It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"God bless Amerika" Lil Wayne tramples american flag in his video

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

LOL You hit the nail on the head. Thanks for that reply. You took the words right out my mouth.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions
reply to post by g146541

Sure, since ignoring things always makes them go away! That's part of the problem nowadays. We turn a blind eye to too much.

Something like this, YES!!
This is just an idiot seeking attention and nobody has been hurt.
Some things you can indeed ignore, such as a ranting whining child looking for attention.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Perhaps if the bible clutching uber pseudo patriots worshiped ideals instead of idols people would have no need to rail against the policies of society & government.

K~

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
It's just a rag, no need to even think about the old men who stand with one hand over their heart and cry when it passes. No need to remember the men that tied it to a metal pipe and raised it on top of Mount Suribachi under withering enemy fire. No need to remember the men it inspired to victory at the Chosin Reservoir, San Juan Hill, Belleau Wood, Chattanooga, or even Fort McHenry.

I suppose we don't need anything to respect anymore, nothing to follow, nothing to inspire us.

The universe is a huge toilet bowl, and the Earth and all of its inhabitants are swirling down it like a turd. And nobody can say we didn't ask for it.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I'm a vet. While this annoys me, I fought for his right to do it.

For those that say the flag is special (and I think it is), why is it plastered on everything, from Budweiser (foreign owned) to bikinis (made in china)?

But hey, thats what happens with free speech.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by stormson

For those that say the flag is special (and I think it is), why is it plastered on everything, from Budweiser (foreign owned) to bikinis (made in china)?

I think there is a difference between a reference to the flag, ie; bikinis, bunting, streamers, etc, and putting a slit down the middle of a real flag and wearing it like a poncho like some other Hollywood type did last year or the year before, or purposely stepping on it.,

I understand that you fought for this man's right to speak freely, but you also fought for mine; and I say he's a dirtbag, and if he ever did disrespected the flag around me I would make him wish he hadn't.

There a difference also between having the right to do a thing, and doing the right thing. Just because you can do something doesn't automatically make it OK.,
edit on 20-6-2013 by IRockTheBox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
this doesn't have anything to do with what everyone is thinking while watching this.. it has everything to do with a bad upbringing, bad parents.. etc.. because for the majority of today's youths don't have a clue as to the history of what a flag actually represents so if anything lil wayne is guilty of it's ignorance.

you can tell by the video that lil wayne doesn't notice, acknowledge or even seem like he's stepping on the flag in anger or protest at all so it's definitely a lack of knowledge matter.

so before all the white power enthusiasts break out their lynch box grab bag of tricks please have a "smart" friend explain to you what actually happened.

i am in no way defending lil wayne's action and if he didn't realize what he was doing as wrong then one of the many entourage members in his posse should have jumped in and fixed the issue because they would have known immediately that this would hurt his image and by that would be less money for the many leaches.

i just can't take dumb people who love to hate because hate is like cancer, hate begets hate and if you look for reasons to hate.. you will find them.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by stormson

Well said!

I'm frankly shocked at all the people in this thread who are blatantly opposed to free speech. Hey folks—why not rip up the rest of the Constitution while you're at it?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
It's a flag, a rag, a piece of cloth. People seriously need to get a life, there are far more important things in this world than a meaningless rag!

It does show though that the programming works, with all the good little drones expressing their "patriotism"!

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
What the last guy said.

You really need to get over your colorfull cloth.

If you were less hypocritical and agenda driven, you would be more up in arms about the fact that the rag he's walking on is made in China.

Also, you may believe that stars and stripes are "the thing", but please remember hoohah gang, this same symbol is painted under your drones and jets, and on the other side of the world from you, men, women and children live in fear of that partriotic pattern and the indiscriminate death it sows.

Honor what deserves to be, not what you were taught to.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havox

Originally posted by 3nLiGhT3n
"gettin' head in the oval office, i change the stars on the flag into crosses"

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Are these lyrics to the song? Why am I not surprised?

I'm sorry, but this is ignorant. He's referring to Bill Clinton in the first line, and take what you will from the second line. So what are you talking about here? You're not surprised he has political lines in a song called ''God Bless Amerika"? Think first. Type after.

To the OP, no matter how it makes you feel, it is VERY UN-AMERICAN to be against his free speech.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of Wayne, but his political song will reach out to millions. To all the dissenters, what have you done on this scale?

edit on 20-6-2013 by astronomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Ummmmm, why is this even up for debate?

It's obvious that he isn't trampling on the flag intentionally, it just got in the way.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
The thing that perhaps scares me most about this is not the guy trampling on a flag, it's the over the top nationalism that comes with this kind of attack on an artist.

In a country where the people cheer on their so-called freedoms and liberties, so many are willing to trample on someone's right to be creative. Whether he meant to do it or not is neither here nor there, art is supposed to make you think, it's supposed to make you question, it's supposed to sometimes be in your face and cause discussion.

I can understand why so many people fail to grasp what art actually is, I mean, just look at the state of music in general and it's hard to pick out things that actually mean anything! Most of it is made for karaoke, sung by digitally manipulated voices from people who actually have far less talent in their whole body than a street performer has in their smallest digit.

It's one thing to have pride in your country, and to remember those who genuinely did fight to defend what's right (not since WW2 has that actually happened), but this kind of worship of a symbol for the sake of nationalism is distasteful to me.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ismail
Honor what deserves to be, not what you were taught to.

I just wanted to repeat this line in a quote, because it is perhaps the most pertinent thing in this whole discussion.

How many of those here screaming about this have ever been to a war memorial? How many have walked through the rows of thousands of markers to show their respects to those who actually did die defending their country? How many of those b*tching about this have ever donated to a veterans charity?

I'm betting not many have. This is too much about a symbol and irrational adoration of it because of indoctrination.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

If you REALLY support the first amendment, you support it for everyone and every expression. That's what freedom is. Freedom for those with whom you disagree, as well as those with whom you agree.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Homeboy ruined the rap game (lil wayne). what a lil puta.

Wish Wu Tang or the Shalin Style would come back. True hip hop.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Jesus H Christ!

It's not an anarchist song. I said "the government" not "government."

I don't know why I'm wasting time talking to someone who will comment and criticize something they haven't listened to.

That's the definition of ignorance!

Stay ignorant ATS!

edit on 19-6-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

I'[m just reporting what was going on, don't kill the messenger. I'm not criticizing the song, i'm criticizing the burning of the American flag, or simulation of burning it, which is no different than burning a person in effigy, something done quite often in the 18th and 19th centuries.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

If you REALLY support the first amendment, you support it for everyone and every expression. That's what freedom is. Freedom for those with whom you disagree, as well as those with whom you agree.

What does the first amendment have to do with burning the American flag?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.[

Where does it say right to free action in there anywhere? Burning a flag or trampling it isn't speaking with your mouth, or holding words on a posterboard. This isn't speech being critical of the government. They burn flags because they don't believe this country is what it was meant to represent anymore. This country isn't the government regime, it's in the ideals of it's people and the ideals of the individuals who thought to establish this nation and have it's own autonomy.
edit on 20-6-2013 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
What does the first amendment have to do with burning the American flag?

It's an expression of free speech. The Supreme Court ruled it as free speech in Texas v. Johnson (1989).

Verdict Delivered: The Supreme Court ruled that Johnson’s constitutional rights and civil liberties had been violated as a result of his arrest; the Supreme Court claimed that expression without illegality – or the intent to incite illegal recourse – is both protected and lawful under the Constitution - See more at: cases.laws.com...

They burn flags because they don't believe this country is what it was meant to represent anymore.

Maybe that's why YOU would burn a flag, but I'm pretty sure each person has their own thoughts, reasons and meanings for what they do, that may not align with yours. It's free speech. It doesn't matter why they do it, unless, as stated above, it was with the intent to incite illegal recourse.

That is freedom.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
does the flag even represent what you think it does anymore anyways?

Not only that, but - he is a moron, and a punk, anyway - but, anyone who gets upset at this is forgetting the the very symbol he is trampling gives him the right to do so,

Funny, for so many reasons.

(and, by 'funny' I mean stupid)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join