It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The pain inflicted upon the American people is above partisanship. It's about FOOD now.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by riiver

Cashing in your food stamps for $7 on every $10 is as easy as using it for Food.lol We have so many stores, bodegas here in the bronx that swipe your card for a 100 dollar charge & hand you 70 bucks. Whenever one gets caught there are 20 more willing to take the risk. And they rarely get caught.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
And we thought Bush was bad.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aazadan

Originally posted by Eldensword
This is staggering - Just amazing, stats, and graphs and this and that...It still doesn't make one, simple fact go away for your case - Opportunity is EVERYWHERE and more abundant than what the average, FS collecting shmo can "deal with". Example: What was the opportunity for the slaves coming off of the ships to US? Depends on how you look at it, right? Life SUCKED ASS for them in Africa - They weren't leaving luxury cars and mansions behind, right? The circumstances were terrible, the slave owners AND sellers, wrong to do so, but eventually, these people kicked slavery's butt and many of them gained property and wealth and OPPORTUNITY WITHOUT HANDOUTS.

You can argue that there is no opportunity for people today until you're blue in the face and I'll continue to show you where they can EFFING MOVE AWAY from that demographic, yes...don't argue, a person can change their location, dispite how "beat down by the man" you lefty, softies think they are...There are things to do, dollars to scrape together and improve the situation, EVERYWHERE for the thinking, innovative human.

Now, let's argue about the individual's perception of "opportunity". Here inlies the whole flippin' problem...
edit on 21-6-2013 by Eldensword because: 5P3LLYNG Pr0blumbs

I'm going to say to you, the same thing I say to everyone who argues that there's opportunity out there. I'm 30 years old and hold college degrees in game design, web programming, digital art, and computer science. I also hold several certificates such as Maya, 3ds Max, Autocad, Adobe, MySQL, Ubuntu, A+, Cisco, and a few others. There is no opportunity around here, I work as a computer tutor at the local community college (a job that pays below minimum wage and has no room for advancement at all, McDonalds would be a step up had they not told me I was overqualified). I have of course applied to several jobs out of state, and even been offered a couple however when they hear I need some money upfront to pay for moving expenses they quickly look elsewhere. Why pay extra for an employee, when they can hire one for less? My resume sadly doesn't demand signing bonuses because my actual work experience is quite poor due to this area having no opportunity.

So here's my offer to you, you know my education and skill set. I'm willing to work. Give me a starting bonus that will cover my moving expenses and I'll work for you at a pretty low wage even. Fail to do so, and admit you're unwilling to put your money where your mouth is and actually provide that opportunity you claim is out there.

This guy speaks the truth.

To the person who said "There is a difference between being poor, and being lazy". Well, to you , I say.....the PROBLEM is everyone and their mother thinks THEY know the difference....and they judge people accordingly......and most of the time they judge based on stereotypes.....bigotry.....bias....etc.

I come from a hard working family....we are on food stamps as I mentioned. My mother and father, who have both worked since they were younger than 17, and are both in their late 50s....are unemployed. I'm in my mid-20s, with a child, unemployed. It isn't for a lack of trying.

Also, NO, you can't buy beer, go to a strip club, or doing any of these insane things you guys are claiming w/ food stamps.

It is funny when people talk about "entitlement". They make it seem like everyone who is poor is just so HAPPY to be POOR, living on FOOD STAMPS....UNABLE to find work. Get real.

There is nothing comfortable or pleasant about it. No, we can't go the strip club with our EBTs.....no, we don't get cash back.

The government gives us a tiny bit of money each month.....that we can ONLY use on food products......and if we get ANY WORK AT ALL....we lose ALL OF OUR BENEFITS.

Some people milk the system....sure......that is a given in ANY system. But you guys who rant and rave about "entitlement" and "free loaders" are more parasitical in the way you think.....than most of the people you judge so harshly.

Try walking a day in someone elses shoes, before you try to crap on a whole bunch of people here. Nobody wants to be poor.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I have read quite a few of the responses, and I wish I could say that things are going to get better, but I doubt it.

Maybe the government can go back to the mid 60s and reinstate the commodities program. Allot each family food, not food stamps, not EBT cards, but a months worth of food based on the size of the qualifying family. I don't remember everything (I was seven at the time) that my mom would bring home from her trip to a government location for commodities once a month, but here are a few: powered milk, powdered eggs, oatmeal, flour, sugar, corn meal, canned goods, 1 gallon cans of Karo syrup, peanut butter, etc. I know the government can do even better now a days. Just a thought, and it would end a lot of abuse and the people who genuinely need food, will get food.

FYI, a friend gave me a package of government cornmeal back in the 90s (yes, she was getting government help and working, wages vary, some people need all the help they can get). Anyway, it was like nothing you can buy in the store! The quality was beyond awesome and the taste was phenomenal. I am still looking for that cornmeal in the stores, no luck so far.

Blessing,
Yesterday

P.S. I forgot the rice, split peas, all sorts of dried beans (pinto, white, red). I don't ever remember being hungry in those days.
edit on 22-6-2013 by yesterdaysreality because: Adding more info.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

I found your cry fest hilarious. Especially the part about a web jockey needing a signing bonus. My buddy borrowed 200 bucks and moved to Tacoma Washington from San Francisco to start a job as a web developer. He lived in his jeep for two weeks until he got his first pay check. He has been at that job for 3 years and just bought a condo. You turned down work...I feel naught for you.

Edit, and as far as I know EBT cards are food stamps no? I absolutely see a guy buy cigs every morning with them. I'll try and film it Monday.
edit on 22-6-2013 by raifordko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I suppose that toilet paper can't be purchased with food stamps/SNAP/EBT for identification reasons.

As in being able to identify the funky butt who can get funds to buy food, but can't buy toilet paper to wipe his ass.

I always wondered why nobody really seems to have brought that up, but I suppose there is the possibility that one could buy tons of TP and sell it at a loss for cash.

I used to have 3 room mates on EBT, I had a job and it fell on me to buy TP, that adds up after awhile, especially since they were all drunks and had the #s all the time.

Just a observation, I still don't condemn people for being unfortunate even though I have seen people abuse the system first hand.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by raifordko

EBT cards can be food stamps. They can also be TANF (what most people think of when they hear 'welfare'), which is a cash grant, and here in Missouri they can also be unemployment benefits. They can be ANY of these things, or any combination of them. If you see someone using an EBT card to buy cigs or any other non-food thing, they are using either TANF funds or unemployment $ which are also accessed by using the EBT card, but are NOT food stamps. Hope that clarifies it for you.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   

That's ridiculous. I couldn't get the video to load though. I will try watching it later. It's bad here in Florida,as far as the food stamps go. Don't get me wrong it's okay to need assistance.What I can't stand is those that abuse it.And those who get the cash assistance. Makes me want to scream.Especially when I see people buying junk food,such as candy,soda,chips with it.And I'm talking $20-100 worth.Yes you read that right. Also,there's a few restaurants here that accept EBT! I can barely afford to take my daughter out to ,mcdonalds,yet you're eating at a restaurant? Am I the only one seeing the issue here?!

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
PEOPLE VOTE TO HOUSE SALARIES BY $1 BILLION

www.examiner.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobinB022
reply to post by Kgnow

Too many women are happily sleeping around without a second thought regarding the integrity of the man....

I think the integrity of the man speaks for itself in these situations, after all.. the women aren't sleeping with themselves.

It's a combination of both. But the point I think he was making by saying that is it's the women who are doing the complaining about the man they slept with.As if they didn't know the dude was a piece of trash.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by raifordko
reply to post by Aazadan

I found your cry fest hilarious. Especially the part about a web jockey needing a signing bonus. My buddy borrowed 200 bucks and moved to Tacoma Washington from San Francisco to start a job as a web developer. He lived in his jeep for two weeks until he got his first pay check. He has been at that job for 3 years and just bought a condo. You turned down work...I feel naught for you.

Where did I say I turned down work? I said they turned me down. It's nice that your buddy was able to get $200 and move a few miles. I live in Southeast Ohio and don't have a car. It would cost me considerably more to move, money I quite simply don't have and neither do many others in my position. Try having no assets and almost no income, the thousands necessary to move quite simply aren't there.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by raifordko
reply to post by Aazadan

Edit, and as far as I know EBT cards are food stamps no? I absolutely see a guy buy cigs every morning with them. I'll try and film it Monday.

Your gonna go out and film a guy buying cigs? Why don't you go the whole hog and follow him around all day snooping to see what he spends? Then I guess maybe report him to the authorities, if he does something you don't like. Like the good citizen you sound to be.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
America is the richest nation on earth yet 1% of the population owns 90% of the wealth and 40% of the population can't afford to eat. People actually have the audacity to blame those at the bottom? While your blaming all of those scum sucking leaches at the bottom those at the top are taking more from you then those at the bottom ever will. The rich get all tax breaks and laws written in their favor. They have convinced some people to actually blame societies problems on the poor. The stupidity and ignorance never ceases to amaze me.

edit on 22-6-2013 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by GoodOlDave

The post by the OP stinks of blind devotion to the Democrat party ideology

With all due respect, if the post by the OP stinks of blind devotion to the Democrat party ideology, yours smells of blind devotion to the Republican party ideology.

The government..and yes that includes both the Democrats AND Republicans...have been spending money on pork barrel projects ever since the first day the US gov't existed

I agree that this/these issues involve both parties. But you go on to say that;

Sooner or later this nonstop party had to end and now the waiter is coming with the check.

So, which party is that?

Quite frankly all I see here is more divisiveness, and this kind of talk gets us nowhere. We all know that both parties have issues and that no one party is going to please any of us, so wouldn't it be safe to say that we need to stop with the dividing and get together with some real answers that we can all live with..

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
America is the richest nation on earth yet 1% of the population owns 90% of the wealth and 40% of the population can't afford to eat. People actually have the audacity to blame those at the bottom? While your blaming all of those scum sucking leaches at the bottom those at the top are taking more from you then those at the bottom ever will. The rich get all tax breaks and laws written in their favor. They have convinced some people to actually blame societies problems on the poor. The stupidity and ignorance never ceases to amaze me.

edit on 22-6-2013 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

republican austerity....10 billion cut from food stamps, 30 billion added for a fence, and Mexican/American border patrol agents....yep, sounds about right

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Anyone that isn't willing to pay less then $40 a year to ensure that no one goes hungry, that we have food stamps, school lunches and nutrition programs for poor mothers is either ignorant of the facts, or selfish. Because that's all it is, for someone making 50k a year. It's $36 dollars a year. Even if there is some fraud, that's a small price to pay to ensure that no one goes hungry. It makes me sick that anyone would resent feeding people.

Funny, we don't hear as much about the $275 dollars that would be paid to fight all these ridiculous wars.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

You forced them to turn you down by asking for a signing bonus...if you get a job, you find a way to get to it. Hitchhiking is free bro.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Maybe in Ohio, but in Cali there are a crap load of people who are single, healthy and young driving around expensive cars who are on food stamps.

Maybe some of those people already had those cars before the SHTF in their lives. I remember living in the middle income bracket one day and the next day I was low income. I had no help, and my (then) husband left me with only 2 dollars and some change. My best friend was kind enough to help me buy groceries, and my aunt helped me with a months rent, but I couldn't count on other people to support me.My friend had her family and my aunt lived on a fixed income.

I was looking for a job, but in the meantime I had two boys to feed (aged 6 & 9). I went to the welfare office where I filed for welfare and food stamps, and lived on that for over a month until I had a job. It was a humiliating experience to go through that and even though this was back in '93 the memory is still clear in my mind. I had a decent car that was paid for and he took the truck. So, whenever I filed for welfare I had a decent car & clothes.. these things don't suddenly get old looking overnight, but a bank account can empty pretty quick.

Just to add perspective. Not all people who are broke will look poor.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
"There is a REASON so many are on food stamps! HALF of it sits in the White House.....but the OTHER half sits in control of the House and won't deem it worthy of their precious time to even WRITE a budget for this nation."

Budgets must originate in the senate, which is controlled by whom?? Not to say reps are blameless, but rather, you are just a dem hack who wants to feign hatred for both sides. jmho

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobinB022

Maybe in Ohio, but in Cali there are a crap load of people who are single, healthy and young driving around expensive cars who are on food stamps.

Maybe some of those people already had those cars before the SHTF in their lives. I remember living in the middle income bracket one day and the next day I was low income. I had no help, and my (then) husband left me with only 2 dollars and some change. My best friend was kind enough to help me buy groceries, and my aunt helped me with a months rent, but I couldn't count on other people to support me.My friend had her family and my aunt lived on a fixed income.

I was looking for a job, but in the meantime I had two boys to feed (aged 6 & 9). I went to the welfare office where I filed for welfare and food stamps, and lived on that for over a month until I had a job. It was a humiliating experience to go through that and even though this was back in '93 the memory is still clear in my mind. I had a decent car that was paid for and he took the truck. So, whenever I filed for welfare I had a decent car & clothes.. these things don't suddenly get old looking overnight, but a bank account can empty pretty quick.

Just to add perspective. Not all people who are broke will look poor.
I hear this BS all the time about people on food stamps driving nice cars or what ever. It is federal law that to collect food stamps you can't have more then $6000 in assets. To collect food stamps your car can not be worth more then $6000 and you have to pass an asset test. I get food stamps because I've been found legally disabled by a federal judge and I have 15 years of medical documentation. I use my step dads $50k truck to go grocery shopping all the time. I get all kinds of looks from people after paying for my food with food stamps and they see me getting into it. People are idiots and just looking to demonize food stamp recipients.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join