It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

22,737 Pounds of Beef Recalled on E. Coli Fears

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Here we go again! Tainted food being released to the public, then recalled after it has a chance to make thousands sick, or kill them!
I'm disgusted with wondering if the food I buy in the market is going to kill me, or make me sick!

Is the FDA not doing its job during inspection? Or, is it a conspiracy to kill some off of the over-populated areas, then covering their tracks by coming back (after people have died, or become sick), and saying, "Oh, my bad! We need that meat recalled."

They, TPB, could also be in "cahoots" with the medical industry to send some "business" their way.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING would surprise me these days!

wtvr.com...

By Kat Kinsman –

The United States Food Safety and Inspection Service announced Tuesday 22,737 pounds of ground beef products are being recalled on fears that they may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recall is categorized by the FSIS as “Class I”: a health hazard situation where there is a reasonable probability that the use of the product will cause serious, adverse health consequences or death.

Recalled cases of beef from National Beef Packing Co. in Liberal, Kansas, include 10 pound packages of “National Beef” 80/20 Coarse Ground Chuck, package code “0481,” 10 pound packages of “National Beef” 81/19 Coarse Ground Beef, package code “0421″ 10 pound packages of “National Beef” 80/20 Fine Ground Chuck, package code “0484.” The affected products have a use/sell date of June 14, 2013 and were produced on May 25, 2013. Cases were shipped to institutions and retail establishments and FSIS has expressed concern that some product may remain in consumers’ freezers.

No illnesses have been reported in association with the consumption of these products. The contamination was found as a result of routine inspection by FSIS. Consumers with questions about the recall should contact the company at 877-857-4143 for details.

Additional information can be found at nationalbeef.com. Consumers with food safety questions are encouraged to contact “Ask Karen,” the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from l0 am to 4 pm ET Monday through Friday. -

Fast facts on E. coli According to the FSIS, E. coli is a potentially deadly bacterium that can cause bloody diarrhea, dehydration, and in the most severe cases, kidney failure. The very young, seniors and persons with weak immune systems are the most susceptible to foodborne illness. Consumers are advised to only consume ground beef that has been cooked all the way through to an internal temperature of 160°F.

edit on 6/19/2013 by sled735 because: correction

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Recalled cases of beef from National Beef Packing Co. in Liberal, Kansas,

i find that funny as hell right there.

Liberal, Kansas

but yeah, they haven't done their job for along time or this wouldn't happen at all.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The answer is clearly smaller government. If we had less food and safety inspectors things like this simply wouldn't happen.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by thishereguy
Recalled cases of beef from National Beef Packing Co. in Liberal, Kansas,

i find that funny as hell right there.

Liberal, Kansas

but yeah, they haven't done their job for along time or this wouldn't happen at all.

I was so outraged over this information that I totally missed that little tidbit.

That IS funny!

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Everything is about making as much money as possible. In that end, corners must be cut, whether legal or not.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I've just come to assume every meat is contaminated. All meat is dangerous until cooked or for cross contamination. It makes it simpler for teaching my son as well. If it isn't cooked 100%? It isn't safe to eat.

While trucking, I came to accept food poisoning 3-4 times a year as a regular part of life and business on the road. Sad...but true.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

The answer is clearly smaller government. If we had less food and safety inspectors things like this simply wouldn't happen.

the answer is simple: don't eat animal products.

as for your political spiel, the answer is not letting the food industry get so cozy with the FDA. our government is huge already, and there are laws against this already...they are simply ignored because of payoffs. if a company can make more money selling the meat, then recalling it and paying a fine, they'll do it. the FDA doesn't try to stop it because they get some of the action too.

For years, the federal Food and Drug Administration knew about contamination problems on California spinach farms and at a Georgia peanut butter processor that sickened at least 600 people and caused at least three deaths, according to agency documents and interviews obtained by the Washington Post.

www.wsws.org...

and your solution is to INCREASE the size of such agencies? increasing the size doesn't increase effectiveness, it gives them a bigger stake (steak?), and therefore more incentive to overlook things.
edit on 19-6-2013 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I'd much rather eat local bacteria than bacteria from Kansas.
Big recalls are not a rare thing anymore. I buy my meat locally, there is just as much chance of it being infected with bacteria but I often wonder how that happens anyway. Beef has chemistry to protect it from being eaten by bacteria. It can be aged for many weeks without problems, it just gets tastier as it ages from the effect of natural enzymes. I don't understand how bacteria can even eat beef myself, the Propyl compounds in it stop that till it is all used up. Maybe it has something to do with the food fed to the commercial beef or something.
edit on 19-6-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
and your solution is to INCREASE the size of such agencies? increasing the size doesn't increase effectiveness, it gives them a bigger stake (steak?), and therefore more incentive to overlook things.

These agencies are staffed with people. You increase the amount of people in the agencies, and it gets harder and harder to keep a lid on your wrong doing. Look at the military and the NSA. They get bigger and bigger and with each size increment, the size and importance of the leaks getting out grows and grows.

The government is one area that needs to be constantly monitored. I don't trust small government because small governments are easier to corrupt.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

Look at the military and the NSA. They get bigger and bigger and with each size increment, the size and importance of the leaks getting out grows and grows.

another way to put what you're saying is that as agencies get bigger and bigger, they engage in larger, more illegal, activities.

you then say this is a good thing because the increase in corruption is bound to cause someone to leak something.

you say you want to monitor the government, that isn't true. what you want is for the government to monitor the government. this creates a bloated creature full of corruption that is much larger and harder to tackle than a small government would be.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sled735
Is the FDA not doing its job during inspection?

It's not the FDA, it's the USDA. They have staff on site at all the meat plants, and nothing can be pulled out of there until it's been inspected by them. They don't inspect for contamination of the meat itself, but that it was packed properly, and processed properly.

I think I've pulled out of that plant. I know I've hauled for National Beef before, but I don't remember if it was out of there or not, but the plant at Liberal sounds familiar.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
You know for every pound of ground beef you buy there is meat from thousands of cows in there all mixed together. If they would just stop THIS they would reduce the risk of infection by bacteria dramatically.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by sled735

You know what I think it is, people not cleaning their equipment right. Chances are they slacked off on their big grinder and spread e coli because of sloppy untrained or lazy workers.

But that's just a hunch and a little bit of butcher knowledge.

new topics

top topics

join