It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Xbox One Will Not Require Internet, Restrict Used Games

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Xbox One Will Not Require Internet, Restrict Used Games
No more game lending restrictions, daily check-ins or region locks.

(IGN.com)-Microsoft has changed its policies regarding Xbox One’s internet requirements, used game restrictions and more.

Contrary to the details announced earlier this month, Microsoft has now confirmed news originally reported on Giant Bomb that Xbox One will not require an internet connection to play offline games or need to check in every 24 hours; instead, internet will only be required when initially setting up the console.

www.ign.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I refuse to be That Guy for the tenth time today, someone else say it for me please.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Ah...so the survey revealed the sheeple are not quite that far gone...yet!

Give it a couple of years for pressure to be placed on the competition and they'll try again.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Black_Fox

I think I read somewhere that PlayStation will not be restricting games. So I would think it's a bad move on the part of Xbox. Xbox sales will definitely wain as consumers switch to the unrestricted game system.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

I think I missed the other 9 people, because I have no clue of what you are referencing. Other threads on the same subject or something like that? Sorry for the confusion, but your post leaves no real information about what you are even talking about...

As far as the XBOX One goes... I wouldn't purchase one now, or later, after seeing what their original plans for the system were.

These restrictions and requirements were absolutely real and MS was intending to implement them, had there not been an early, and severe, backlash from the consumer market. They are back-peddling now, trying to salvage what's left of their disasterous launch party, but their intentions are clear.

Anyone who is still considering an XBOX One should also be considering how long it will be until MS re-issues the restrictions and requirements that were originally planed for the console. It would be naive to think they have completely abandoned that marketing model and it will never be instituted.

Their intentions are out there and, even though they are no longer applied, I will not take the chance of being hosed several months down the road.

This debacle kinda reminds me of the 'Coke Classic' flop several years ago, the one that allowed Pepsi to explode in popularity and profitability.

edit on 19-6-2013 by esteay812 because: tyops

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

What is microsoft up to this time? another scamdal, those guys became greedy before a blink of an eye

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Gotta love the new Xbox 180, becuase they just pulled one due to customer reaction...hahahaha

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Anyone who is still considering an XBOX One should also be considering how long it will be until MS re-issues the restrictions and requirements that were originally planed for the console. It would be naive to think they have completely abandoned that marketing model and it will never be instituted.

Their intentions are out there and, even though they are no longer applied, I will not take the chance of being hosed several months down the road.

I have a hard time believing that microsoft would turn those features back on, If they think this backlash was bad then that one would be even worse and I think we would only see Sony and Nintendo in the console race for a very long time. I think that they thought we would just roll over and say oh well it's xbox I need my xbox. screw everything else. And the bad thinking on that is your competition is about if not more popular than you are. And especially this generation where Sony is a better machine and cheaper and I don't think Microsoft was ready for that.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Black_Fox

Contrary to the details announced earlier this month, Microsoft has now confirmed news originally reported on Giant Bomb that Xbox One will not require an internet connection to play offline games or need to check in every 24 hours; instead, internet will only be required when initially setting up the console.

I'm still not buying one after they tried to pull that crap on us. I hope the gamers avoid it as well. Send them a loud and clear message! Vote with your dollars.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
The thing is, the system is still inferior to PS4... almost 50% LESS on graphic engine.

They did a 180 in order to grab some people. So yes, this is a good way to get more people, but as for system specs, PS4 still winning.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
The thing is, the system is still inferior to PS4... almost 50% LESS on graphic engine.

They did a 180 in order to grab some people. So yes, this is a good way to get more people, but as for system specs, PS4 still winning.

The xbone also has overheating problems, so they had to downclock their system even more. It's going to grab the more casual gamers that were xbox fans before atleast some of them. I will probably end up with a Xbone but I need a few price drops before I do that.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

We've all heard that same spiel regarding the PS3 & Xbox360, though. Third party 360 games consistantly look better because the developers have an easier time harnessing a greater percentage of the system's power while they struggle like hell to work with Sony's architecture.

I don't get system fanboys, to be honest. I picked the 360 at launch because it had more exclusive games I was excited over. Eventually, after a few price drops, I bought a PS3 for use as a Blue Ray player and because they finally had enough exclusives I was interested in. I expect I'll do the same with this generation. It's not about the systems, it's about the games... For me Halo, Gears, and Dead Rising are probably enough to get me to go with M$ first again. Your mileage may vary.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons

I think I read somewhere that PlayStation will not be restricting games. So I would think it's a bad move on the part of Xbox. Xbox sales will definitely wain as consumers switch to the unrestricted game system.

That's a good thing though... Microsoft will have no choice but to give in, else loose the massive quantities invested in Xbox One.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Here is an article that provides a different perspective on the "180".
(Warning: extensive use of harsh language in link)

Don Mattrick's First Draft of the Xbox One Update Announcement

My first reaction to reading this was, is this really a Microsoft executive? I understand this man has made several very arrogant remarks in public regarding the reveal of the Xbox One, but seriously, an executive? Or simply a character?

In any case, I believe that if Microsoft fully communicated why the policies were they way they were, rather than being extremely vague, they would've recieved a different reaction to the console reveal. Not everyone is going to agree with their views but a simple explanation would've made a world of a difference and would make them look more credible.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that article was a joke.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by sandman441

Yeah, your right. My bad.
However this guy HAS been known to be pretty over-the-top.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Just the fact that Microsoft says that it strongly believes in its policy, to then later pull it back, says a lot. They won't be getting any money from me, that's for sure.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kalmah
reply to post by sandman441

Yeah, your right. My bad.
However this guy HAS been known to be pretty over-the-top.

yeah, I mean all you really have to do is look at all of his E3 interviews and the week after. Honestly if this was during that time I would be with you thinking it was real because they have said some stupid things.

new topics

top topics

join