself the newest big-screen TV, while your neighbor buys iPhones, time shares, a wall-sized do-it-all plasma screen TV and new cars, and the government forgives his debt when he defaults on his mortgage — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If being stripped of your Constitutional right to defend yourself makes you more “safe” according to the government — you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

What a country!

How about we give God a reason to continue blessing America!
— with Jeff Foxworthy.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Lol are those Gary's mod graphics? Love it!

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by txinfidel

I agree actually.

You can save a lot if you live within your means. I teach my children a lesson everyday, when it comes down to saving money. I also teach them to be charitable. My son received 50 dollars for his Birthday from Grandpa. He had no problem giving that money to one of his friends that was recovering from Cancer. The Child had outrageous medical bills, and the family was struggling. He didn't even blink, and didn't ask me to do it. I was proud of him when he told me that's what he had done. Many in his classroom did the same thing. My son thought of his friend, before he even thought of himself, or his own needs. When my children have money, they tend to buy necessities, not crap like toys. They save more then they spend because they remember the bad times we went through. Not having a place to stay, or food is something my kids and me have been through.

Yes, you don't need a lot to survive. Ive lived in my car, so I would know. It sucks, but all you can really do is take one day at a time and have some faith.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

That's awesome! I tend to think the more you put out the more you get.

Or as the bible says, give to those in need when no one is watching. Not because you not are giving to leave a good impression but you are giving out of the kindness in your heart.

One time I had a bum ask me for money outside of McDonald's for a cheeseburger. Wouldn't you know I gave home exact change so that he could go and buy one. Did he? No. Instead he hit me up for more money on my way out ( as if he hadn't seen me before). I considered beating my money back out of him but I turned the other cheek.

Another time I was hit up by this church that solicited people on the street intersections for shelters and used items and donations for women and children. I turned to the guy and said, but what if its a man who needs shelter? When you offer those same services to men I will donate. Wouldn't you know the next month they had restructured to serve men women and children and I gladly donated.

Moral of the story, sometimes it's ok to to give. Other times it can be a greater benefit not to give anything other than good advice!

Expanding on that, sometimes when you give too much for the wrong reasons you can be enabling someone to keep practicing bad habits that are a drain on society. If I were the government I would have jut given that bum another handout. But that was a lesson for me and I don't just give to anyone with their hands out after that.
edit on 20-6-2013 by txinfidel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

At your age you should have a better idea about the real problem...

I heard the crap you wrote, spewed forth for the last 40 years or so. It hasn't worked out that way has it? Think it's time for a new plan yet?

The plan is to enact the failed promises and work toward uplifting the human condition... It is truly sad that the primary concerns after all this time especially the last 2 millenniums are still the same, security about a minimum of safety be it personal safety; water and food safety or shelter human society was built to address them and it has been an utterly failure in solving them outside of a minority of people that have mostly been of the same class, even family related or have been uplifted by cunning and violence.

The solution is simple as i stated but society has never provided it, even if we seem closer to it, my guess is that it will forever remain a mirage and illusion, and that by design.

By providing good education, promoting good morals and responsibility, empowering parents and access to prophylactics and other family planing setups and laws (from adoption to abortion).

Guaranteeing the minimum to all would make it impossible to have excesses; it would be like promulgating a maximum wage/revenue, end ownership rights or terminate (or extremely limit) inheritances or really start to protect the common good, starting by basic human rights to our planet biosphere...

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It should be harder to qualify for, though. One essential truth about the current program is that you have people (albeit a low percentage... probably in the 3% of overall recipients range
) who collect assistance they not only do not need, but for many of them they don't use it properly, either. I have personally seen schemes and scams in my community in which a SNAP recipient will use their card to purchase food for an event which they will be reimbursed for (say a church event). They use their card, present a receipt, and then are reimbursed in cash or a check which they then turn around and buy smokes or gas with.

As long as the cuts to these programs come from cleaning up the disgraceful abuse of the program, I am 100% behind this.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

We're off SNAP now, were on it about 10 months after our 2nd son was born and my wife lost her job. I had taken some time off before he was born cuz my oldest has medical issues and I was taking him to therapy and Dr's appointments pretty much 5 days a week 4 days some weeks. It took a while for me to get back to work since I'm an independent insurance adjuster so self employed and had to get some contracts built up to the point work was steady again. It was embarrassing as # using that card, I did everything I could to palm it so no one would see it and only had food stuff in the cart so I wouldn't have to pay the balance. You have no idea how completely rude some people can be, right to your face. And I'm not a small or timid looking man at 6'7" 225lbs with a full biker beard and shaved head with my arms tattooed. People still had the balls to say # about us and our kids. When my wife was working she was making around $100k a year as a bartender in a high end bar working 12 or 14 hour shifts, but she didn't get and health benefits so our oldest sons medical expenses were coming out of pocket. When she lost her job we lost everything, had to eventually move in with my father after I couldn't keep up the rent on our apartment. I did all kinds of crap to make money for my family, some illegal, and I had no qualms about doing what I needed for my wife and kid's. I don't know if that makes me a good or bad person and I don't care as long as they are safe and fed. We went from upper middle class to below lower class, basically indigent and homeless. We saw the dark side of the recession that's for sure. I guess the upside is I was so persistent with getting new work contracts we're better off now than we were before and I can still stay home since I have a home office.

I get pissed when they want to cut # like SNAP before their own spending. It's the kids of this country that will suffer the most from those cuts and that makes me sad, and I get angry when I get sad over things that are avoidable. Especially when some rich # who's kid's will never know what it's like to be hungry, and will never have to cry themselves to sleep because they couldn't feed their children are making the decisions for those in that situation.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Thank you, Wrabbit! This is ridiculous! The politicians in Washington D.C. are complete assholes. They are not representing anyone but themselves and Big Business.

I know poor people who are surviving on food stamps. I know college graduates who can't get a decent job. My room-mate is a teacher, and he is already $10,000 in debt - and he has to pay a lot of taxes - that APPARENTLY DO NOTHING TO HELP ANYONE??

I am living on a budget of less than $900 a month, and guess how many food stamps I get? $17.00! OMG! I fail to see anyone who is benefiting from the incompetence in Washington.

Not the poor, not the middle-class.
edit on 20-6-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by EViLKoNCEPTz

Man, that's some rough S..., but I hear you though. Im glad things are a bit better though. My pops in the 70's had to get Food Stamps cause his Job went on Strike. 3 kids mortgage, no insurance. He applied and got the stamps in the mail. 23 dollars. No lie. My dad is a proud guy. NEVER asked for anything, nor did he even want the whole food stamp thing. He was so pissed at the meager amount they gave him. He went through hoops to get them too. It only lasted a few months but I know what it looks like when a proud man just cant accept the whole "help" thing. Especially when all his life he was the sole provider. That left a lasting impression on me. I guess it also made me think differently when I was on that end of the spectrum.

Yes, these politicians can care less because they will NEVER have to go without. Its easy for those to say you can get by, when they never have had to. I wouldn't be ashamed though brother, if you need the help. Accepting the help when you need it, and pay it forward when you have some to give. Its something I live by. If I didn't get support from my family friends and total strangers I don't know if I would have gotten my children back, or If I would be here today. That's as real as I can be, you know?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join