It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mask ban: Canada's veiled protesters face 10 years' jail

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Mask ban: Canada's veiled protesters face 10 years' jail

rt.com

A new Canadian law forbids people from wearing a mask or covering their face during a riot or so-called “unlawful assembly” in the country. The law carries a maximum ten-year sentence for anyone convicted of physically concealing their identity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Okay this is messed up. Ten years for covering your face at a protest... It should be someone's right to hide their face or their idenity. It would be one thing if you are doing something crazy like what was happening in Turkey or currently in Brazil. But if you are just protesting there shouldn't be an issue.

The newly approved bill, institued Wednesday, expands police authority into unlawful assemblies, which is defined by Canadian law as a party of three or more people who “disturb the peace tumultuously” or “needlessly and without reasonable cause provoke other persons to disturb the peace tumultuously.”

What do we think about this ATS?

-SAP-

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19-6-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Just think how that can be twisted around. Remember OWS? the mayor said after weeks that they were to leave or they would face charges of unlawful assembly.

Even if they are peacefully assembled, unlawfully, they can get ten years. Its always cold in canada, how are they going to enforce that.

The word is going absolutely ape ship!

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

It can go either way in this case. However I think that it's just crazy that they are going to throw 10 years in prison at someone for protesting their own way. Maybe if it was violent and they are attacking the police, but often times people hide their face during peaceful protests.

Just seems loony to me.

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

It is crazy, but then again the days of personal freedoms are drawing to a close.
With all the ship that the US government gets away with, its no wonder we haven't seen this kind of behavior more often.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
This is literally straight out of v for Vendetta. Be aware.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Ten years for covering your face.
It sounds more like ten years because you are opposed to what they are implementing.

Got a question. Does Canada have riot police? I'm assuming so with the police world we live in now but
do they wear masks? How many years do they get again?
We are seeing this way too often nowadays, the great ol sayin' DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Can you imagine how many drunk mask-wearing kids will be arrested on Halloween if they're “disturbing the peace tumultuously” :O

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Cazmer

They can call it whatever they want to. Covering your face or opposing them.. Either way it's just another thing they are taking away from people. Watching freedoms disappear. It seems everyday something is happening somewhere in the world, and it's not for the positive.

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Welcome

they passed this on the Greek guinea pig a few years back

Since they managed that in Greece you can rest assured that its going to be the norm everywhere soon

Norm.... damn.....

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

The powers that be are getting paranoid with all the protesting going on around the world they are trying to find anyway to keep control.

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Its a non violent crime and I really hope it goes to court, its against human rights, and common sense.

The one positive is that most of the things that turn bad in protests are started by the police wearing masks, and those paid off by the so called "authorities", they're really just our paid mcdonald worker minions and they need to get back in line.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Its BS and Ill protest if someone gets charged, I got the itch to, you can feel it in the air

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Technically it does say...

A new Canadian law forbids people from wearing a mask or covering their face during a riot or so-called “unlawful assembly” in the country.

A riot is not a peaceful protest...

We have the right to peaceful protest... in which case... why would one cover his face?

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

The problem I have with it is their definition. Technically anyone (three or more) can fall under this even if they are not doing anything wrong.

The newly approved bill, institued Wednesday, expands police authority into unlawful assemblies, which is defined by Canadian law as a party of three or more people who “disturb the peace tumultuously” or “needlessly and without reasonable cause provoke other persons to disturb the peace tumultuously.”

Just a thought though I am sure that would be a rare occurance...

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

They can call it whatever they want to. Covering your face or opposing them.. Either way it's just another thing they are taking away from people. Watching freedoms disappear. It seems everyday something is happening somewhere in the world, and it's not for the positive.

-SAP-

They can call it whatever they want to.
Agreed. Its funny the government can pull a law outta
thin air once something bugs them. Literally any law they want.

Covering your face or opposing them.
I honestly think its cause this bothers them or opposes them.

Either way it's just another thing they are taking away from people.
These things are privacy our freedoms. Again I agree with you.

Watching freedoms disappear.
Agreed.

It seems everyday something is happening somewhere in the world, and it's not for the positive.
Alot would say thats just life but it doesn't have to be. I think we are stuck in this surveilance state
and not be able to get out it's only gonna get worse. I hate that i feel that way.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Well Canadian winters can be brutal... I would be pissed if they banned masks...

Though, in the type of situation this law is aimed at... the people that are looking to cause trouble are usually the ones with masks.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I agree, but this law can be abused like many others. That's the message I'm trying to get across.

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

That air sure is nasty this week...

Right, your honour?

Ahh I knew they'd hit masks up eventually... but I see this making a big mess all over the court system somehow.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Technically it does say...

A new Canadian law forbids people from wearing a mask or covering their face during a riot or so-called “unlawful assembly” in the country.

A riot is not a peaceful protest...

We have the right to peaceful protest... in which case... why would one cover his face?

To avoid being profiled and possibly persecuted.

It is pretty easy to ID everyone at a protest with todays computing
power and facial recognition software. Some do not feel comfortable
with that.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join